Photography

Canon 75-300mm lens

Anyone have feedback on this lens? I can buy it for $160 and don't know if it is worth it. Any feedback would be helpful. TIA!!

Re: Canon 75-300mm lens

• What lenses do you have and why do you want this particular length? This might help us answer this. I personally don't have it so can't give feedback :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just have the lens kit now. I am thinking ahead for when the kids are playing sports or I want to take a scenic picture. IF someone has another lens for those types of pictures that is affordable I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
  • FYI - it's about $12 cheaper new on Amazon.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love zoom lenses. I've had the kit lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-250 (both came with the XSi when I bought it) and I used the second one about 90% of the time. So I think you'd like the range on the 75-300. I don't know what your budget is, but since this one is cheap, you won't go wrong that way. That being said, you're going to need lots of light for this, I'm assuming the aperture on it is 4.5 or 5 or something, like the kit lens? That means you're really going to need a well lit environment. So keep that in mind. Some will advise you to save up and buy better glass, and that's very sound advice, but also, good glass for a zoom is going to be pretty expensive. Unless you buy the Tamron, it's always recommended on here and it's about 500-600. If that's not in your budget for this year or maybe the next, then definitely get a zoom lens. You can get the 55-250 for about 200 new now, btw. I'm not sure if this helped. There are many awesome ladies on this board and I'm sure they'll help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Annyong:
    I love zoom lenses. I've had the kit lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-250 (both came with the XSi when I bought it) and I used the second one about 90% of the time. So I think you'd like the range on the 75-300. I don't know what your budget is, but since this one is cheap, you won't go wrong that way. That being said, you're going to need lots of light for this, I'm assuming the aperture on it is 4.5 or 5 or something, like the kit lens? That means you're really going to need a well lit environment. So keep that in mind. Some will advise you to save up and buy better glass, and that's very sound advice, but also, good glass for a zoom is going to be pretty expensive. Unless you buy the Tamron, it's always recommended on here and it's about 500-600. If that's not in your budget for this year or maybe the next, then definitely get a zoom lens. You can get the 55-250 for about 200 new now, btw. I'm not sure if this helped. There are many awesome ladies on this board and I'm sure they'll help.

I have to agree with this. I have it and it's okay. It was one of the first lenses I bought and don't use it unless I absolutely need the zoom. I would also suggest saving if you plan on using it in uncontrolled environments. I am actually thinking about selling mine because I use it so infrequently.  I say if you need it now, go for it but if you're just trying to have a good selection of lenses that you wait it out and save for it.

claire bear

3 lil bears

• I think that version doesn't have IS right?  I would skip a lens that long without IS, no matter how cheap.  If you can't save up for at least the 70-300 IS (I won't even suggest the 70-200 options since it doesn't sound like you are willing to spend that much) the 55-250 might be a better option since that at least has IS. 
  • Thank you ladies! I don't need it now so I think I will be saving for a better lens for down the road.