3rd Trimester

To induce or not to induce?

I'm having very mixed feelings about this topic. My doctor insists that I need to be induced before I hit the 40 wk mark. With my first DS, I failed the glucose tests which automatically made me "diabetic" however I never had to be on medicine and he was born the day after his due date and weighed 6lbs 11oz. With this DS, I failed the glucose tests early so they are also considering me "diabetic" even though I havent had to be on medication either and they started me doing NST and ultrasounds weekly at 30 wks. All have been great, DS is avg size so they say, fluid is good, placenta working well. I have felt like they are over testing me to begin with becuz there are no problems. I have been eating what I want and my blood sugars have been great. I dont really feel 100% comfortable with inducing and I have a drs appt tmw so the dr can check me and decide what to do. Has anyone else gone through this? Any inducing stories to help? I really dont feel like I was diabetic, I just dont have a tolerance for the glucose drink. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To induce or not to induce?

  • If I was 40 weeks and 1 day I would induce. If not at 40 weeks, what for? Your gut is telling you that things are OK so why not go with your gut? Are there other Dr.s at your practice? If so I would want to know what other medical opinions on this would be. BFF most surely had GD and was medicated and she was not induced! Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really don't even see why your doctor is talking about inducing you at all if everything is looking good and normal. It seems totally unnecessary to me in that case, especially before your even to full term. Your doctor sounds very induction-happy to me, and, if your really not comfortable with that, then you should probably find a different doctor. Because, it's never too late to switch. You should talk with some of the other doctor's at the practice you go to and see what their take on that situation is. If you find that your more comfortable with one of them, then it would be a lot easier to switch if you could still stay at the same building.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary my read shelf:
    Tawny's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) image
  • Listen to you! !f you are not comfortable with what your doctor is doing then voice it. Do not give up your control. It is your body and your baby, you know whats best better than anyone. It seems strange to me that they would be doing so much testing and want to induce before your 40 week mark if everything is going well.

    With that said, i was induced at 39 weeks because my husbands Army unit sent him home on leave for a week during his deployment to Iraq to be with me during the birth.  I would never encourage any woman to go through an induction unless it was absolutely necessary. I had a great labor and birth experience but I did wind up having to have an emergency c-section. The risk of c-section goes up slightly with induction. I can't help but wonder if I had just let the baby come in his own time if i could have had him naturally so i am going to just let this pregnancy go until she is ready to come on her own then hopefully have a successful vbac. My advice is to stand your ground if there is something that you are not comfortable with and seek the opinion of another doctor.

  • I have heard so many horror stories about induction and long/difficult labors that it would take a lot for me to be okay with an induction. If your baby is average size and your blood sugar is under control, I don't know of any reason to induce. If I were you'd I'd try to postpone the induction to 41 weeks and see what happens.

    I had a 3 hour GD test and my results came back great (definitely don't have GD). However, I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead of the EDD the midwife original set for me (but only 1 week ahead of when I think we conceived). At '34 weeks' (which was 35 weeks based on the EDD I determined for myself and 33 weeks based on their original EDD) my little guy was already approx 6lb6oz based on the growth ultrasound. My midwife said if I was seeing an OB they would probably have set an induction date, but she feels if I can grow it in me, I can get it out.

  • I don't have any experience with the GD part, but I was induced at 39 weeks and 6 days. My OB wanted to induce me at 38 weeks but I wasn't comfortable with it. I figured the baby would come out when he was ready and I had heard all the horror stories about emergency c-sections and long intense labor, etc. etc. But there are risks associated with "post term babies" as well. I would discuss your concerns with your doc and make the decision that makes YOU comfortable. Nobody's induction will be the same as yours, but you only seem to hear about the awful ones. Mine was the opposite! I was super scared before induction, but my labor/delivery was a breeze :)  I was dilated to 1cm since 32 weeks, so I got cervadil for 12 hours and then an epidural and pitocin. Once I got to 10cm I pused for 20 minutes and E was born. I ended up with a 3rd degree tear becuase he was so big :( (i guess i should've listened and gone in at 38 weeks) but other than that, I have no complaints about induction.

