3rd Trimester
Options

Male or Female OB?

2»

Re: Male or Female OB?

• Options
    I feel the same way!! I currently see a female CNM who works in a practice with three other male doctors. I have not seen any of the males doctors my whole pregnancy(33 wks) and I am terrified that she will not be there when I deliver. I'm afraid I will have a panic attach if a male dr. comes in and says he will be the one to deliver me....yeah, defiantly dreading L & D 
  • Options
    As long as the doctor is someone I can trust, I don't care if they're male or female.  However, I have had more positive experiences with male OBs in the past.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB is a female- but at Kaiser midwives delivery - and you get who you get. So...I have no idea who will be delivering me.  Which, by the way, does not bother me at all!
  • Options

I have had male and female gyn/OB  over the years and I haven't had a preference.  I will say that being pregnant, I like talking to the females a bit more b/c if I'm describing a pain or a feeling they can relate.  And yes, internals from a man are a bit more uncomfortable.  My current OB is a female....but I go to a large practice and have seen several of the men and I'm happy with all of them except one (when I was in college, I had an abnormal pap smear I had to get a biopsy and he said they were testing for HPV.  I commented that "a friend of mine has it....why is it that lately you are hearing more and more of it," basically making conversation while he was "down there."  His reply?  "Probably because all of you girls are sharing the same boyfriend."  Jerk- it ended up being negative.)

Anyway.....a male delivered #2 and it didn't matter to me either way in the delivery but I seem to prefer women in general care. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer female.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't prefer one over the other, it's more about personality. That being said my OB is a man but he shares his practice with a NP/Midwife and I see them both for every other appointment. I love them both but mostly because they're hilarious, super nice and calm and take their time with all their patients. I look forward to appointments :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"