Special Needs

ASD and behavior issues

For moms of children with an ASD- if your child has/had behavior problems (e.g. tantrums, disruptive), at what age did these issues first surface? And what types of problematic behaviors did you see? TIA!

Re: ASD and behavior issues

• In my DS's case we started noticing tantrums, disruptive behaviours around 18 months old. In fact everyone who met DS mentioned how easy baby he is. But only recently, he has been throwing tantrums for every little thing. It also could be that he is close to terrible twos. No one knows for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • image July_2009:
    In my DS's case we started noticing tantrums, disruptive behaviours around 18 months old. In fact everyone who met DS mentioned how easy baby he is. But only recently, he has been throwing tantrums for every little thing. It also could be that he is close to terrible twos. No one knows for sure.

My DS has not been diagnosed yet, (our evaluation is in August) but I could have written this exact thing.

• My DS was a pretty unpleasant infant until he could sit up and play. He was very intense but has never tantrummed.

The earliest symptoms of his autism were hyperlexic speech and intense special interests.

• DS doesn't really tantrum, but he's started slapping and hitting himself in the last two weeks. And, for about the last two months, he'll throw things and pull toys/books off bookshelves while looking right at me and shouting "OWWW!!!" if he doesn't get his way. So, for us, it started relatively late, around 25 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • when he went to school for the first time @5 years old