    image

  • I could have written your post almost exactly. I have been going for NSTs 2x a week and have had no issues with my numbers and am completely diet controlled. All of the doctors in the practice that I have seen (there are 5 that still deliver) say that with GD they will induce somewhere between 39 and 40 weeks and would not want me to go one day past my due date. I'm torn on the whole induction thing but also want my baby to be not too large and in good health. The only thing that did happen is that the baby did drop from being at the 75th percentile at our 32 weeks growth scan to being at the 50th percentile at our 36 week growth scan so here's hoping everything stays on track.
  • I was diagnosed with GD after my 1 hr test and OB skipped the 3 hr and said I can NOT go past my due date. This is before any monitoring of baby, size ultrasound, etc. I'm not really okay with inducing if everything is fine. I just think 9/10 it's better for baby to come when they are ready. I think I will insist on the monitoring and if something is up I'll induce on my due date. Otherwise, no way.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would ask if you can put off the induction and see how far that gets you. I would also want to know your Bishop Score - it's possible to predict how likely an induction will succeed based on where your body is at before they try. If they insist on an induction when you have a low score, your odds of a c-section go way up.

    Listen to your gut. You don't think what they're telling you makes sense - ask more questions, get a second opinion in the practise if you can, and if you can, delay.

    Risks of post-term refer to after 42 weeks, not after 40.

  • I was induced at 41 weeks, so I dont know what to tell you other than my experience with induction was great. I went in at 8 am went straight on to pitocin and got an epi at around 10:30 pm, DS was born at 3:46 pm the next afternoon. I did have to have stiches but that is because he was not a small baby and I am a rather small woman.

    I have never had a good reaction to that damn glucose test either. With both pregnancies I had horrible morning sickness for the first 4 months or so, and the glucose drink would make me throw up. I never tested over where I should be (after taking it 2 or 3 times) so I say go with your gut. You know what feels right and dont be afraid to talk with your doctor and tell them what you want.

    image

    image

    image

  • image tokenhoser:

    I would ask if you can put off the induction and see how far that gets you. I would also want to know your Bishop Score - it's possible to predict how likely an induction will succeed based on where your body is at before they try. If they insist on an induction when you have a low score, your odds of a c-section go way up.

    Listen to your gut. You don't think what they're telling you makes sense - ask more questions, get a second opinion in the practise if you can, and if you can, delay.

    Risks of post-term refer to after 42 weeks, not after 40.

    Agreed with this - what is your Bishop's score? Are you dilated at all / effaced at this point? Risk for a C-section does go up about 45% for a first time mom with an unfavorable score (cervix closed still, etc). 

    See if you can get a 2nd opinion from another Dr and make your concerns known. I'm scheduled for an induction on my due date (so in 2 days) due to hypertension and my progress thus far has apparently led my doctor to believe conditions would be safer for both me & baby to go this way rather than keep waiting. (Of course I am hoping I go into labor on my own in the next 48 hours).  I trust my doctor, though - she's been concerned about my BP for weeks now and wanted to pull me out of work early (I stopped at 38 weeks rather than go up to closer to my EDD).

    If you don't have other medical concerns and testing is coming back fine, I'd be voicing my hesitation as well.

    Big Sister ~ Little Brother

  • GD is not automatically a reason to induce.  If you are healthy and the baby is fine, why not let nature take it's course?  You can discuss induction after your due date.

    Have your sugars been good?

    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Yes my sugars have all been good. Thats how I feel as well. Y not let him come naturally?

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your advice!! My appt is this afternoon and we shall see how it goes! I am going to voice my concerns and see what happens. My dr will be checking me to see if I'm dialated at all which will affect how things go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced at 41 weeks with ds. I went in at only 1 cm at about 6 am, the nurse started pictocin at 7 am, and I had ds at 3:13 that afternoon. It was actually really easy labor and delivery, well other than having a 3rd degree tear.
    Mom to 2 healthy boys, and a baby girl in Heaven. Heard her heartbeat on 7/18, heartbeat was gone on 7/20. Miss you forever.
  • I would agree with getting a second opinion but I would listen if both of them recommend it bc this is there job and they have done it a lot more times than I have.
  • I would take my Dr.'s advice more so than strangers from a baby board.However, if not medically neccasary than I dont see why you would? If your Dr. says it IS medically neccesary than do it ! Your Dr. is not there to stear you wrong...they are there to help you, guide you and to give you their educated advice.
    Live,Laugh and love image"image"image"imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards