Multiples

Big twins

My boys have been measuring very large my entire pregnancy. I passed my GD testing but I sometimes wonder if I should have asked for repeat testing later on. All of my u/s are done at the MFM, and they said their measurements aren't usually off more than 1/2 lb or so. I think I saw a few other large twins on here. Are there any complications I should anticipate with delivery (I will have a c-section anyway, scheduled for 38 weeks)? As of 36 weeks, Baby A was estimated to be more than 7 1/2 lbs an Baby B right over 7 lbs.
imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Big twins

• It is really hard to get good measurements this late in the game.  My baby A measured 4.6 at my 35 week u/s and at 37 weeks he was born weighing 6.10.  I can't tell you about complications but just wanted to share that.  Good for you for making it this far and having such good measurements though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been getting growth u/s every 3 weeks almost my entire pregnancy and they've always measured 2-3 weeks ahead. I thought their growth would slow down in the 3rd tri due to running out of room, though. I'm sure of my due date as well. It might be genetic since I was a 10 lb baby myself. I worry about how much my uterus can take!
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just had my monthly appt with MFM and I am 32 weeks and they both measure over 4lbs each. They have seemed over the average weight for that week for a singleton. I am scheduled for a 38 week c-section too. I passed my testing too. I don't think there should be any complications. OMG, only 2 weeks left for you, how exciting. best wishes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • at about 35 weeks my girls were measuring 7.14 & 7.15 lbs...they were born at 36 wks, 2 days weighing 6.13 and 7.1 - u/s measurements can be off easily by up to a pound...but sounds like you are growing some good size babies!
  • At my 37w u/s my guys were estimated to be 7.14 and 7.8. I was induced at 37w6d and they were 6.12 and 6.1. Good luck with the last couple weeks! You're almost there!

ETA: Mine were born vaginally with forceps. Both ended up being posterior and then transverse after my OB attempted to turn them. Thank you for an excellent epidural. There was a lot of "manipulating". Stick out tongue

• I don't remember the exact u/s weigh estimates, but mine overestimated the weights too.  However, mine were 7lb 4oz and 6lb 15oz at birth.  Not to scare you but I did have complications due to my big babies.  I think my belly was measuring 48 weeks the day I gave birth.  I guess my uterus was overextended and it wouldn't contract back after the birth.  I ended up bleeding a lot (I needed 4 blood transfusions and a lot of medical interventions to get the bleeding to stop).  I found out later that this is a potential complication of multiples.  However, my doctor was very prepared.  He said it was very rare.  Guess I was just the lucky one.       
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • were you or your DH big babies?
    some women just make big babies.

Griffin was born at 36w and was 7lb 4oz.  The twins were born at 38w and were 7lb 15.6oz and 6lb 6oz (my peanut!). 

I was a 9lb baby, DH was 8lbs... my sister's kids were both large at birth... we just make big babies.

and US's can be QUITE off - a friend was told, when she was overdue, that her baby was 7lb+ via US... the baby was 11lbs!! yes, ELEVEN pounds!

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • imageUsedToBeGoldie:

were you or your DH big babies?
    some women just make big babies.

Griffin was born at 36w and was 7lb 4oz.  The twins were born at 38w and were 7lb 15.6oz and 6lb 6oz (my peanut!). 

I was a 9lb baby, DH was 8lbs... my sister's kids were both large at birth... we just make big babies.

and US's can be QUITE off - a friend was told, when she was overdue, that her baby was 7lb+ via US... the baby was 11lbs!! yes, ELEVEN pounds!

holy crap!!! that's a big baby...and a lot to be off by!!!

• My babies were born at 36 weeks. DD was 6 lb 11 oz and DS was 7 lb. 2 oz.

No complications for the babies and as far as I know (and I'm pretty certain), there were none for their birthmother either.

*My brother was an 11 pounder born vaginally, w/out meds, and both my grandparents were 13lb!

• Thanks for the info.  I do worry about post-surgery bleeding. Big babies, big uterus and two placentas sounds like a scary situation.  I have a good team of doctors, so hopefully they will be prepared for anything.  It's just getting close now and I'm starting to get paranoid.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageeveram01:
    Thanks for the info.  I do worry about post-surgery bleeding. Big babies, big uterus and two placentas sounds like a scary situation.  I have a good team of doctors, so hopefully they will be prepared for anything.  It's just getting close now and I'm starting to get paranoid.

there are 10x's more good stories out there than what you see online... people genearlly post their horror stories... so remember for every horror story you hear about childbirth there are tons more good ones :)

i had no issues with recovery. I had a c/s with the twins - 15lbs of baby in me... no issues with my cervix going back down, etc. I hardly had any bleeding at all - much less than i had with my vaginal birth of singleton... the nurse said with a c/s they can scrape a lot more out = less bleeding, and that was true for me- i had just spotting after 2 days.

and FWIW- my c/s recovery was 100x's easier than my vaginal with my singleton (had a 4th degree tear with him).... so you just never know :) lol.  Go in expecting it to be great but knowing it can not be so great- and you'll do fine :)

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • All of my growth ultrasounds showed large babies too.  They were big, but not nearly as big as they had predicted.  DS was 7 lb and DD was 7 lb 7 oz.  My first born was 9 lb 12 oz so I guess I just grow them big.  I was really nervous before my c-section about my uterus contracting, but everything worked out just fine.  I will say that my daughter has had a few complications from being stuck in such tight quarters.  We are seeing a physical therapist for torticollis and when she was fist born her head shape was very elongated.  The doctor thinks that both issues are related to her positioning in utero.  Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"