Baby Names

Wavering on our boy name

We don't know what we are having.  We are completely lost on a girl's name, but we thought we were squared on a boys name, Caleb John.  So today we were talking and decided we both like the name Declan and would call the baby "Dex."  I really like Dex, but Caleb is nice too.  Now we don't know what to do and we still have a girls name to pick.  What do you think?
[Poll]

Re: Wavering on our boy name

• SS: You have plenty of time to make this decision. I wouldn't stress about it yet. Let the two names sink in. If all else, bring both names to the hospital and see which name your son fits. OR... save Declan for son #2.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • If it matters to you, Caleb is top 50 and he would likely be one of several in his school. It's a fad name. I like Declan! It is unique enough that he would have his own identity. Nice nickname, too!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Not a fan of Caleb esp. the meaning. Dog, That's it. Dog. I'd definitely choose Declan.
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • imageally_jade:
    If it matters to you, Caleb is top 50 and he would likely be one of several in his school. It's a fad name. I like Declan! It is unique enough that he would have his own identity. Nice nickname, too!

In my area Declan is becoming really popular and I would call it trendy.  I think Caleb is generally more common, but classic.

• I love Declan !

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • ames71ames71 member

imageally_jade:
    If it matters to you, Caleb is top 50 and he would likely be one of several in his school. It's a fad name. I like Declan! It is unique enough that he would have his own identity. Nice nickname, too!

While Caleb is certainly popular, I wouldn't label it a "fad" name. It's been in the top 100 for the last 22 years. That aside, I chose Declan. I think it's just a much more interesting name and I love the nn Dex.

They're both great names though. Good luck deciding!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I say keep them both on the list and take them to the hospital. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageally_jade:

Caleb is a "fad name?" I disagree. It's been around for a while and has hardly cropped up over night. Of the two, I'd say Declan is the trendy one. 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Caleb is at the top of my most hated list. I have no negative associations with the name and I know lots of people really love it, but it seriously makes me cringe. I think it sounds cheesy... especially on an adult.

Declan nn. Dex is absolutely fabulous. I love it! Less common and adorable nickname. Two thumbs waaaay up from me on that one. Classy. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • imageforensicmama:
    SS: You have plenty of time to make this decision. I wouldn't stress about it yet. Let the two names sink in. If all else, bring both names to the hospital and see which name your son fits. OR... save Declan for son #2.

Yep. All of this.  

• imagePhilsWife07:

imageally_jade:

Caleb is a "fad name?" I disagree. It's been around for a while and has hardly cropped up over night. Of the two, I'd say Declan is the trendy one. 

I know 3 Declans. I have never met a Caleb. Declan has to be the trendy one.

Jessica- owner of 2 year old black lab, Rozcoe mom to Kristen and Salvatore expecting little one due Dec. 31, 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I love Caleb. I know someone pointed out that Caleb means dog, but Caleb in the Bible was one of the men chosen to enter the promised land and report on what was there. He and Joshua were the only 2 that returned with good news. Because of this, God allowed he and Joshua to survive the 40 years in the desert and enter the promised land as a reward for their faith. God refers to him as "my servant", a title he had only previously used for Moses. I have a great association with it because of this.

I've noticed that Declan is popular on name sites, but I've never liked it. I strongly dislike the nn Dex. It sounds like the noun decks and it reminds me of a software/building company or superhero or something.... (Sorry!).

• I prefer Declan to Caleb and think that the nn Dex is super cute!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Declan! It's one of our boy names!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"