Breastfeeding

BM to mix with solids

We hit six months this weekend, and started cereal on Saturday.  Question -- just how important do you think it is to mix cereal or other solids with BM as opposed to water?

My breastmilk is like gold.  Right now, he takes a few spoonfuls of solids and is over it -- I hate wasting even a few tablespoons if I don't need to.

I'm also wondering, what do you think about maybe 1 tablespoon BM/2 water or some mix like that?  

I suppose it is all hit or miss, but I'm curious to know what worked for other people.  If it helps, I'm not convinced we will be on cereal all that long anyway -- I just want to stick it our until his next pedi appointment so we can discuss other sources of iron.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12

Re: BM to mix with solids

• I know what you mean!  We just started cereal with Lena and I hate to waste even an ounce.  It's a pain, but I'm so diligent about replacing what I take CONSTANTLY that I started pumping an hour after she goes to bed.  I get another 4 ounces and I use that for cereal the next day.  I also have been doing this because she's been really fussy at the breast at bedtime and doesn't want to wait for the let down.  So I switch back and forth between nursing and bottling her for an hour until she calms down enough to nurse.  She goes through about 3 ounces with the bottle, then nurses for about 40 minutes (I think she gets about 6 ounces total, talk about tanking up!).  So I pump after she goes to bed to recover that 3 ounces she takes from the bottle.  I also use what I get for cereal then.
  • I use water with my son's cereal, because I'm the same way as you; it's really difficult for me to pump. He's still getting the same amount of ounces as he was before, and he only gets cereal during the week while he's at the home care provider. It's been 2 weeks, and all seems well. I read this site, and further down it was saying that it's better to try it plain with water, first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • I've heard that mixing bm with rice cereal makes it runny due to something in the breastmilk interacting with the cereal. Like it won't thicken or something. True?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image larrysdarling:
    I've heard that mixing bm with rice cereal makes it runny due to something in the breastmilk interacting with the cereal. Like it won't thicken or something. True?

Well, Saturday I used 4 tbsps.  Today I used 3 tbsps.  It was less runny today.  So it thickens to a certain extent, although the overall consistency is still runny.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • I produce just enough during the day for her bottles.  There is nothing extra for cereal so I mix it with water.  She doesn't mind it at all.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  It isn't like she's consuming a lot of it. 
    E: 03/24/09
    A: 10/28/10

(via Pug Pug Pug Pug Pug / You don’t say…)