High-Risk Pregnancy

Experience with "soft markers" - CPC or EIF?

Unfortunately I got my anatomy scan results and I have "soft marker" indicators for Down Syndrome Sad  but I am only 26 so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing to worry about like my doctor says.

I looked through Wikipedia and it doesn't seem bad, I just don't like that my chances are slightly higher now.

My baby supposedly has a Choraid Plexus Cyst and Echogenic Intracardiac Focus... but it should go away on its own with no effects at all so long as there is no chromosome problem.

Anyone have experience with either of these things?

Staying hopeful!

Re: Experience with "soft markers" - CPC or EIF?

• Chorid Plexis is VERY common and often means nothing and goes away on it's own. Mine LO had one and it was gone within 2 weeks after the anatomy scan. We did all the NT scan and pre screening so we didn't even worry. Several girls on my month board and here had babies with them and all is fine. There was also a girl on my Month who's LO had Echogenic Intracardiac Focus. She had everything checked out after lots of worry and her little guy is just fine.

Do they have you set up for a level 2 scan, cvs or amnio?

Good luck to you and your LO.

• CMM05CMM05 member

None of my babies had both, but DS2 and this current baby both had an EIF present during our anatomy scan. Both times, they disappeared before 30 weeks and both are healthy :)

CPC's and EIF's are so extremely common nowadays with the advancement of technology.

I also have 2 friends whose son's had CPC's.....again, both had 3rd tri ultrasounds and the CPC's were gone. Both of their boys are healthy.

A girl I went to college with recently had her 2nd daughter. During their anatomy scan they also discovered a CPC and an EIF. Her NT Scan results were normal, but they chose to move forward with a Quad Screen, which came back normal and her DD is very healthy :)

Did you do the NT?

I know it is scary, but there are so many success stories with these CPC's and EIF's.

I would ask for another Level II ultrasound in your 3rd tri so that you can see that they are gone :)

GL!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!

Yes, I am going to have another ultrasound around 30 weeks.  I did not do any screenings or have any testing done.  I thought I was low-risk!  But the more I read about the two, the more I see how common it is now.

I was just worried because I had two "indicators." However, I read that although CPC is listed as a "soft marker" for Trisomy 18 and DS on the internet, it is NOT an indicator of DS.  And EIF is a "soft marker" for DS.  So technically I would just have two isolated possibilities instead of a double dose of DS or Trisomy 18.

Everything I have read says not to worry if they are isolated...

I am sure it will be ok!

• honestly, I didn't worry or even put much thought into it. At the same time I found out about my short cervix and that there was a risk of losing her. I was scheduled for emergency cerclage surgery the next day. I was so concerned with that I didn't even focus on the CP and of course a week after that next level 2 u/s showed it to be gone...

• imageamberdrabik:

Thank you!

Yes, I am going to have another ultrasound around 30 weeks.  I did not do any screenings or have any testing done.  I thought I was low-risk!  But the more I read about the two, the more I see how common it is now.

I was just worried because I had two "indicators." However, I read that although CPC is listed as a "soft marker" for Trisomy 18 and DS on the internet, it is NOT an indicator of DS.  And EIF is a "soft marker" for DS.  So technically I would just have two isolated possibilities instead of a double dose of DS or Trisomy 18.

Everything I have read says not to worry if they are isolated...

I am sure it will be ok!

We were told that our baby had 5 soft markers for DC, tri 18, and tri 13. The doc scared the crap out of because it is really rare to see 5 soft markers. After two weeks of hell, we got the amnio results back and everything is great. The baby is completely healthy. Keep the faith.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD had two soft markers, a CPC and a single umbilical artery. Like yours, one is a marker for DS and one is marker for Trisomy 18 (and a SUA can cause actual physical problems like IUGR). None of our dr's were as worried as I was about it. They barely mentioned it after the initial u/s that found it. One dr. said that if he didn't ahve to tell us about them, he'd prefer not to b/c they cause so much unnecessary worry for the parents.

DD was born perfectly healthy. We didn't do the amnio, mainly b/c it could have harmed DS in the process, and it wasn't worth the risk.  

• imagekafunder:

DD had two soft markers, a CPC and a single umbilical artery. Like yours, one is a marker for DS and one is marker for Trisomy 18 (and a SUA can cause actual physical problems like IUGR). None of our dr's were as worried as I was about it. They barely mentioned it after the initial u/s that found it. One dr. said that if he didn't ahve to tell us about them, he'd prefer not to b/c they cause so much unnecessary worry for the parents.

DD was born perfectly healthy. We didn't do the amnio, mainly b/c it could have harmed DS in the process, and it wasn't worth the risk.  

as crazy as it sounds I wish they would have not told us about the CP. I didn't worry about it too much but it still added to my list of concerns at the time..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"