3rd Trimester

Your vagina is not doomed!

Because it's late and I always loved unsolicited 0-3 mom's when I was in 3rd tri (sarcasm.) but seriously, I have to share.

I had myself scared to death of delivery, seriously. I had a c/s with DD1 so I had no idea what to expect. I didn't discover the bump until I got pregnant with DD2 and hearing everyone talk about the god awful things that were going to happen to my vagina scared the sh!t out of me. I almost scheduled a repeat c/s because of it.

But, I had a VBAC. And I have good news, it's not necessarily going to be that bad! Obviously, everyone is different, but, I pushed for 32 minutes. I had no tears or cuts, so therefore no stitches. I was up out of bed, walking around 20 minutes after I gave birth (and I had an epi. But never lost feeling in my legs.) I was sitting on my bed an hour later saying how it was so not as bad as I thought. I was sore, sure, but my arms hurt worse from pulling while I was pushing then my vagina. My crazy heavy bleeding was much less by the time I left the hospital, and stopped completely at 3 weeks PP. I had sex (against the rules) at 3 weeks PP and it didn't hurt. Now at 5 weeks PP, I've been having sex every day and it's absolutely amazing. OH, and I've never had a hemorrhoid in my life and was seriously afraid I would get one from pushing, but I didn't have that issue either. 

You might be totally opposite from me but I wish I had read a story like this when I was still pregnant. It's nice to know it's not always the end of the world. haha.

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
Baby #4; 7/7/2018

Re: Your vagina is not doomed!

• thank you for that.
  • My FI likes to make jokes about what the damage will be down there. I've heard many OBs say that it goes back to the way it was before. I know FI is just teasing, but it still bothers me a bit. I'm hoping to heal quickly and not have to wait six weeks for sex :P

I'm curious how long it takes for the tummy skin to snap back, too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • thanks. We can wish for the same such luck right? lol
  • i agree!  its amazing how it does go back.  i didn't have sex at 3 weeks pp, but did at 5 weeks.  i wasn't too comfortable for a few weeks but then like pp said, it was really good for a few months, then breastfeeding hormones kicked in.  who knows how it will go this time....
  • imagethatgirl84:

My FI likes to make jokes about what the damage will be down there. I've heard many OBs say that it goes back to the way it was before. I know FI is just teasing, but it still bothers me a bit. I'm hoping to heal quickly and not have to wait six weeks for sex :P

My tummy skin took about a month to firm up.  At first it's like jello.  I had no tears (well, 1 tiny internal stitch that she almost didn't do), no stretch marks, and very little pain involved in general with labor (especially after a wonderful epidural!).  My experience was totally awesome and I hope you all get as great of an experience.  Oh, and my vag is just fine ;)

• I was not as lucky as you are all but I'm not going to share.  However, despite my complications everything does go back to normal.  One of the drs in the practice (who is also a friend of mine) told me while I was going through it all that you could put a vagina in a meat grinder and it would go back to normal.  He is obviously a man.  :)  Even at the time, the statement cracked up but still couldn't believe he said it to me.  One of the other female drs in the practice asked him how is balls would fair.  I don't think I'll ever forget that conversation! 
  • YAYYY!!!

Thanks for sharing. There IS hope! hahaha

Bria - Born 7/20/2011 - 2 yrs old

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagethatgirl84:

My FI likes to make jokes about what the damage will be down there. I've heard many OBs say that it goes back to the way it was before. I know FI is just teasing, but it still bothers me a bit. I'm hoping to heal quickly and not have to wait six weeks for sex :P

Typical...

• ohfourohfour member
    You do realize that the not having sex until 6 weeks thing isn't because of a sore vagina, right? The reason you are supposed to wait is because you have an open wound in your uterus where the placenta detached, and there is a risk of infection.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageohfour:
    You do realize that the not having sex until 6 weeks thing isn't because of a sore vagina, right? The reason you are supposed to wait is because you have an open wound in your uterus where the placenta detached, and there is a risk of infection.

Exactly!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • UGH the thought of having sex 3 wks PP makes me want to throw up!  Sorry!  Even at 8 wks I was so not interested but still did it and hurt like hell for about 5 months.  Just being honest.  I had a slight tear and 2 stitches but with no sleep and a rough baby, sex was the last thing on my mind!!  I hope you wait the 6 wks b/c like other posters said, it is b/c of infection more than anything else.  Everyone is different too!  It does all go back to normal including stomach and boobs (mine are a lot smaller than before though) which is amazing.  You will be fine though!!! 
  • imageforensicmama:

imageohfour:

Exactly!

Yes. I am aware that it's because of the risk of infection.

For me, sex>risk of infection. So, I guess I just don't care. haha. 

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Thank you for this post.  Its good to hear that. Hopefully we can all have the same success. A third trimester post that is positive!!
  • Thanks so much for this, tearing or needing an episiotomy is one of my biggest fears. Even if I don't do as well as you did, at least I can hope LOL
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • My second was a VBAC as well, and I did end up with about 7 stitches, which was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was a little incontinent for a week or so after delivery, but that was it. I would get a little twinge of pain every so often where my stitches were-not even during sex-more hormonal with my period. My third baby is due in three days, hoping everything stretches easier this time-my abs sure have, so hopefully the critical areas will tooSmile Gotta say, peeing a little when I'd cough or laugh was way better than feeling like my guts were going to spill onto the floor after the c section.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"