3rd Trimester

which bottles to choose??

Anyone else feel clueless when it comes to which bottles to use?? I find myself in the stores just staring at all the choices and still walking out empty handed! It's almost overwhelming! Does it really matter which ones I choose?? Do I get 2 different kinds if I plan to breastfeed for a few weeks then chnage to formula?? What kind are you choosing??

Re: which bottles to choose??

• I heard that some babies can be really picky about what bottles they take ... so don't go and stock up on any one brand. You might have to try a few out and see what your LO likes. I plan on breastfeeding (but eventually need to send LO to daycare), so I bought Dr. Brown's to try out first and see...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used Playtex drop-ins for DD and when DS is ready we'll use them for him too.  We also used the Vent-aire ones by Playtex and they were fine too, and the Vent-aire "wide" are interchangable with the drop-ins. 

If I were you, I would get 1 small 4-6 ounce bottle of like two brands and if your baby does fine with one, return the other one and pick up a gift/starter set of that type.  Like, get one Playtex Drop-in bottle and one Dr. Browns (or Born Free, or whatever).  Try one or the other with your LO.  If they take it just fine great - return the other one and buy a starter set of that one.  If they don't take the first one you try, try the other brand and so on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I do have to say though, I much preferred the Playtex Nursers.  Yes you have to buy the liners (one big box of them, about 100ct., lasts about 1 month and costs around $8) and the drop-ins are super easy to use - and it's way easier than having to wash whole bottles.  There are also no little parts to lose or have to worry about getting clean - there's a nipple, a ring and a holder.  You throw away/recycle the liner when you're done.  As long as you have an extra nipple around in each size, you practically never find yourself scrambling b/c you didn't wash a bottle.

DD was pretty colic-y also and I found that the nursers hardly ever created bubbles in the milk or formula when she sucked on the bottle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KarBearKarBear member
    We used Avent.  Those and Born Free are pretty similar, though Born Free also come in glass.  Dr. Browns have too many parts for this lazy mama.  I've heard good things about Playtex and Tommy Tippee ones, too.  I'd just pick 2 of these brands, buy 1 or 2 bottles and see which you and your LO like better.
  • Do NOT get a multi-pack of the same bottle.  Buy one bottle from a few different brands until you know which one the baby likes.  Babies can be very picky.

We used Drop-ins, Dr.Browns and Avent.

• Tommee Tippee are excellent ones -- they actually are good for people who also want to breast feed because they resemble the breast most closely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

Do NOT get a multi-pack of the same bottle.  Buy one bottle from a few different brands until you know which one the baby likes.  Babies can be very picky.

We used Drop-ins, Dr.Browns and Avent.

This is also very wise. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved the Playtex drop-ins with my ds.  They cut down on gas in the stomach, and you don't have to constantly clean bottles.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageUK-Margie:
    Tommee Tippee are excellent ones -- they actually are good for people who also want to breast feed because they resemble the breast most closely.

this

• Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I asked before I go and stock up this weekend! I'll go buy 2 little ones to start and see which she prefers :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"