Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What should you bring a new mom in the hospital?

Hi there,

I'm a lurker from another board but have a question I thought you ladies could help me with.

My SIL is in labor right now with her first. Two weeks early! They were expecting to go on time or late.  Anyway, once he's born and they're a bit settled we're going to go visit at the hospital.  I froze some casseroles for them this weekend but I'll bring those by when they're home.  So what should we bring them at the hospital?

I was thinking some takeout in case they're hungry. Flowers and balloons are fun but not really useful - we're on a budget so I'd rather get them something thats useful or satisfies a need or want.  Maybe some toiletries?  I don't know.  

So new moms, what do you wish someone had brought you after your delivery?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What should you bring a new mom in the hospital?

• Definitely take out. :)  Hospital food is not the greatest!
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • All I wanted after delivery was a large mocha latte!!! Lol Definitely food was the best! The hospital food wasn't that great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Snacks, magazines.
  • refreshing snacks like grapes or lunchmeat/cheese/crackers.  I was ravenous, but had missed mealtime, and  the hospital food was atrocious.  I hardly ate any of it.
  • water ice, seriously. i had a c-section and i was on a clear liquid diet after. rita's water ice was like heaven.

our hospital offered DH and i three meals a day. we could order whatever we wanted and had no need for takeout. 

if you and SIL are close you might consider a nursing tank, really good pads (always infinity), or other things she might not have realized to bring if it's her first child. you could add hand cream and lip balm to make a nice package.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAutumnBride929:
    Definitely take out. :)  Hospital food is not the greatest!

This 100%!

• Food for sure!
  • imageAutumnBride929:
    Definitely take out. :)  Hospital food is not the greatest!

This! And a big coffee, I was so tired but too excited to sleep.  

• take out! we pretty much had everything we needed until we got home. I had my kindle which barely used since was breastfeeding constantly. all I wanted was my favorite things to eat! would have loved a starbucks. I ended up getting thai takeout and roast beef my favorites. they have a fridge in most rooms so fruit would have been nice too.
  • elisbuelisbu member

I wanted coffee SO bad, like good coffee, starbucks or something, but no one would bring it to me Sad

I am on my way to Bath and Body works, as soon as DH gets home, to buy antibacterial gel (on sale right now- 4 for $15 or 6 for $20) because we had it in postpartum and in the NICU, it's so much easier than washing my hands 100 times a day. So maybe that in some nice scents to have next to the changing table or for when visitors come over?

• Takeout of some sort. I wanted a smoothie and was glad someone was able to bring one to me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I should add- we received flowers but then had to worry about transporting them home. I loved them but was loaded down with stuff and a newborn...not to mention, DH had to drive our LO for the first time.  Big Smile A plant would be better (no water spillage) or flowers brought ot our house.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I should add- we received flowers but then had to worry about transporting them home. I loved them but was loaded down with stuff and a newborn...not to mention, DH had to drive our LO for the first time.  Big Smile A plant would be better (no water spillage) or flowers brought ot our house.
  • I had friends ask me when I was still pregnant what I was looking forward to the most.  I told them I missed sitting out on my patio and drinking a blue moon out of a frosty cold glass with an orange slice.  They came to the hospital with a bucket of blue moon and oranges!  My daughter was born in the biggest storm of the year, but it was the best tasting beer, ever.

However, I also received a robe which was an awesome hospital gift.  I found cheap ones at wal-mart.  Also, bring your friend some flip flops (for walking around in the hospital room, and to wear home).

Stephanie Hsu
  • I wanted real coffee. And Sushi. My husband went and got me real coffee in the hospital, but I still haven't had my sushi yet (and I am 6 weeks pp)!
  • Take-out from her favorite restaurant and a fancy coffee from Starbucks.  My friend brought in a couple magazines like US Weekly and People but I was so focused on the baby,  visiting guests and then being dead tired I never read them.
  • My parents brought Chinese food the day after DS was born and it was AMAZING. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • lmg423lmg423 member

I can't think of anythign different than what has already been suggested. 

I liked having the flowers in the room because I had a c-section and was there for 5 days. The flowers were a nice touch. But yeah, getting them home can be a pain. We had family take a lot of the stuff home before we left.

Food would be good but honestly, maybe because of the c-section, I really only wanted light healthy foods. I love going out to eat and getting that kind of food but I couldn't stomach it in the hospital.

Maybe one of those fruit bouquets would be nice. I really could havegone for one of those.  

• Someone suggested a robe and I would have loved one in the hospital. I will bring one next time for sure. My parents brought me candy and I loved it. 
  • We received an Edible Arrangement when I was in the hospital and it was so wonderful to have to snack on.  The one that my aunt sent me had a pink elephant piggy bank as the base which was really cute, too!  I think they are pretty pricey though, but if it is in your budget, I really think they are the best hospital gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"