April 2011 Moms

ILs aren't coming to visit LO :(

DH got the call tonight that his parents (who live a good 10hr drive away in FL) will not be coming to visit us or LO until June. We are being induced tomorrow and they were planning on driving up this way as soon as FIL got off of work through the night to come visit us. I am really, super disappointed. They aren't coming for financial reasons but I'm still really down in the dumps over it. I don't get along with them at all but I hate the fact that LO won't be meeting her grandparents until she's 2 and a half months old!

I'm also a little ticked because now SIL wants to just 'send us money' instead of visit us in two weeks as well. What the hell!? She's already booked her hotel room and supposedly bought tickets for her family to do things up here, so I don't get it. Two and a half years ago when she had her son I was out of a job and DH was newly employeed and couldn't get any time off so we suffered the 10hr drive (twice in one weekend!) to see them. So to be honest I'm a little ticked that there is no 'two way street' thing with my IL's. And I'm sad for my baby girl because she's the one getting the short end of the stick.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

Re: ILs aren't coming to visit LO :(

• imageSouthSideDrea:
    I understand that you are disappointed, but your LO won't know the difference. Just focus on your baby family and enjoy your new girl.

Ditto. I'd be frustrated too, having made the effort myself and not having it returned, but LO won't really notice and now you know not to feel horrible when you can't always make it to family things.

Enjoy your special time with LO. Its not really her that's being shorted, its your ILs and its their own problem.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageStarJay:

imageSouthSideDrea:
    I understand that you are disappointed, but your LO won't know the difference. Just focus on your baby family and enjoy your new girl.

Ditto. I'd be frustrated too, having made the effort myself and not having it returned, but LO won't really notice and now you know not to feel horrible when you can't always make it to family things.

Enjoy your special time with LO. Its not really her that's being shorted, its your ILs and its their own problem.

You know what, that is so true.

• Loading the player...
  • It is hard when we have an idea of what family does for each other and then no one else shares that. I understand :(

My MIL and her husband live in their own world and don't get the obligations and such the rest of us have. I feel bad for DH, he loves his  mom, but has always been pushed aside in life for her whims.

That said, he is the oldest and this is the first grandchild. She has entertained the idea of coming in June, but could be August. I just don't get why she wouldn't want to come sooner, even if her husband isn't entirely sold on coming. But again, that is what I would do for my family and I have to get over that it hurts DH and myself and focus on the fact we have our baby girl coming!

Best of luck to you tomorrow! I can't wait to see pictures! And just focus on what you can control, not what you can't :)

DD ~ 4/21/2011
    DD 2.0 ~ 12/30/2013

• I actually clicked the wrong link and ended up in April 11 and saw this post on accident, but felt I should post. Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone. OP, I know Exactly how you feel. It's not about you, it's about your LO. My IL's came to the hospital when I had DS, but stayed all of 5 minutes and then left because my MIL had to go shopping. My dad came to the hospital as well, he and his wife stayed all of 2 minutes and left without even holding their grandson because they were hungry. We didn't see any of them again for 2-3 months. I was devastated. I know DS won't remember, but I will. It is one of the main reasons I didn't start filling out his baby book (which I regret now), but I would cry every time I pulled it out and turned to the page that asks who came to visit the week after we got home from the hospital. I just couldn't make myself write No one. I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't. Just know that you aren't the only one going through this. Good luck with the birth of your LO!
    boots badgePhotobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry hun. That stinks but now you have more quality time with her.
  • I understand your disappointment, but it's probably for the best. Aren't these the in-laws where FIL or someone spit in your face, and someone once threatened you? I think you're better off without them (for now, at least). Just enjoy your time with you, DH, your little girl, and your mom :-)

Hugs!

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• imagegenaruthp:
    It is hard when we have an idea of what family does for each other and then no one else shares that. I understand :(

Best of luck to you tomorrow! I can't wait to see pictures! And just focus on what you can control, not what you can't :)

Thank you! This is definitely where my hurt feelings stem from - we did it for them without thinking twice about doing it. I just figured that it's what family does for one another. Oh well, fool me once shame on you, right?

imageshaindelr:

I understand your disappointment, but it's probably for the best. Aren't these the in-laws where FIL or someone spit in your face, and someone once threatened you? I think you're better off without them (for now, at least). Just enjoy your time with you, DH, your little girl, and your mom :-)

Hugs!

Yes, unfortunatley these are the psychopathic people. I'm happy we are not raising our chil(ren) around them but am sad that they aren't making the effort to be apart of our LO's life. Crazy way of thinking, but this is DH's parents and he loves them and misses them tremendously. I know he's disappointed they won't be here to share such a monumental moment in his life which kills me (it kills me even more that he craves their support still) but at the same time we're very happy to be able to have more alone time now to focus on being a family.

• I can relate to you in so many ways.  We have no family coming for LO's birth.  My mother is a devout Catholic who refuses to travel during Lent (she doesn't want to be away from her Church)  Huh?  So instead, she'll come to see us after Easter.  My father (they are divorced) is thinking he may come in May or June.

Dh's parents are too busy to come.  His sister and her husband are leaving their 4 children with them for a week so they can go on vacation.  There is a ton of backstory on this situation (I'll spare the details)  

My sister is set to come on 4/7.  She is staying for 3 days.  I am glad she is coming.  It should be mentioned that the only reason she is coming is because MH emailed her and gave her some grief about how nobody is coming for the baby.

I have some friends from work who may stop by the hospital and perhaps a few other friends who may as well.  I am over being disappointed by the family.  The bottom line is, this is about who is there not who isn't.

• imageSouthSideDrea:

I agree. I live in Tennessee and my family in Nova Scotia. It will be a month or 2 before my Mom gets here to visit and the rest of my family won't meet my daughter until Christmas when she is 8-9 months old. I wish it was different, and sometimes it makes me sad, but it is what it is, you know?  Try to focus on the good stuff.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"