Breastfeeding
Options

Painful red bump on areola - help!

I have a VERY painful red pimple-like bump on my areola.  It just popped up today.  About 10 days ago I switched to the smaller (21mm) Medela breastshield for my pump, according to the sizing guide, and it seems to be right where my areola would rub when I pump.  But I've been pumping twice a day since I got the smaller shields, so if it was from that wouldn't it have happened sooner?

Anyone know what it is or know what I can do to help it go away?  It's right where DS's lip goes when he latches, so it's pretty painful to nurse him on that side.  I don't think it's from a bad latch, as we've never had any latching trouble.  Thanks for your help!

ETA: I just tried to BF him on that side, and it was okay for a minute or two, and then all of a sudden I was in excrutiating pain, and I pulled him off and the bump was huge and purple Crying

Re: Painful red bump on areola - help!

• Options
    Sounds like a clogged Montgomery's gland.  I had one several months ago and it was horrible.  Your not supposed to squeeze them but I couldn't help myself.  I took a very very hot shower, and then squeezed as hard as I could.  It took a bit, but finally a bunch of thickened milk came squirting out. It immediately started feeling better.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm no doc...but if it stays painful and inflamed might be worth having the doc lance it. Sounds to me like an infected spot (pore or duct clog?)...but maybe its a blister? Just be sure to keep your shield and breast clean and dry, wash hands, etc...but it could just be a freak infection...it happens.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely could be what the first poster said but you might also want to look on Kellymom website and see if it could be a milk blister. I have had one on the tip of my nipple and this latest on my areola.  The first time I had it, my doc wouldn't do anything to "pop" it and it did go away within ten days using heat every once in a while plus lanolin ointment after nursing.  This last time (on my areola) it has taken a bit longer to go away but has responded best to heat and lanolin as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagebancbev:
    Sounds like a clogged Montgomery's gland.  I had one several months ago and it was horrible.  Your not supposed to squeeze them but I couldn't help myself.  I took a very very hot shower, and then squeezed as hard as I could.  It took a bit, but finally a bunch of thickened milk came squirting out. It immediately started feeling better.

all of this. Happened to me a week or so ago! Super gross but kinda fun to squeeze it... Embarrassed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"