Baby Names
Options

Madelyn or Madeline

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

This site has Madelyn one spot ahead of Madeline...which do you prefer?  Would you pronounce Madeline as mad-a-lin?  Thanks for your thoughts!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Madelyn or Madeline

• Options
    Of these two, Madeline.
    I prefer Madeleine though. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
  • Options
    I agree...would you still pronounce Madeleine as Mad-a-lin? I see it as Mad-a-LINE
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Madelyn! I love it spelled this way! I think it's unique but still not strange :)
  • Options
    Madeline please

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options
    Definitely Madeline over Madelyn.  I pronounce it -line though.  For the -lin pronunciation, I prefer Madeleine.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Allie30Allie30 member

A friend of mine named her daughter Madelyn, and when I asked her why she said to make absolutely sure no one pronounced it Mad-uh-LINE. When she saw the SSA list today she pronounced the two names differently.

I personally think Madeleine is the prettiest (and nicer than either), but I do see my friend's point about pronunciation.

• Options
    imagejhjohnson:
    Madelyn! I love it spelled this way! I think it's unique but still not strange :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    cmw&tdmcmw&tdm member
    I prefer Madeleine or Madeline.
  • Options
    GinkeezGinkeez member

My niece's name is Madeline, as in Mada-lynn, and I don't know how it ever got to be that way.  Madelyn and Madeleine are the traditional spellings for the lynn sound.  It was the current trend of putting the random "y" in the middle of the name that turned my SIL away from the traditional spelling, which my brother actually wanted.  It's too bade.  Madeline is a -line name (though they are related), and now the two are being confused. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Missed miscarriage discovered at 16 weeks on 10/11/10. Baby measuring 12 weeks. Natural miscarriage 10/12/10. We will miss you forever. Chemical pregnancy on June 2012.
  • Options
    LMS05LMS05 member
    I'd go with Madelyn just so you avoid the -line pronunciation. 
  • Options

imagemorganaday:
    I agree...would you still pronounce Madeleine as Mad-a-lin? I see it as Mad-a-LINE

I do too... whereas I think Mad-a-lynn for Madelyn. That is how my grandmother spells her name, so that's my favorite. I also like the -lynn pronunciation better than -line. 

• Options
    no y's needed
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageAllie30:

A friend of mine named her daughter Madelyn, and when I asked her why she said to make absolutely sure no one pronounced it Mad-uh-LINE. When she saw the SSA list today she pronounced the two names differently.

This. I think they are pronounced differently depending on how they are spelled - maybe not officially or in French, but that's the difference I see.

IVF #1 - DD born 2011 FET #1-3 all BFN IVF#2- BFP! EDD Nov. 3, 2014 1st US - March 28
  • Options
    I definitely prefer Madeline.
  • Options
    Madeline
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I much prefer Madeline.

Married 7.12.08 | Our first blessing arrived 7.19.12 | #1's BFP Chart  
    Expecting our second little blessing 1.6.15 | #2's BFP Chart

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.