3rd Trimester
Options

Can you go into labor with no huge warning signs beforehand?

I'm just at the point now where I'm waiting. I've been having Braxton Hicks for awhile and recently I have been really uncomfortable, especially with pressure down there. Other than that though, there are no big signs that anything is coming.

I've read and heard that often times in the 24-48 hours before you go into labor you may: Start vomiting/have diarrhea......  Get a sudden burst of energy and go into nesting mode...... The baby drops (Mine has not).......I also don't think I've lost my mucus plug.

So I'm kind of waiting for one of those aforementioned things to happen, but often do you go into labor without any of those things happening? I am obviously a first time mom. I hate not knowing when she is going to come!!

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Can you go into labor with no huge warning signs beforehand?

• Options
    Thanks for your response! I am not concerned that I am currently in labor.... my BHs have been very irregular and not very painful. I am now just in waiting mode and dying to know when she is coming...... and probably overthinking everything! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    You will generally have an idea that labor is coming from when your doctor checks you, if you are dilating at all, cervic shortening/softening etc. My baby had been really low for about 2 weeks before I had him... My big sign I was in labor??? My water broke... No contractions, nesting or anything...
    imageimage BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kg_08kg_08 member
    I thought for sure I was going to have to be induced. I had NO signs until  labor actually started. Mucus plug was lost a couple hours after contractions started.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CHI-06CHI-06 member

oh absolutely!  With my first I had my 37wk appt on a Tuesday and had my first internal and was completely closed up.  Never had a braxton hicks, anything.  Woke up that Thursday morning to my water breaking and then contractions started... didn't see that one coming!

With my second I had contractions off and on for like a month before the baby came...braxton hicks I guess.  Then one night they didn't seem to be stopping but they still weren't really painful... when I decided to start timing them they wer 5-7minutes apart already and were pretty consistent.  I times them for an hour and a half before going in....they were 1-2minutes apart by the time I got checked in.  Once again....no real signs that was coming either. 

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Options

With my first I had no clue I was in labor. I was 1 week late & I had increased pressure but nothing to alarming. I went to the Doc and got checked. I wasn't dialated but I was having contractions (that I couldn't feel). They sent me home and told me it would be at least 3-4 days before my baby came.

About 10 hrs later the pressure came back and when I went to the hospital again. This time I was 10 cm dilated, they broke my water and had my son within the hour of getting to the hospital.

So it is quite possible to have no warning signs prior to labor.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    For me....the day I went into labor I had constant BH's.  They weren't painful but there were a lot of them all day long.  Those BH's eventually got stronger by about midnight.  There was no denying it once the real contractions started up.  There was a big difference between the two.
  • Options

Yep, it's possible.  I never had any BH with my first.  At 2:30AM I woke up and had to go poop really bad.  Went back to bed and at 3:30AM woke up with contractions.  I had my baby at 8:58AM. 

I was only 2 centimeters dialated at my appointment the day before. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options

Yes i had NO warning signs until i went into labor which is why i think i was in denial the first few hours!  i never lost MP, never had BH or anything like that just went into labor 2 wks overdue mind you!

GL

• Options
    yup. went to the gym the morning of labor, didn't feel any different. Never lost a mucous plug, no bloody show just some irregular contractions and I was admitted at 6 cm. I wondered if I would have a premonition or something and asked this question with my first.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• Options

I would say so... my BFF had an induction scheduled for this Thursday. She texted me at 11:00 last night about what time she had to be there on Thursday, etc. She had her baby about an hour ago, so 12 hours later. 

She got to the hospital at 6 am this morning at 5cm dilated. So sometime after when she texted me last night and 6 a.m. this morning, she went into active labor with no clue it was happening the night before. Hope you have the same luck. She would've been 39 weeks on Thursday, so looks like y'all had the same due date! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

For me, labor felt completely random with no tell-tale signs it was coming... but when I started replaying the day in my head afterward (hindsight) I realized it should have been really obvious. I was in kind of a manic mood all day, I had tons of energy and literally didn't sit down all day. I just kept cleaning and taking the dog for a walk. I also had contractions most of the day, but they weren't painful at all. At the end of the night my lower back was kiiiilling me, so much so that I could barely speak, but I figured it was because I was on my feet all day... didn't think once that I was laboring.

I think it's hard to decipher it all while it's happening because everything could mean something or nothing. As you get closer to the end, you kind of get used to getting random bursts of energy, contractions, lower back pain, etc (at least I did)! Even after my water broke I was in denial because it wasn't this huge gush, it was more like a slow leak, ha. 

I know it's hard, but try not to over-analyze. Just go about your days as usual, and know that when it's "go time" your body will unmistakably tell you!

DD #1 4 years old (09/22/09)
    DD #2 2 years old (08/17/11)
    DD #3 born 08/29/13

• Options
    Yup .. other than being overdue 7 days with both my kids I had no warning when labour started. I went to bed feeling normal and expecting to wake up a few hours later for my induction both times and ended up waking up about 2hrs later in labour.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

yes you can have no major signs of labor and go into it.  i didn't have any signs of labor, woke up thinking i was having major poop cramps, went to the bathroom, and dh had to convince me it was more than poop cramps lol.

good thing he did or else i'd have had ds on the pot! LOL     so an hour after i got up and had gotten to the hospital, i was 4cm, and very much in labor.  6hrs later ds was born. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had zero warning with my ds.  I went to bed feeling fine and woke up at 6 am to my water breaking.  I hadn't had a single contraction (that I could feel) up to this point. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had ZERO warning with DD. I hadn't experienced a single BH contraction, was not dilated/effaced AT ALL. Then I woke up to my water breaking at 4AM.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"