TTC after 35

question re $$

So we are just starting the process and we have our consult after thehysteroscopy Friday so we will discuss all labs, tests etc.

What I am wondering is if we get started on IUI protocol, I know there are several ultrasounds.  Are you charged for each of these are are they included in the price?

Thoughts? 

My little girl is growing up! (born 12/09) Little brother is here! (born 5/2012) .  Missing our sweet baby lost in December 2013.  Thank you Lord for my precious family!

Re: question re $$

• Mine were all charged separately.  Strangely, my insurance covered the 2 I had for the first medicated cycle where we did TI.  The following 2 cycles where we did IUI they didn't cover them.  Thankfully I only needed one ultrasound for those two cycles.
  • Everything is on an individual basis for us. They gave us a pricing sheet too. Unfortunately, u/s are not fully covered for us so it is adding up and has a lot to do with why we can only do this once. I envy people who have this stuff covered- what a blessing!
  • We pay for the whole cycle up front. The Clomid cycles include two monitoring ultrasounds (although I got three ultrasounds out of one cycle without having to pay any more) and the injectable cycles include 3 or 4 ultrasounds.

Clomid/IUI cycles were $760 (we didn't do any bloodwork with Clomid) and injectable/IUI cycles were $1200 (which includes bloodwork for estrogen levels). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're charged for each test, u/s, procdeure, appointment, etc separately.

I am really thanking the stars for my insurance coverge. So far we've only had to pay a tiny percentage of the charges OOP. We're well covered, and I'm so grateful for it.

But we're COBRA-ing my health insurance from my last full time job (I"m freelance now), and it ends in 6 months. So I either need to get KU-ed or find a full time job w/ benefits before then. Let's hope it's the former!

You should be able to sit down w/ someone in billing from your dr.'s office and go through what each test will cost and when you'll have to do them.

Me = 38, Husband = 31. TTC since 1/10. M/C at 8 wks 5/10. Started trying again 9/10. All tests normal: AMH/MIS, FSH, HSG, SA. Estradoil high. 6/20/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN. 7/17/11 - Clomid+IUI#2=BFN. 2 natural cycles = BFN. 10/6/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFN. 10/31/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#4 = BFN. 11/26/11 - Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI#5 = BFN. IVF#1 - Menopur+Follistim. 2 ET 5/11/12 = BFN.
  • My insurance gets charged separately for each of them, and we pay what is left over.  We only have coverage for IUIs; I wonder if it is different for IVF (and if you are OOP)?

Me: 38, DH 40 TTC #1 since 8/09 CP 10/09.
    3/11 Clomid-Ovidrel-IUI #1-progesterone= BFN.
    5/11 Femara-Bravelle-Ovidrel-IUI#2-progesterone=BFN.
    6/11 Femara-Ovidrel-IUI#3-progesterone=BFP!
    Beta #1 7/1: 39. Beta #2 7/5: 301 U/S 7/19 - saw HB!!
    EDD 3/12/12
    DD born 3/5/12
  • image danish16:

My insurance gets charged separately for each of them, and we pay what is left over.  We only have coverage for IUIs; I wonder if it is different for IVF (and if you are OOP)?

We are OOP and that is why we get the package deal. If we had insurance, they would bill for each thing separately. Insurance gets billed at a higher rate, because they usually only pay a percentage of what they are billed (they negotiate lower rates with the clinics). So our clinic gives OOP patients the same discount as insurance. I'm sure it is different for different clinics, but that's how it works for us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • we have had to pay for each and every thing...  It's not cheap, so we may be living in a tent by the time we finally have a baby.    It's only money and there is never enough.   Sucks being OOP, but I guess we all start making sacrifices for our kids before we even have them.