Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Moms of babies with colic, please come in...

If your baby is colicky can you please describe their behavior and also what their age is and if it got better/worse as time went on.  Also, what have you used to treat it? I'm going to get DD tested at her next appointment but for the past couple of weeks she has been really cranky pretty much all night. We've changed her, tried to feed her, swaddled her and nothing. As of late we have found some minor improvement by playing white noise :/
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms of babies with colic, please come in...

• It could be that she is intolerant to cow's milk, OR, it could also mean that she has acid reflux. Mine wound up having acid reflux...it became worse when I had to feed her my milk from the bottle exclusively for the time being. She would stiffen and stretch out her entire body during feeding and get especially cranky lying on her back. She would spit up a lot too, even if we would get several good burps from her, and some of the spit up smelled really bad. It makes sense since acid reflux is really heartburn and even as adults we find that uncomfortable. If you think your baby has acid reflux, keep her in an upright position for about a half hour after feeding (i.e. change her diaper before feeding so she isn't on her back after a feeding, and if you can't sit with her in your arms for a half hour, put her in her car seat or a swing, etc. so she is sitting up as much as possible), because lying on their backs right after a feeding acts as an antacid and try to burp her more than you already are. If it's not acid reflux, you might want to look into the intolerance to cow's milk (which is not the same as lactose intolerance as that is very rare).
  • Seriously! You have to read the book " The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp md. I'm normally skeptical when it comes to things like this but this book was recommended to me, I read it and it actually WORKED! It really has helped me with me son. It gave me a new perspective on things as well. While you typically have to wade through the colicky phase, it does help with the soothing part and I felt less helpless. Lots of swaddling, dancing, shushing, nursing/binky. I also play white noise all night long and that also seems to help. Hang in there! It does get better!
    Welcome to our world little one!

• image ronitoswife:
    Seriously! You have to read the book " The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp md. I'm normally skeptical when it comes to things like this but this book was recommended to me, I read it and it actually WORKED! It really has helped me with me son. It gave me a new perspective on things as well. While you typically have to wade through the colicky phase, it does help with the soothing part and I felt less helpless. Lots of swaddling, dancing, shushing, nursing/binky. I also play white noise all night long and that also seems to help. Hang in there! It does get better!

this.  I too am often a cynic when it comes to these things, but it really works.  we also found that holding and bouncing up and down on the exercise ball works like magic.  But you have to keep bouncing.

• As for describing his behavior,,,

I have a viseo clip I can send if you'd like to PM me.  Basically, it consists of screaming for no clear reason for hours, can't be settled down, gets very stiff, tummy gets very hard, brings knees sharply in to chest and shoots them back out again, turns scarlet red when screaming (its screaming not crying), hates being on his back.  Our LO also has a cough which led us down the path to reflux.  We're now on zantac, and we're using gripe water too.  The screaming fits have lessened dramatically.  Like PP said - try to keep your LO upright as much as possible.  I even keep him at an angle to feed.  Hang in there - it all gets better with time - but really I think you just grow accustomed to it and its far less distressing for mom and dad.  But when he can't be settled, the happiest baby five S's do actually work. 

The first night I swaddled him, he had been fussing all night and would not go to sleep.  I finally got a blanket out and swaddled and he was asleep before I had even finished wrapping him up.  I found that the velcro swaddlers dont work at all.  You have to use a receiving blanket.

hope this helps!