Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How do i know the difference between a growth spurt and colic?

C had cried pretty much non stop for the past four days. and it doesnt seem to be getting better. I havent given her any gas drops but i dont believe she has any gas pain, she doesnt seem to be straining to push out gas or anything, so i dont think thats it.

The only time she calms down is if i hold her against my chest, obviously thats making it hard to get things done around the house. H ordered me a moby but it wont be here till possible next monday so i need something to help in the meantime. 

She wont sit in her swing, her boppy, her carseat, her bouncy, or anything. She will literally SCREAM until i pick her back up. Swaddling helps, and even though the escape proof swaddle scares the hell out of me, i did it this morning because i couldnt take it anymore and she was using her hands to keep herself awake, But now shes crying because she HATES this swaddle and shes struggling to get out of it, and the arms out swaddle doesnt work with her because like i said, she uses her hands to keep herself awake.

I assumed it was her 3 week growth spurt, but now im wondering if she doesnt have colic? She doesnt cry for hours at a time, and she WILL go to sleep, but its very difficult to get her to calm down and then she lays here for an hour and cried on and off because she wants out of this damn swaddle. I feel like a failure and im at a total loss of what i need to do to make my baby happy. id love to sit and hold her and look at her all day but my arm is tired and i need to get housework done, and H doesnt realize how demanding it is to take care of her alone all day, so im not getting help from him like i should. HELP me please.

1ht dont hate

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do i know the difference between a growth spurt and colic?

• Options

how to know it is colic, The episodes of inconsolable crying:

• Begin within the first three weeks of life
    • Last at least three hours a day
    • Occur at least three days a week
    • Continue for at least three weeks
    • Seldom last longer than three months

I suggest getting a sling or carrier, then you can have you hands free while baby naps, fusses etc. 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options

Since she is only 3 weeks, it could be the beginnings of colic.  Our DD started with colic around 2 weeks.  The moby does help - but if your baby is colicky there will not be a lot of time to get other things done and you WILL need help beyond your husband.  It is extremely frustrating and very taxing to be with a screaming baby all day and all night long, where nothing seems to help.

The biggest thing with colic is to make sure you take care of yourself - have someone else help you and your husband, take breaks from the baby, and try as much as possible to get sleep.  My husband and I moved about a year ago and have no family here.  My mom stayed with us for a month after we had the baby and 5 days later we drove 5 hours to get her back because we just couldn't do it alone!  She stayed another 3 weeks.

We changed formulas and tried all of the tricks and the only thing that made our DD better was time.  She got better each week after about 6 weeks.  She still has some episodes but I would say that she is now a completely different baby.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it's a growth spurt, feeding her will calm her down much of the time (of course not all the time)! I would try to feed her whenever she is fussy and see if it helps. My twins just had a three week episode of eating all the time and being fussy. Sometimes we swore they couldn't be hungry yet so wouldn't offer food, but it turns out they usually were.
  • Options

imagemissfire:
    If it's a growth spurt, feeding her will calm her down much of the time (of course not all the time)! I would try to feed her whenever she is fussy and see if it helps. My twins just had a three week episode of eating all the time and being fussy. Sometimes we swore they couldn't be hungry yet so wouldn't offer food, but it turns out they usually were.

we just upped her from 2 oz at 2 weeks, to 3 oz and thats what ive been thinking. She cries and roots like shes hungry, but i dont offer any food because theres NO WAY...maybe i should give her 3 and a half oz?

is that a normal feeding amout for an almost 4 week old?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"