Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Babyproofing Kitchen Cabinets, Please help!

So we have done some remodeling and have built a new room on our house just for the dogs.  They used to stay in the kitchen and the floor was gross all the time.  Since they have their new room, the doggy gate can now come down and my daughter can come in anytime!

Here is the problem:  we bought the brand Safety 1st cabinet child proof locks, the one where you drill the long part on the door, and the tab on the upper part of the cabinet, so the longer part catches the tab when pulled open.

THEY DON'T WORK.  My daughter can easily just pull the cabinet open and the tab catches, but just slips right throught, therefore opening the cabinet wide open! 

My question:  What brand of childproof cabinet locks do you have?  I need to buy some good ones fast.

Thank you in advance for your help! Smile

Re: Babyproofing Kitchen Cabinets, Please help!

• imagefredalina:

We have some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Locks-Magnetic-Tot-Starter/dp/B000HKVVH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307410756&sr=8-1

We also have the kind you have and they work for us pretty well (unless she yanks, but we don't have anything dangerous in the lower cabinets anyway).

This is exactly what I was going to recommend.  We have them and absolutely love them!  I think they are so much safer because no one can even crack them open a bit and get any fingers stuck.  And you can set them so the locking mechanism is temporarily deactivated if you are doing stuff in the kitchen and don't want to constantly use the magnet if LO isn't around.  It is a lot of work to drill holes and get them set up, but I highly recommend the magnetic locks!   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think the magnetic locks are the only ones we havn't tried they are expensive but might have been cheaper if we just used them first

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Loading the player...
  • We have the same ones you're talking about and they work really well,  It took a little figuring out at first exactly where to position them so maybe you just need to move the long part up a little higher on the door (yeah, a PITA to drill again). 

We also have some of the ones that loop around the knobs (like this but a different brand like safety 1st I think) and that slide lock.  Both work really well.  

I've heard people say good things about those magnetic ones too.

Didn't work well:  these strap things were rubbish, IMO

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Sounds like you need to reposition the locks.  We had to do that on a couple of cabinets.  We also gave DS a cabinet and when he starts playing with the cabinets I redirect him to that one that has old tupperware, an old pot and some pretend fruit and he normally is pretty happy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"