Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Opinions Please (kinda long)

I need some opinions please. For the last 3 weeks DD has been spitting up so much, crying during bottles and going through like 10 bibs a day. I took her to pedi last week and saw on call doc and he says she has reflux and has since birth! I was rather confused but I listened to him and he put her on pepcid. So all week it kept happening so I called pedi and on call said to keep trying meds. Over the weekend I didn't give her pepcid because my sister said she might be allergic. Then my sisters suggested she may be allergic to her formula and to try soy. I did and first bottle there was spit up but next 5 none at all. That was yesterday and this morning until we showered and she swallowed a little water and spit up and then next bottle none. However then we went to bank and she cried bloody murder and made her self throw up in car. She then spit up a few more times......So my question is which do you think is working? So is she just spitting up today because she is so upset? Do you think the pepcid is helping or the soy formula?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Opinions Please (kinda long)

• I would continue to communicate with the doctor, and also tell him/her about your tries with soy before you self-diagnose. 
  • teshy1teshy1
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Love Its
    It may be difficult to know what's helping and what's not if you've changed formula and put LO on reflux meds at the same time.  Often, it takes reflux meds 2 weeks to take full effect, so you wouldn't necessarily have seen a difference in your LO's reflux symptoms after a few days.  I would talk to your pedi again before trying to change anything else.
  • Does your sister have any medical experience? I agree with pp that you should continue to speak with a medical professional.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image nbeseau:
    I would continue to communicate with the doctor, and also tell him/her about your tries with soy before you self-diagnose. 

This. 

Also, the pepcid won't make her spit up less, it'll just make it so that it doesn't hurt her.

My son is allergic to milk protein and some babies who are are also allergic to soy. [We BF so that means I just can't have dairy. He's fine with soy.] ANYWAY, there are some formulas for this allergy- Similac's Alimentum and Enfamil's Nutramigen.

I'd rec the similac. DS was on that for a little while. It makes their poop smell bad and the formula itself smells bad but the enfamil is much worse.

eta: O is also a reflux baby. He's on zantac. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Dairy issues run in my family

• This is the problem with trying too many interventions at the same time. It's impossible to tell which ones work and which ones don't. I would discuss the soy experiment with your doctor.

ETA- Reflux meds can take a couple of weeks to build up in baby's system. If you only give her the meds for a few days and then take them away, you really have no idea if they're working. Follow your pedi's advice, and follow the directions on the medications. 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Family always think they have the answers, trust me I hear it from my mom all the time.  I would be listening to your pedi over your family.  Just yes your family to death.  I really can't answer these questions because I don't know what is right.
  • I am sorry none of you agree with me but even my doctor said the reflux meds should be working already and he is surprised they aren't. I am willing to do whatever it take so my daughter isn't in pain and if that means trying something without the "permission" of my doctor so be it. I am her mom and I make the decisions for her. And obviously something I am doing is working and she is still alive so I guess I am doing just fine.

• image FhSTAR81:
    I am sorry none of you agree with me but even my doctor said the reflux meds should be working already and he is surprised they aren't. I am willing to do whatever it take so my daughter isn't in pain and if that means trying something without the "permission" of my doctor so be it. I am her mom and I make the decisions for her. And obviously something I am doing is working and she is still alive so I guess I am doing just fine.

I'm not quite sure why you asked for opinions then if you weren't ready to take them and you are "doing just fine". No need to jump on the defensive bus. I just think it's a wise choice to deal with your doctor rather than some bumpies that lack the years of training that pedis have.

• You rent responding to my question at all. People are saying I'm wrong for not doing what doctor said. I wasn't asking for your opinion on what I did rather which was working

• image FhSTAR81:
    I am sorry none of you agree with me but even my doctor said the reflux meds should be working already and he is surprised they aren't. I am willing to do whatever it take so my daughter isn't in pain and if that means trying something without the "permission" of my doctor so be it. I am her mom and I make the decisions for her. And obviously something I am doing is working and she is still alive so I guess I am doing just fine.

Well, duh. But don't you want to make the best, most educated decison? I personally would not make drastic changes to my child's prescribed diet/medications without checking with my pedi. Your OP says that you listened to your sister's advice (is she a medical professional?) about switching formulas and stopped the Rx simultaneously. like PP's said, this can lead to confusion about what is helping and what is hurting.

You asked for opinions. You got them. Don't get your panties in a wad because PP's didn't just regurgitate what you wanted to hear.

On the night you were born,
    the moon shone with such wonder
    that the stars peeked in
    to see you
    and the night wind whispered,
    'Life will never be the same.'

• Changing meds and formulas alot isn't going to help her little system either.  I don't have a enough of a medical background to tell you what is working.  It's tough DS has reflux, he's not in pain but it is very frustrating to a mother to see your baby unable to keep food down.  I wish I had an answer for you.
  • image FhSTAR81:
    You rent responding to my question at all. People are saying I'm wrong for not doing what doctor said. I wasn't asking for your opinion on what I did rather which was working

I'm not quite sure what you meant there, but go back and re-read. Not one person said you were wrong. Everyone suggested that you work with pedi. When something doesn't work most of us would probably talk to the doc and see what the next step is. What did pedi say when you told him it wasn't working yet?

You can't get upset when you ask for an opinion and get one. 

• I also don't quite understand why you posted if you do not want to hear advice.  Personally, if I was dealing with my LO, I would seek professional medical advice instead of trying several things on my own even though she's "still alive."  That's some pretty poor logic.  If the doctor is surprised about the reflux meds not working, then you need to have a conversation with them of what the next step is. 

You always have the option of seeking another pedi's advice.

• When my LO was a few weeks old I had mastitis and had to supplement.  The regular formula made her spit up a lot more than I had ever seen before.  We switched to the Similac sensitive which is Lactose free and it never happened again.  I guess my point is formula can definitely make a difference.  I'd suggest talking to the pedi about what you've observed and go from there. Also we all take advice from family at times and sometimes its dead on, you just have to do what you think is best :)
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image FhSTAR81:
    You rent responding to my question at all. People are saying I'm wrong for not doing what doctor said. I wasn't asking for your opinion on what I did rather which was working

You might want to backup a little bit. People told you exactly why it would be hard to tell which is working. You got some great, solid advice. If you do not know what is working then how is a complete stranger suppose to know? Go see her pedi and talk to him about it all and not internet strangers or family members without a medical degree.