Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Is your car seat gender neutral?

I am about to order a new car seat for DD and my favorite fabric pattern they offer is on the girly side.  We are hoping to have at least one more kiddo.  BUT I would think they'd be close enough in age that we'd probably need two at the same time anyway (though obviously there are no guarantees there).  Would you go with the gender neutral (though less exciting) pattern?

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-advocate-70-cs-car-seat-in-anna.html

ETA: made link clicky

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is your car seat gender neutral?

• I went with a girly one, but I'm done with 2!
  • LCB34LCB34
    10000 Comments 250 Answers Combo Breaker

Infant seat yes.  Convertible no.

I figured baby #2 could use the same infant carrier as Kate since that is something that is only used for a handful of months.  But, I am buying a convertible that will last Kate a while - so I went with something girly.  I'm hoping she is in her ProRide for a couple of years. 

If we ever have a #2, I'm sure there will be new convertibles out and I will get a new one at that point.

• image LCB34:

Infant seat yes.  Convertible no.

I figured baby #2 could use the same infant carrier as Kate since that is something that is only used for a handful of months.  But, I am buying a convertible that will last Kate a while - so I went with something girly.  I'm hoping she is in her ProRide for a couple of years. 

If we ever have a #2, I'm sure there will be new convertibles out and I will get a new one at that point.

Awesome.  You just justified my girly car seat purchase.  If DH asks why it isn't grey, I'll tell him the pattern was cheaper :)

• We have the yellow Britax Marathon with butterflies all over it. So nope. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is our first kid and we went gender neutral with most stuff. Our car seat is gray and yellow. I tend to like the gender neutral prints anyway, though.
    DSC_0330edited image
    The two men in my life. Oh, and I have a husband too...
  • We got the Graco MyRide 65 in both a blue and a green.  I would not mind putting a future child in there if she were to be a girl.  His infant seat was beige/brown/orange plaid.  Not as neutral, but could still work.
  • If it's a car seat that you're going to use until LO maxes out of the weight/height/age, get the girly one because most likely she'll be using it until it expires.  If you have another kid they'll probably be in the bucket seat for 6m-1y until they'll need a convertible and if they're close enough in age you'll have to buy another one anyways to transport them at the same time.

and to make stuff clicky, put [ link] before and [ /link ] after the URL, just take out the spaces. 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• I went with girly for DD, and I do regret it a little. I got both of DD's Britax Marathons for less than $145 new, so I couldn't be too picky. I bought our 3rd seat (for babysitters, grandparents) a Britax Roundabout 50 for $48 last year and it is gender neutral. I did have a gender neutral Marathon, but I returned it because I found a girly one cheaper.

Now, I wish they were all gender neutral, because I kind of want to move DD to a new seat and pass her's on to DS. Oh well. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For Olivia, we got her the Britax Ashley print.  Then, we decided to put a carseat in our other vehicle - so we went with Britax cowmooflauge.  

Now, we have Natalie - in the ashley and Dominic in the cowmooflauge.  Olivia is in the Frontier cowmooflauge.

So......get the girly print, chances are you'll need extra seats anyway....... 

• image MrsLacy:

and to make stuff clicky, put [ link] before and [ /link ] after the URL, just take out the spaces. 

Ooh thanks.  Testing out clicky knowledge below:

• image Genevieve_kris:
    image MrsLacy:

Ooh thanks.  Testing out clicky knowledge below:

woohoo! 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Our infant seat was grey with yellow piping. Our new car seat is black and grey.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• We got a girly print but we are definitely done after three kids so I didn't have to worry about it. I love the print you picked out!
    image image
  • Mostly everything we got is gender neutral since we don't plan on having another so soon, but if you plan to have them close in age, I don't see the harm in getting a converter seat that is on the girly side.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Yes mine is neutral.  I think Britax sells replacement covers if you're worried about it.

• image SuperCuteBenz:

Now, I wish they were all gender neutral, because I kind of want to move DD to a new seat and pass her's on to DS. Oh well.  

