Northern California Babies

Are baby shower guest books important?

I'm already super stressed about a shower I kind of got thrown into co-hosting. It's a long story, but I'm kind of bitter about the whole thing, but really trying to have a good attitude about it. 

A while ago, I brought up a cute idea that I saw at another shower to the mom to be (getting Little Golden Books and having guests write messages and sign those instead of a guest book, that way the baby has a little starter library). She said she liked the idea.

The more I thought about it, the less sure I am I want to do it. First, it's really expensive, and I'm already spending more money on the shower than I anticipated (a lot more stuff got pushed onto my plate at the request of the mom to be and the other hostess). Those books are pretty expensive. I'd need about 25 of them and I don't have money to buy them all from Toys R Us or something, and I don't have time to go rummaging at Goodwill or second hand bookstores. Second, the mom to be rents one room from a friend's house. She, her boyfriend, their one year old, and this baby will all be living in that one room. Based on what she's told me about their living situation, I don't know that she'll have space to store all those books.

So then, I thought I'd just get a regular guest book for people to sign. But, I'm wondering if it's even that important or necessary to have a guest book. Do you still have your guest book from your baby shower and look through it? Is it really a keepsake, or something that will have to be stored for years and years, but never really have a purpose? Do I have to get the Little Golden Books since I already mentioned them? Would you be disappointed if you were the mom to be in this scenario? Should I forgo the guest book altogether, or is it crucial to have one? (I'm not a mom, so I'm not sure how much importance is attached to something like this.)

Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are baby shower guest books important?

• I don't think the guest book is important at all.  I didn't have one and have never even thought about it.  We did have one at our wedding, and I never look at that one either.

That said, I love the book idea, but I would just buy ONE.  Have everyone sign one children's book (Little Golden Book or otherwise).  There is a ton of white space in the entire book, and that will be one, cheap, cute lil keepsake from the shower.

• imageMeritage:

I don't think the guest book is important at all.  I didn't have one and have never even thought about it.  We did have one at our wedding, and I never look at that one either.

That said, I love the book idea, but I would just buy ONE.  Have everyone sign one children's book (Little Golden Book or otherwise).  There is a ton of white space in the entire book, and that will be one, cheap, cute lil keepsake from the shower.

Fabulous idea! I love it!

Any suggestions on a book that would make a nice keepsake? Maybe a nursery rhyme book? Any favorites out there?

ETA: the couple is religious (Christian), so nursery rhymes, bible stories/verses, classic/fairy tales, and other "bedtime-sh" book suggestions are all welcome! Thank you so much!

• Loading the player...
  • No.

BUT, after saying that I remembered I have a frame mat that everyone signed... Iput a pic of me & DH in it while I was pg (this was with Alex) it was taken the day of the shower.  Everyone wrote nice messages on it and it hung in his nursery, it's a nice keepsake.  I have one for SImon as well, the same one, but I have to print the picture still (poor second kid).  They sell it as a set at Micheals, and it's a white frame with a white mat with a teensy bit of yellow and green in it.

Maybe an option?  Easy?

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah, a guest book at a baby shower is so NOT important.  Don't stress out about it all! 

For my shower, my friends got a simple, pretty journal and asked people to write letters to me and DH giving us advice about being parents.  That was fun -although I haven't looked at it in a long time.  ;) 

Ditto Meritage, if you want to do a book just do one book.  I went to a shower where they did that and I thought it was a great idea!   Do you know if your friend is having a boy or a girl?  B/c these books are wonderful:
    https://www.amazon.com/Someday-Alison-McGhee/dp/1416928111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307458933&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Boy-Alison-McGhee/dp/141695872X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307458933&sr=1-2

Whatever you choose just remember that you have to stay on top of people to fill them out.  People get distracted w/other shower activities, etc.  So announce it at the beginning of the shower and leave it out for people to fill out at their leisure.  But then at a certain point make sure you go to individuals and remind them to "sign in" or put the book or whatever right in their face so they can't forget.  ;) 

• imageMrs_Shmoopie:

Someday made me cry in Target when I saw it for the first time.  We were TTC then and I stood in Target crying while reading.  And then after C was born, a dear family friend sent the BEST baby gift ever and included Little Boy.  And it made me cry too.  Awesome books.  :)

• I don't think a guest book is important at all.

However, since you already told the mom to be about this idea, I don't think you can scrap the idea entirely.  I would consider buying one book and having people write on the pages OR go to the dollar store and buy individual books there.  Sure, they might not be the little golden books, but it might be the cheaper way to still pull off your cute idea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMeritage:

I don't think the guest book is important at all.  I didn't have one and have never even thought about it.  We did have one at our wedding, and I never look at that one either.

Another vote for this!

• imageMy.ABC.Life:
    imageMeritage:

Another vote for this!

And another!

At my shower they had a small scrapbook and everyone could go over and make a page however they wanted, and leave space for me to add pictures later. I really like it and think it will be a neat keepsake for R to look back at later. There was a table set up with construction paper, stickers, scissors and markers that everyone went to during the shower. 

• I'd vote for/lean towards one book too.  It'll be nice to have it all in one place.  At my shower this last weekend, everyone wrote on notecards that said across the top "Words of Wisdom for S...&T..." and I loooooved reading through them that night, and will definitely hold onto them and keep them all together in a safe place to look back on often.  They made me weepy reading them...I treasure them.  I would have had no idea prior to this last weekend, but now I do think it's nice to have some words of love, wisdom, etc. from shower guests for the mom-to-be to hold onto.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • CelynCelyn member
    I didn't have one and don't think I've ever been to a shower that had one.  I like the one book and the picture mat ideas.
  •  Just wanted to update! I ordered this Richard Scarry book for the shower.

I can't wait for everyone to sign it! I'm also going to order "On the Night You Were Born" to give as a gift when she has the baby (Huz and I are Godparents, so we'll be there when he's born). And, I'm going to get a few of the other books (including "Little Boy") for other special events. Thank you all so so so very much for your help and wonderful suggestions!

• artist1320artist1320 member
    edited April 2014
    I used a Hallmark baby book as my guestbook that we passed around and everyone wrote down what they brought as a gift so we didn't have to record it. Also, we had a stuffed animal to sign and passed around the tables. It was something to keep everyone busy and I still have both.

That being said, I've seen some other really cute ideas like a fingerprint guest book tree on Etsy. You could frame it and put it in the babies room.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"