March 2011 Moms

DS sounds like he has phlegm in his throat

My DS frequently makes this wheezy sound, like he has phlegm in his throat.  The pedi said that his lungs are clear, but it just freaks me out... I worry that he's going to drown in his mucus or something.  It happens most often when he's taking a bottle and sometimes when he's sleeping.  It sounds like snoring.

Does anyone else's LO do this?  The doctor hasn't actually heard him make this noise, but I've mentioned this sound at each appointment and she didn't seem concerned.

Re: DS sounds like he has phlegm in his throat

• eturpeturp member
    I've noticed DS doing this mostly when he is sleeping right after he has eaten. He always starts to breathe more clearly after a couple minutes but it definitely makes me more nervous when I hear him wheezing like that.
  • ladies, ask your dr.s about laryngo malasia (sp).  my kids have had this as infants.  dr.s won't hear it in their chests, it's in their throats.  it is from having an immature cartilage in their throats.  so when they have been crying a lot or just eaten, it sounds really bad.  if your LO has bad reflux, it's worse. 

my first LO had a scope put in her throat by an ENT and he found this.  so since the rest of my kids sounded the same, we knew what it was.  there really isn't anything you can do about it, they grow out of it usually by 1 or 2.

good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD does this a lot, mostly after eating. I think its just milk stuck in her throat that she doesn't swallow all the way.
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • I hear this in my lo, too, esp after eating.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepregaftertubal:

ladies, ask your dr.s about laryngo malasia (sp).  my kids have had this as infants.  dr.s won't hear it in their chests, it's in their throats.  it is from having an immature cartilage in their throats.  so when they have been crying a lot or just eaten, it sounds really bad.  if your LO has bad reflux, it's worse. 

my first LO had a scope put in her throat by an ENT and he found this.  so since the rest of my kids sounded the same, we knew what it was.  there really isn't anything you can do about it, they grow out of it usually by 1 or 2.

good luck!

Thanks for this info.  I looked it up online and it sounds like this is what the issue could be.  I'll bring it up at  my DS's next appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"