This is my plan, so all of ours are gender neutral.

That said, you can buy a boy cover later on for $50 instead of spending another couple hundred.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our infant seat is gray (we didn't find out gender) and I think our convertible is neutral as well.

That being said, who really cares? If it's slightly girly and you have a boy he won't know, he's a baby! The only people who would care are adults and they don't have to sit in it. As long as you like it that's all that matters. It's not going to "womanize" a child who sits in it.

Proud daddy since July 2010
    www.hangingwithdad.com
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image stayathomedaddy:

That being said, who really cares? If it's slightly girly and you have a boy he won't know, he's a baby! The only people who would care are adults and they don't have to sit in it. As long as you like it that's all that matters. It's not going to "womanize" a child who sits in it.

Ha ha.  This is exactly what I was thinking.  I'm not too worried about it - obviously it reflects my taste, not my child's.

• image stayathomedaddy:

Our infant seat is gray (we didn't find out gender) and I think our convertible is neutral as well.

Eh. I sort of agree.

However, DD's seats are bright pink with yellow flowers and then brown with big pink flowers and polka dots. So, DS may not care now, but he may by the time he is 3. Wink

I am keeping my eye out for extra covers. The new ones are $80, and I can't justify spending that much on one. I am hoping to score another awesome deal this Summer on a second seat for DS. We will see.

DD is tiny, so she will likely be in her's til they expire anyway, so I guess I don't really need to worry about it. I think she is 27lbs soaking wet. Wink

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We went with a gender neutral color and pattern for the convertible seat, but we got a girly patterned infant carrier.  We were thinking that we could use the convertible seat if we had another, but now that we know we're one and done, I may get a more girly pattern for the second convertible seat for our other car.
  • Our infant seat and our convertible seats are all gender neutral. However, a lot of this is mainly because I prefer gender-neutral colors anyway. 
    "To me, you are perfect."

• nope! i have 3 children- a 15 year old boy, a 2 year old boy, and a 16 week old girl...and my boys had 'boy' car seats' and my girl has 'girl' infant seat, and will have 'girl' car seat...i know everyone is different, but my husband and i believe that each child should get  new car seats...their own car seat..so whilst i have a lovely  blue, 'maxi cosi mico' infant seat in the garage - my daughter is in the same style of car seat but in pink...and in a few months when she moves into a 'safety 1st air protect' car seat- it will be a girl one! 
    leahbub
  • Infant seat - yes.  It was red/black.  Convertible seats were girly (pink/gray).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We went with a gender neutral pattern for the infant seat and I'm so sick of it I can't wait to get her in a convertable.  I'm thinking of doing the same as you and getting a prettier, girly pattern for the convertable since she'll likely still be in it when #2 comes along.
  • Yes. Our carrier is tan and green, and the convertible I just ordered is blue with paisley print. I think they both work well for boy or girl- and most importantly, I like them!

A + Life

Anniversary

Me:24 DH:27
    TTC #2 since August 2011

DX: Low AMH 1.79 Mildly elevated FSH 9.9

1 month of Letrozole, 3 IUI's with Letrozole, All BFN. 1 canceled IVF cycle, BFN.

May 2013 IVF w/ICSI #1.5: Start BCP 5/8 2 pills a day. Suppression Ultrasound 5/29. Begin Dexamethasone & Lupron Microdose 5/31. Started Gonal F and Menopur 6/2.

ER 6/12 13R,9M,8F.

5DT CANCELLED due to moderate OHSS

5DT UNcancelled due to embryos not being capable of cryopreservation

Transfered 2 "poor quality" embryo's on 6/17

No frozen embryos.

Beta #1 6/25 6. Chemical Pregnancy confirmed. Beta #2 6/28 -1
    Done trying

• We went gender neutral with all of our "big" items. I'm now very glad that we did!
  • Thank you for your post! I have been thinking the same thing and have found this post helpful. I think I am going to go girly on the convertible. The infant carrier and everything else is neutral (green and brown). And I want pink!

Your choice is very cute...not too girly!