3rd Trimester

still sleeping on back

I swear i get so mad at myslef. I wake up on my back. I have tried everything. The only saving grace is that I am propped up 45 degree's ( got into this habit early with the acid reflux) so i don't have numb feet. BUT am I harming my baby....anyone else...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: still sleeping on back

• No you are not harming your baby. I don't know why so many people think this honestly, but there's nothing that will damage your child because you sleep on your back. Your baby might put pressure on an artery that might cause YOU to get dizzy, pass out, etc., but your body will wake you up before that happens. My Dr. told me to sleep however I want and can actually fall asleep. Goodness, especially propped up 45 degrees you're fine.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • No- like PP said....the danger is not to the baby, its to you!!  No need to get mad at yourself- if you're sleeping be thrilled.  I always start on my side but sleep on my back probably half the night.  Your body knows when to flip to the side.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebiblionerd:
    No you are not harming your baby. I don't know why so many people think this honestly, but there's nothing that will damage your child because you sleep on your back. Your baby might put pressure on an artery that might cause YOU to get dizzy, pass out, etc., but your body will wake you up before that happens. My Dr. told me to sleep however I want and can actually fall asleep. Goodness, especially propped up 45 degrees you're fine.

This.  I wake up on my back all the time.  And generally it's not because I'm dizzy or going numb, I just have to pee for the billionth time.  My doctor has never mentioned to me to not sleep on my back, and like PP's said - if there's a problem, your body will tell you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wake upon my back every. single. night.
  • Thanks.. i feel better.  Just needed to hear another opinion
  • I still sleep on my back at some point during the night most nights.  Sometimes it is the only way I can get comfortable.  Your body will tell you if you need to change positions.
  • I mentioned to my doc at last week's appt that I was having trouble sleeping on my side (gives me terrible back pain)...he asked me why I didn't just sleep on my back.  lol.  I told him the pregnancy books said it was bad, and he said the books are stupid, just sleep on my back if that's what's comfortable!  So I'm going with the doc on this one.  I haven't woken up numb or anything, and it certainly helps me sleep.
  • Exactly what all of the PPs have said. My doctor told me from the get go when I was "supposed" to start changing sleeping habits as far as positions go and within the same breathe she also stated that whatever makes me feel comfortable and get a good nights sleep, Go for It! She said that if anything began to go wrong (pinched nerve, slowed blood flow, etc), my body would tell me and essentially wake me up to move or move on it's own. She did say if possible, prop myself up but again, to her comfort was key knowing that baby (and you) will be okay.
  • I'm a back sleeper too. I've been trying to sleep on my sides but it is often too uncomfortable.  My midwife said if back sleeping doesn't bother me it's ok (though not ideal) but it's most important that I get some sleep.  My (female) chiro who has 2 healthy kids said she slept on her back & that your body would tell you if something wasn't right in that position. Even so, each time I wake up on my back, I panic thinking I've done something to harm the baby!

My mom said that 35 yrs ago there was no advice against sleeping on your back. I'm very curious what studies prompted this advice because it seems pretty controversial among drs and the advice may be doing more harm than good if mom's aren't getting adequate rest.

Regardless, you are not alone! It's reassuring to hear from the others 

• I too wake up every single night on my back.  I start my laying on my side but after awhile my side starts to hurt.  It seems like sleeping on my back is the only way I can get comfy.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagebiblionerd:
    No you are not harming your baby. I don't know why so many people think this honestly, but there's nothing that will damage your child because you sleep on your back. Your baby might put pressure on an artery that might cause YOU to get dizzy, pass out, etc., but your body will wake you up before that happens. My Dr. told me to sleep however I want and can actually fall asleep. Goodness, especially propped up 45 degrees you're fine.

Yes

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you are propped up at a 45 degree angle, then you are not lying flat on your back anyway.  So you're fine regardless - enjoy that position.  That position is 100% fine.  Flat on your back may not be ideal, but propped up is totally fine.
    Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Even with my snoogle I still wake up on my back much of the night. I just reposition myself to my side and fall back asleep.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"