Don't tell my OB but...

2»

Re: Don't tell my OB but...

• Options
    imagechristiney06:
    imagemrsdugger:
    imagechristiney06:

imageFunMom2Be:
    Not mine... she say's it's because of the lysteria bacteria in them, and I should heat up the meat for 15 minutes...but it's all in moderation.

wow, two totally untrue statements.   after 15 min. the meat would be like shoe rubber! i hope she has a clue about things that matter!  

I'm sure that it was more like 15 seconds and the op misheard or just plain remembered wrong...and the other part is not "untrue".  Lunchmeats do carry a heightened risk for carrying, or however you want to say it, listeria.  While the non-pregnant you may never be effected by consuming something that contains listeria (you might never even know what you ate contained the bacteria... although it does cause many deaths and sickness every year), a fetus does not have the means to protect itself against the bacteria like a healthy adult however which is why the risk is greater.  Hence why dr's as well as the American Pregnancy Association reccomend no soft cheeses (the important thing is really whether or not thy're pasturized), and unpasturized products, and deli meat that is not heated to a temp. of 160degrees.  Heating to that temp. ensures that the bacteria can not live. I've taken many food safety courses over the course of getting my culinary and FSM degrees and ALL of them focused heavily on the fact that listeria could be harmful to pregnant women, small children, and the elderly.  I'm certainly not saying that any of you are horrible for taking a chance...because obviously it's not like you've got a 80% chance of eating a listeria ridden piece of turkey...but sometimes I swear everyone just starts laying into the op on these things trying to make them feel dumb when they don't exactly know what they're talking about themselves.

SERIOUSLY?

did you really have to C&P some info about Lysteria like anyone was going to have a lightbulb moment after reading it? believe me, I know all the facts about lysteria. the poster made it seem like all lunch meat has lysteria bacteria, that is why i said it was an untrue statement.  i'm sorry even if she heard 15 min. on mistake, common sense should tell you that would destroy the lunch meat.

I get it, there is a TINY risk, like a PP pointed out, you are more at risk driving in your car everyday yet no one just walks instead.   thanks for chiming in w/ your nonsense though, it was entertaining! i've been around for 5ys, you and your 46 posts can simmer down. 

Let me tell you something real quick and then I'm done bothering with your ignorance.  This website is meant to be a sense of support for women who are all in the same boat.  Jumping down someone's throat and telling them they have no common sense is not meant to be supportive it's meant to be ugly and make you look good.  I'm very proud of you for having wasted 5 years of your life posting countless rude comments to people who make innocent comments, really I am.  I really hope one day to be able to say I am so accomplished.  For now however, I'm going to stick by my comment because no matter how small that risk is, it is a risk that involves my child's life and can be easily avoided by not eating a stupid sandwhich...which is slighly different than the calculated risk of driving versus walking the 60 miles I would have to travel to work. I'm sure you know more than the American Pregnancy Association and the many OB's who are smart enough to tell their patients to heed their advice. I mean, 5 years on the bump...that's something.

Oh yeah...SERIOUSLY.

Wow, this makes 47 posts....I wonder if they'll send me some kind of award when I hit 50?! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

how am i ignorant?? (insult #1) IMO, it's not worth getting your panties in a bunch over a .05% risk, just eat the damn sandwich and don't post about what a rebel you are. this website is absolutely NOT meant for just support, lurk for 2 seconds and you will realize that.  it's a message board, and with that comes good and bad.  you take thousands of pregnant women and put them in one place and sh*t happens.  I didn't jump down anyone's throat, i was just stating my opinion that the posters Dr. was giving out false info.  if you consider that harsh than you must not read a lot of posts. 

you've been around for 3 months, so obviously you haven't figured out how this place works yet.  that's fine, but don't go defending people who are clueless w/out expecting this type of response.  why was it ok for you to say i didn't know what i was talking about? (insult #2) the 5yrs i've been around have not been a waste, but thanks for another insult (#3). looks like YOU are the one that is ugly and attacking someone!

I have learned a lot and made many IRL friends through the Knot/Nest/Bump.   it's a great resource of information but if i want support, i turn to the real people in my life, not strangers on the internet. 

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am on my 3rd pregnancy and I ate deli meat with my last two and have with this one as well. My OB never told me about the no deli meat rule, so i was kind of oblivious to it. I am happy to report that my kids are healthy and happy - no listeria here. :) My hubby is a physician and he just laughs at some of the things they say not to do. it's never a bad thing to be too cautious, but sometimes I think the things we google can really be too much!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsG.060708:
    My OB is perfectly okay with me eating deli meat.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemrsdugger:
    I'm sure you know more than the American Pregnancy Association and the many OB's who are smart enough to tell their patients to heed their advice.

so is my OB stupid for telling me that if I can eat a COLD sandwich if I buy meat from a reputable place and from a reputable brand?  What about the other ladies' OBs who told them the same thing.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"