Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Need ideas to help wean from the pacifier!

On DS's 1st bday we took away the paci during the day but we still let him have it when he sleeps.  He is 19 mos now and going to day care next month and I really dont want him to nap with it anymore.  So we have tried a few different things, but he still cries for it and won't nap at all.  Last night he was really tired and he did go to sleep without it, but he woke up at 5am looking for it and he usually sleeps at least until 8.  Any suggestions?  TIA.

Re: Need ideas to help wean from the pacifier!

• Is he going to daycare for the first time?

My advice is to either go cold turkey and get rid of it pronto.  He will get over it in a few days.  

Or (what I would do) relax and let him have it for the transition to DC.  DS was always a paci-for-sleeping-only baby, but even just transitioning to the toddler room was rough for him.  I let him have the paci during the day until he adjusted.

FWIW, we ditched his paci completely a few months ago.  It only affected his sleep for a few nights, then he was back to his normal sleep pattern.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • There will be tantrums and crying for a few days but you have to stick to your guns.  We went cold turkey.  It took about 3 days of crying at bedtime, and one night the wind woke him up and he couldn't go back to sleep.  But after day 3 we were pacifier free and he sleeps like a champ (even better than before)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You know, we were those smug "Our baby doesn't really like her paci" parents when DD was much younger.  Now, however, I swear she stores them around the house and digs them out like a dog with a bone.  Of course, now is when we're planning on weaning her also.  I don't have any suggestions, but I'm right there with you!  GL!
  • image rebeccaontherocks:
    There will be tantrums and crying for a few days but you have to stick to your guns.  We went cold turkey.  It took about 3 days of crying at bedtime, and one night the wind woke him up and he couldn't go back to sleep.  But after day 3 we were pacifier free and he sleeps like a champ (even better than before)

this

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker