Baby Showers

What's appropriate Office shower etiquette re: who to invite?

I'm a first time mom-to-be who has worked at a large company for 6 years now.

I have a great relationship with many of the ladies in my office, although I'm a little shy about my personal life. So I was thrilled and honored that a group of my coworkers asked if they could throw me a shower, and would I send them a list of invitees.

This could be tricky! I have a great working relationship with many of the ladies in my office, but I am terrified some of the girls I don't know so well will feel snubbed if they aren't invited, especially since they sit next to those who will be invited. I also don't want to invite too many people, since I know the hostesses will be paying for the food, etc out of their own pockets.

Suffice to say, we don't have baby showers in our office often, so I am very unsure about how to go about this in a sensitive matter. Any advice? Thank you very much!

Re: What's appropriate Office shower etiquette re: who to invite?

• I work at a really large school.  Usually, when a shower of any sort is held on campus they send out a general invitation to the whole staff.  If you know the person and want to go, great.  If not, you don't go and it's no big deal.  I'm not a fan of these generic invitations but most people don't seem to mind them.  If it were me, I would invite the people with whom I'm friends.  For those others, if you would go to theirs I'd invite them.  Otherwise, probably not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you should find out from your coworkers what they had in mind in regard to the shower- did they want to host a WORK shower? If so, I agree with PP about opening the invite to all who you work with (but I also work at a large school where this sort of mass invite is standard and doesn't offend anyone's sense of etiquitte...plus, the expectation is that there are just light snacks provided and most people come for about an hour after work.  It's not a traditional "shower" in that sense).
  • Loading the player...
  • Great points everyone, thank you for sharing! I plan to sit down with the hostesses and request that a mass invite be sent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"