Multiples
Options

Does multiples mean more prenatals/folic acid?

My family recently asked me if I was taking more than the normal amount of prenatals.  This made me wonder if I should be taking more than 1 prenatal a day and 1 mg of folic acid. I asked the RE about this and he said I may need more folic acid, but told me to wait until I meet with the MFM in 10-15 days.

With multiples did you take more than 1 prenatal a day...what about folic acid?

Hope you are having a good week:)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does multiples mean more prenatals/folic acid?

• Options
    I was told to take the regular dosage of prenatals but extra folic.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageJosiePosy:
    I was told to take the regular dosage of prenatals but extra folic.
    this
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My prenatal contained folic acid and I was told that was fine (I specifically asked at my first appt after finding out there were 2). I did take fish oil pills though, since my prenatals did not contain DHA/ARA. HTH!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Thank you!  I guess I will have to ask about this.  I have a prescription for 1 mg folic acid but initially they told me my prenatal already have 1 mg of folic acid so I did not need to take the extra 1 mg...hmmmm
  • Options
    Just added more folic acid (1mg). 
  • Options
    I take an extra 1 mg of folic acid and 325 mg iron.
  • Options

It depends on your blood test, I've never heard of taking more then one prenatal, pretty sure thats a no no.

I take one prenatal (with DHA) extra folic acid per my dr, and extra vit D3 since my levels on that were a little low. I started getting a tad low on iron just recently but the supp was making me sick so we're re-testing my levels again this week to see if I need a different iron supplement.

Spontaneous ID Twin Girls - born 38w 2d Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagebabya2010:
    My prenatal contained folic acid and I was told that was fine (I specifically asked at my first appt after finding out there were 2). I did take fish oil pills though, since my prenatals did not contain DHA/ARA. HTH!

Same here!

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

You would think extra baby = extra prenatal vitamins! I had the same concern, but just like everyone else who responded, I was told to take one prenatal vitamin plus one extra mg of folic acid daily.  I also take a couple calcium chews a day.  This was recommended by my doctor to help with restless leg syndrome at night.  The RLS comes and goes, so I don't think the calcium is helping much anyway!  

BTW - if you're like me and terrified of giant-size pills, I found a pill that comes 2 little pills in a pack to take each day.  It's called Prefera OB and it also contains DHA and all that other good stuff...but the biggest appeal for me is the ability to swallow 2 small pills rather than 1 giant one. 

Lotta in's, lotta out's, lotta what-have-you's
  • Options
    The best answer is that there is no good data on this. Standard recommendation for pregnant woman is 400 mcg. Most agree moms pregnant with multiples need more - but no consensus on how much. Some sources say 1000 mcg (1 mg) while others say 2 mg and others (including Dr. Luke) say 4 mg.
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board