3rd Trimester
Options

Going in for hemorrhoid removal surgery at 38w 3d

Short story is that I have really severe painful hemorrhoids that OB sent me to hospital for on Tues. He calmed for a surgical consult to have them removed. The surgeons have been fighting him on it because I'm pregnant. They want me to suffer through these other treatments and wait until after baby is born, but my OB says that this is safe and I shouldn't be suffering with it. So surgery is scheduled for 8am tomorrow and OB made sure that the surgeon I'm getting is the best. He says they surgeons are all just being "turkeys" because I'm pregnant. I trust my OB and I'm ready to do this because I'm in so much pain I can't sit, move, use the bathroom or lay the wrong way without crying out. On top of that, all of the pain meds make me vomit so I haven't kept food down in days. I can't do a whole other week of this before c-section. I am scared. There's always risk. I'm sad that I'm not going to be able to attempt a VBAC - with or without surgery it's out of the question with these hemorrhoids. I'm worried about infection and recovery and possible meds making it harder to breastfeed. Have any of you had a hemorrhoidectomy while pregnant? Not pregnant?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Going in for hemorrhoid removal surgery at 38w 3d

• Options

I had surgery when DD1 was 1 and a half. I had internal & external ones removed. It was really fast -- about 45 mins I think -- and the recovery wasn't bad. I also get pukey from any kind of pain meds so I only took them the first day.

I had to take it easy for a few days (I took a week off work but I didn't need the entire week, I was able to sit comfortably by day 3) and I spent a lot of time soaking in the tub -- it was really soothing.

I can't imagine the recovery being any worse than what you are dealing with now.

GL!

• Options
    I am so sorry you have to go through this! It is not an easy recovery. My DH had to do it once and I swear the recovery was worse than the actual hemorrhoid. On the plus side, it got rid of the hemorrhoid, and that is worth it. The recovery is brutal, but quicker than pregnancy recovery (at least his experience compared to mine). Good luck! Live on sitz baths and peri bottles!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much - that is really encouraging. I'm really hoping for a fast recovery that won't overlap too much with the csection.
  • Options
    I've never heard of this but wanted to send out T&P's to you. 
  • Options
    angiek1angiek1 member
    My dad and a co worker of mine had a hemorrhoidectomy and while neither have been pregnant both said it is really really painful. From my what I've seen/heard I would advise against it. While they say the surgery was worth it, I couldn't imagine having a baby that soon after having the surgery. Both my dad and coworker were out for a week after the surgery.
  • Options
    Ow, sounds horrible! The things our bodies have to go through for motherhood. Luckily I didn't get any until after I started pushing. I can't imagine having them beforehand.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. When are you scheduled for your c-section? I hope you have an easy, speedy recovery!
  • Options
    I got some terrible ones from pushing my DD out. One was so big, they were thinking of lancing it. It got better on its own (although it feels like a little deflated balloon... when I wash in the shower of course). I feel discomfort now and then after BMs. I remember the pain of them after childbirth - I thought I had an infection from the episiotomy. I really feel for you, hun. I think the pain of having them removed will be worth it. Mine felt massively better after a week - still painful, but way better - same with the episiotomy. I'm sure you'll be hurting for a week, but after that you'll feel way better. They'll give you pain meds you can breastfeed with. Watch out for constipating pain meds, though!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

When i first started reading this I thought you were attempting to deliver vaginally after having this done- but since you'll have a C-Section I see no reason why you shouldn't have the surgery done now...

IMHO all the stories about men suffering are not a good enough reason not to do it - my husband has a cold and acts as if he's on his deathbed - and he most certainly wants nothing to do with any kind of surgery if he has a choice....so go for it :) Good Luck and Speedy recovery!

• Options

imageChristieAnne:
    Thank you so much - that is really encouraging. I'm really hoping for a fast recovery that won't overlap too much with the csection.

lmao. I can feel the sarcasm radiating from my computer screen.

I'm sorry you're in a bad way and I hope you get some relief asap!

• Options
    i didn't have hemmroids but did have kidney stone surgery at 34w 3d.  no one wanted to touch me either before that.  my ob's husband is a urologist and he removed my kidney stone for me.  they gave me a spinal block and everything with baby and i was fine.  i had one point where my bp went realllly low and i got really nauseous and baby's heart rate dropped a lot too but we both came back really fast and everything was fine.  gl and i'm sure you will feel so much better once they are removed.  i think that the pain pills are better now than later because i'm pretty sure you can't breastfeed if you are on strong pain meds.  not sure...
  • Options
    Good Luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"