3rd Trimester

Rude guy at the gym (vent)

I checked in at the gym tonight and as I approached the desk and presented my membership card, the receptionist dude said, "Oh, you're going to work out?" (and not in a "you go, girl" tone of voice, more like a "are you sure that's okay?" manner).  Throughout my entire workout I kept thinking how I haven't seen any other (showing) pregnant women at my gym.  Granted I only go 1-2 times per week...

Are you all still working out and if so have you gotten any comments/looks from other guests?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rude guy at the gym (vent)

• I'm still going and I occasionally get looks, but no one has said anything up front to me.  Whatever.  I'm still ok to exercise and I'm going to.  I feel so much better after and the first time around I had such a hard time losing the weight.  Now that I have a rythmn, I am not breaking it! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow that was uncalled for.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow. What a jerk!  I've been working out 2 days a week pretty consistently throughout my pregnancy.  I have a trainer and do 30 minutes of weight training. I've actually gotten a lot of the you go girl comments.  I'm shocked that someone would make such a comment.   Plenty of women work out right up til the end.  I didn't last time but i feel a million times better this time around.  Keep it up!

• Yeah I've found people to be real jerks at the gym. I had one member literally stop me in the parking lot and ask me what I was doing at the gym! Then of course there are the looks from everyone like your water is about to break on the treadmill. People can be ignorant and it's really sad that they don't understand how working out is actually better for mom and baby.
  • Ahhhh....ignorance!  Probably just some young juice head that has no clue.  F 'em!
  • I worked out until my 34 th week when my doc told me to stop because baby was gonna be coming early. And the gym I go to is awesome, every class I took, there was so much encouragement and positive feedback.

I am hoping the rest was able to slow down the labor process. getting antsy and could use some fun dance class even if I don't really move as much anymore ( at the end of week 35 now)

• Yep still goin strong. And no rudeness, but the ppl are used to seeing me. I'm usually in there 5-6 times a week. If anyone has said anything about me working out its been encouragement. Such as: that will help with your labor, or I know that's getting harder, but you sure are sticking it out. :) 
  • Early in my pregnancy, I was often annoyed by people putting their two-cents in about what I should and should not be doing.  I have two little boys in addition to being pregnant and I have no choice but to keep active.  There are some things that I can't do any more (like see my feet), but I have been able to keep working out almost every day and it helps me feel better and keep up with my very active boys.  Most of the time these days, I get positive feed back from other people and my doc says that I am doing great!  I have less than two weeks to go before baby #3 will be here (repeat c-section) and I am hoping that having worked out throughout my pregnancy will help with recovery.  Good for you ladies who can stick it out, I know it's not easy!
  • Wow!  What a d-bag!  You go girl!!!!  LOL!  That's great that you're still going!  I think labor will be easier for you girls who are going because all of your muscles are so toned, so kudos to you!

Anniversary

• Purely a lurker here, but I just HAD to comment because I too fall victim to those who think pregnant women should sit on the couch all day. 
    At the gym I'll occasionally get looks but no rude comments. Honestly the most annoying people are those at work who are literally appalled that I still run (on a good day), go on the elliptical, lift weights... Um fyi people, not only is exercise safe, its actually good for me and my son! =)
  • I work out about 5 days a week but most of the time, just at my house. I do try to go into the gym about 2 days a week and I haven't had any rude comments or looks (that I've observed anyway).  I hope to be able to continue my routine for at least another 10 weeks (or longer).  Keep us the good work and ignore stupid a&* people like that guy!!!

• imageElatedMom2B:
    Ahhhh....ignorance!  Probably just some young juice head that has no clue.  F 'em!

my sentiments exactly.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • I stopped going at 32 weeks, but I just was too exhausted by the time I got home from work.  Plus there is a ton to do around the house to keep up and get ready for baby.  At my old gym I used to take spinning classes and one woman went to spinning classes until she delivered (literally, was there Monday, delivered baby on Tuesday). 

If you feel like you can do it, go for it.

• denalldenall member
    Haven't been working out, but walk nearly everyday. I get people trying to stop me from doing THAT. I am like, um... its GOOD to walk. And heaven forbid I try to lift anything, Dr. said 30lbs, I am sticking to it -- so DON'T stop me from lifting a 10lb chair. I am carrying a baby, I am NOT a baby.
  • I still am going almost every day but I workout at the gym at work and most of the responses I get are positive--like "wow, you're still at it?!".  MH and I went away to the shore this weekend and I got mostly(from men) "wow, are you going to have that baby on the beach?".   I think if I heard that pretty often, I'd get tired of it.  I can still laugh it off now since I really don't hear it that much.   I hope you keep working out despite the comments!
  • I work out 5-6 times per week.  In addition to the elptical and weight training, I take 3 spin classes per week.  Everyone is so used to seeing me that I don't get any negative comments.  One of the spin teachers has 4 children and in the most amazing shape.  She said she did spin pregnant with her kids and is always telling me how great I'm doing.  It makes me feel terrific.  When I was pregnant with DD I did get some comments at my previous gym.  One of the most memorable: I was on the elptical and this older man came up to me and told me that I make him very nervous in spin class, etc.  He then asked me when I was due.  I told him I still had 5 weeks to go.  He told me that I didn't look like I had 5 minutes.  On my due date (which was also my last workout until my DD was born), I took a spin class and a cardio kickboxing class.  The women could not believe that I was there.  After the class they all said that I dropped and I hoped they were right.  I didn't deliver for another week.  The women were much more positive!
  • Brady77Brady77 member
    The female receptionist asked me about two weeks ago how long I planned on keeping up with working out.  It was similar to the tone of the comment made to you.  I said up until they tell me no more.  I was getting off the stair mill that same week and caught a middle aged woman shaking her head at me.  To each his/her own, most of the other early morning folks know me from b/f I was pregnant and they don't seem to care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"