Baby Showers

Second child and diaper shower wording etiquette

A fellow mom group friend is expecting her second baby. She's said she doesn't want another shower as she's having the same sex baby and doesn't need anything. I'm throwing her a surprise diaper shower/play date and was curious about how to word the invites. I'm inviting moms from our play group.

1) Is it tacky to call the shower a diaper shower? or should I call it a shower and elaborate in the description that it is a diaper shower?

2) A website said to ask guests to bring a package or two of diapers and wipes. I sort of feel it's tacky to tell people what to bring. Wouldn't they be able to infer that since it is a diaper shower that they bring dipers? I wouldn't care if they just brought themselves to hang out either. 

Here is the wording so far:

Let's celebrate "A's" new bundle of joy and help her get ready for more diaper duty. 

Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Anniversary
*photo removed*

Re: Second child and diaper shower wording etiquette

• quezzoquezzo member

I think if she doesn't want this and you're doing it anyways she might be a little put off, just an FYI. 

If you're going to do it then I do think you need to call it a Diaper Shower to keep her from feeling like your just doing a regular shower and to keep guests from feeling like they have to bring something elaborate. Since this baby is the same sex then she probably already has a ton of stuff anyways. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagequezzo:

I think if she doesn't want this and you're doing it anyways she might be a little put off, just an FYI. 

If you're going to do it then I do think you need to call it a Diaper Shower to keep her from feeling like your just doing a regular shower and to keep guests from feeling like they have to bring something elaborate. Since this baby is the same sex then she probably already has a ton of stuff anyways. 

Right, which is why I'm throwing a diaper shower...

Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • Loading the player...
  • I think what you have is cute...just add "Let's stock the nursery with diapers and wipes for the baby on the way!"

Make sure to add it's a surprise for her!  I don't think she'll be annoyed...it sounds like a group of friends get together at a normal playdate and not a planned shower. 

I'm usually a fan of neither diaper parties nor second showers, but for some reason I like the idea since you ladies already all have kids in playgroup together.

• imagepook:

I think what you have is cute...just add "Let's stock the nursery with diapers and wipes for the baby on the way!"

Make sure to add it's a surprise for her!  I don't think she'll be annoyed...it sounds like a group of friends get together at a normal playdate and not a planned shower. 

I'm usually a fan of neither diaper parties nor second showers, but for some reason I like the idea since you ladies already all have kids in playgroup together.

I agree with all of this.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • Agreed with PPs.  Personally, I like the idea of a diaper shower or even a diaper raffle at a "regular" shower, but you might run into a few ladies on here who strongly disagree- as an FYI :)

I also think it's fine to word the invite as a diaper shower- or even a "sprinkle" as opposed to a shower- as long as it doesn't come off in a way that would make guests feel insulted at the demand for diapers.  Cute always helps :)

"She's got toys, clothes, and plenty of 'stuff'-

but diapers and wipes she can never have enough! 

Let's celebrate "A's" new bunde of joy and help her get ready for more diaper duty.  Bring your favorite pack of diapers or wipes to our next playdate and we'll honor A and her new arrival over cupcakes and tea."

• imageweddingbells2010:

Agreed with PPs.  Personally, I like the idea of a diaper shower or even a diaper raffle at a "regular" shower, but you might run into a few ladies on here who strongly disagree- as an FYI :)

I also think it's fine to word the invite as a diaper shower- or even a "sprinkle" as opposed to a shower- as long as it doesn't come off in a way that would make guests feel insulted at the demand for diapers.  Cute always helps :)

"She's got toys, clothes, and plenty of 'stuff'-

but diapers and wipes she can never have enough! 

Let's celebrate "A's" new bunde of joy and help her get ready for more diaper duty.  Bring your favorite pack of diapers or wipes to our next playdate and we'll honor A and her new arrival over cupcakes and tea."

I like that but I might add something like "if you'd like to help A blah blah blah" Then people won't feel obligated to buy something if they don't want to.

I like the idea.  I think it's very thoughtful and polite and not tacky ;) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"