May 2011 Moms

Ambien...

Anyone taken this pregnant or ever?  I haven't been able to sleep for weeks and every 2 weeks I complain to my doctor and she has said she would give me something but I never took anything when I was pg with DD so I was trying to stick to that this time.  Well, I NEED sleep, so at my appointment today she gave me a prescription ambien.  I am very excited for a good nights sleep but I am just wondering kind of what to expect and if anyone else has taken this pg?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Ambien...

• I haven't personally, but a very good friend of mine took ambien through out her pregnancy. (after 1st tri).  It was worth t for her to sleep.  I think she usually only took half of whatever pill she was prescribed. 
  • I've taken it a handful of times, actually the 2 times I've been admitted for PTL the doc makes me take it to get some sleep. I asked for a Rx at my last appt because I haven't been sleeping at all, I've taken it twice since then and my only complaint is that it REALLY sucks when the toddler decides he's going to wake up early or all night long because you're super groggy and out of it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • image farrellashleigh:

I've taken it a handful of times, actually the 2 times I've been admitted for PTL the doc makes me take it to get some sleep. I asked for a Rx at my last appt because I haven't been sleeping at all, I've taken it twice since then and my only complaint is that it REALLY sucks when the toddler decides he's going to wake up early or all night long because you're super groggy and out of it.

Oh, good to know, thank you!!  I am putting DH on toddler duty that night for sure!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've known several people who not only are super groggy with it the next day(even after getting a good 8 hours of sleep), but also have hallucinations.  As a pp said, taking about half a tablet solves some of these problems for some people. 

Everyone is different though, for me personally it took about six hours to work and then lasted several hours after I wanted to be awake again and the effect lasted about 12 hours, not the 7-9 it should have. 

Definitely follow the advice on the bottle of not driving or operating heavy machinery until you know how your body reacts to the medicine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've taken a tiny dose a handful of times.  It worked well.  Normally, when I am not pregnant, I would take 10 mg and I took 2.5 when pregnant.  2.5 actually worked and gave me enough push to fall asleep without any bad effects.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • did you try plain bennadryl? that puts me out.

Ive taken ambien (not preg) and it does make you feel strange. You have to take it when you on your way to bed. and make sure you dont get up in the middle of the night. My sister ordered weird stuff online and i woke up and decided to eat (multiple) times and didnt even remeber what i ate the next morning! very strange. But you do go into a deep sleep....

Oh one more story- I took it on a plane ride to greece and i was dreaming that i was spackling a wall, and woke up brushing my hand up and down the seat in front of me......  and of course my family was laughing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers