Cincinnati Babies

NBR: fishbowl effect in new glasses?

So this is a total shot in the dark, but I just got new glasses (frames and lenses).  My prescription is not very strong and only changed just slightly.  I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl, it's fine right in front of me but every time I turn my head or look to the side I feel like I'm spinning and dizzy or looking underwater.  The lady at the optical shop said it's normal and give it 2 weeks to adjust.  I've never had this with glasses before.  Anyone know if this is normal or not?

Re: NBR: fishbowl effect in new glasses?

• Katelyn just got a new prescription and she wont keep her glasses on at all. I wonder if this could be part of the reason why?
  • I hope not for her sake, I keep feeling like I either just got off a roller coaster or like I'm going to puke.  It's every time I slightly turn my head or look to the side.
  • Definitely go back in. This happened to me the last time I got glasses (I went to JC Penney-- mistake!) and they said I would get used to it and it was a result of a new, stronger prescription. I only wear glasses for about ten minutes every night so I gave it some time. Well, after two weeks it wasn't better and I was getting ready to take them back in for a new pair when our house sold and I ended up having to deal with that. By the time I made it back in to JC Penney, my "return period" was up and they would not repair the lenses without extra cost to me. It was a mess. If it's that bad after a day or two, I'd definitely go back in.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have been wearing glasses since I was 4.5 and I literally get that everytime I wear  new ones.  Now I wear contacts 100% of the time, so on the rare occassion I put on my glasses, it happens every time.  LIterally after a week or so I get used to them, but the initial couple of days of wearing them I always get that.  It seems like the floor is bowed down and the world is moving at a different pace than I am.  LOL.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image MrsMoher:

I have been wearing glasses since I was 4.5 and I literally get that everytime I wear  new ones.  Now I wear contacts 100% of the time, so on the rare occassion I put on my glasses, it happens every time.  LIterally after a week or so I get used to them, but the initial couple of days of wearing them I always get that.  It seems like the floor is bowed down and the world is moving at a different pace than I am.  LOL.

Thanks, that sounds a lot like what is happening.  I'll try wearing them consistently and see what happens.  Hopefully I can get used to it.

• I had the same problem when I got my new pair last summer.  I almost killed myself stepping off the curb because I didn't notice a difference until then.  Your eyes should adjust within a day or two.
  • Do you have astigmatism?  Did it change at all?  Mine was always mild so they never did anything to my lenses for years.  The first time they included that in the prescription I was miserable, thought I was falling down stairs, etc.  My depth perception was way, way off until I got used to the new lenses.  Now they change the astigmatism adjustment a little bit every couple of years and if I grab one of my old pairs of glasses in an emergency I feel like I'm dizzy & falling down.
  • Daves_sweetpea, I do have slight astigmatism, maybe that is it.  This is also the first time my prescription has changed since I got glasses 16 years ago, so maybe that is also why it's so weird to me.  I've had new glasses before, but always the same prescription.  We're on day 2 now and it's better, but still kinda trippy when I turn my head to look at things.  I'm going to give it a few more days and see how it goes.