Breastfeeding

Supply Tanked - Any and all tips appreciated

Hi!  I rarely lurk here because I have been very fortunate with BFing and pumping.

My supply has tanked.  What do you suggest?

DS has been STTN (12 hours) for a few weeks now.  I feel like I've got very little for him in the mornings, and I get about 4 oz total pumping at work (used to be 10-15!).  I am taking (approved) allergy meds that haven't previously had an impact.  I pump at night before bed, eat oatmeal, drink tons of water, with no improvement...ugh.  

My freezer stash is about gone, and am sending the boy to DC with some milk, some formula.  Debating if I should give in and stop, or keep fighting for more. 

Supplements?  Tips?  Tricks?  TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Supply Tanked - Any and all tips appreciated

• Are you eating enough?  I was having supply issues and I realized I'd been dropping weight steadily since returning to work.  So I make it a point of eating more than usual, snacking frequently and my supply has gone up.  But I was sick for a while and it might just coincide with finally starting to get better.  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• a few suggestions I have

1.Don't offer any artificial nipples while you are with baby,only the breast.this ensures all babies sucking needs are met at the breast. 

2.If you are giving solids, offer them while baby is at daycare only. Offer your breast-milk when you are with baby.

3. Consider adding another pumping session. (the morning seems best for most women) and pump for 2-5 minutes after the last drops of milk.

4. Take a nursing vacation. spend your weekend in bed with baby, just nursing,relaxing and plenty of skin-to-skin contact.

Supply is like a garden,if it is suffering you won't see results overnight, but continuing the work will get results!!

Even if your baby gets a little formula while you are away, giving baby breast-milk when you can makes a huge difference! 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • image ceciliasdiamond:
    Are you eating enough?  I was having supply issues and I realized I'd been dropping weight steadily since returning to work.  So I make it a point of eating more than usual, snacking frequently and my supply has gone up.  But I was sick for a while and it might just coincide with finally starting to get better.  

Interesting - I think my eating has changed some.  I'll start there.  I hope you are feeling better!

• You can try power pumping. 

Another thing that may be impacting it is your activity level.  If you have started back at the gym, or if your job requires a lot of motion during the day you could be burning too many calories and need to eat more.  Good Luck 

• The same thing is happening to us, so I feel your pain.  DS started sleeping ~10 hours per night in the last 3 weeks or so.  I do all that you do, eat oatmeal, drink tons of water, and pump.  I also take Fenugreek 3 pills, 3 times a day.  I don't think it's really helped me, but a lot of people do see a difference.  I am barely getting 4oz out of 3 pumping session at work when I used to get close to 15.  I have power pumped for my whole lunch hour for 2 weeks straight and it doesn't make any difference.  I have not gotten AF yet, so I don't think that's it.  We may have some formula in our future also.  If you haven't tried the Fenugreek, it might be worth a shot!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image rosiemomma:
    4. Take a nursing vacation. spend your weekend in bed with baby, just nursing,relaxing and plenty of skin-to-skin contact.

Thank you!  I will try what I can, but this sounds especially yummy.  Big Smile

• image rosiemomma:

Thank you!  I will try what I can, but this sounds especially yummy.  Big Smile

And I am looking into fenugeek as well.

• I've been having the same problem and it seems like a combination of seemingly nonstop power pumping (3 hours a day in 10 minute increments), fenugreek, blessed thistle, and a heating pad have finally done the trick.  The heating pad is dual purpose.  It relaxs everything to help with let down and I can't see how much I'm pumping so I can't stress about how little it iss.  I pumped twice as much just from losing the stress.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers