High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Hello ladies! 2 vessel cord questions

I hadn't been considered high risk (although I can't imagine why-- (MFI, so IVF with ICSI, I am overweight, and 37 for first pregnancy)  but today I received some news from Tuesday's anatomy scan that I am trying not to freak out about. We had done IVF with ICSI, so we knew there were higher risks for complications than with natural conception.  Today, the peri told me that the baby has a 2 vessel cord and is sending me to the pediatric cardiologist for a fetal echo. Has anyone experienced this/know someone who has?  How did you get through it and how often did it cause true concern in the pregnancy? 
imageimage My special EA/TEF fighter! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image

Re: Hello ladies! 2 vessel cord questions

• Options

Margaux (in the siggy) had a two-vessel cord.  They watched her for IUGR and heart stuff.  She does have a VSD that will need surgery, but she delivered naturally and on time, with fabulous apgar scores and was average-to-small sized.  She is healthy and thriving.

Unrelated, she also had vasa previa, but that is REALLY rare. 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

We were dx with this at our anatomy scan. DO NOT GOOGLE THIS...its just scary. The doctor doesn't seem too worried about it, almost an incidental finding. We will just have some NSTs and a couple additional U/S's to check for problems with growth (some babies with this are on the small side).

I think there is also some increased risk for genetic abnormalities...but we already had the additional U/S's and blood work done and the baby didn't have any soft markers so I think we are good on that front.

From what I've heard from a lot of other people is that the vast majority of babies with this are just fine :) Try not to worry too much :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not telling you this to freak you out, but our Claire had a 2 vessels cord.  Along with missing one kidney, IUGR, and a major congenital heart defect.  Amnio was normal.  Now were all these issues related to her 2 vessel cord??  I don't know.  What is just some freak coincidence?  Maybe.  I hear all the time of babies with 2 vessel cord being born healthy all the time. 

I had a friend from grad school who's first child had a 2 vessel cord and had a tracheoesophageal fistula, had surgery, and is now a thriving 3 yr old. 

Best wishes and don't google!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just a lurker here but saw your post.  DS had a two vessel cord that was not noticed until an u/s at 36 weeks.  :( Why it wasn't caught sooner, I have no idea (it was a new tech who specialized in high risk when I had that u/s to check for his position). Anyways, we had some soft markers for downs at our 20 week u/s but did not go ahead with any further testing or amnio at that time.  It was suggested for us to have an amnio but with only a few weeks left to go, I did not do it.  We did have many u/s and NST's towards the end because of this finding. He came out perfectly healthy and weighed almost 8 pounds.  

I have always wondered if DD had this two vessel cord thing and it went unnoticed as well since she has major growth issues and was full term and only weighed 5 lbs 2 oz.  They monitored me the last trimester and half of the second due to this growth problem with many u/s and NST. But she was perfectly healthy also.  I agree with pp, do not google this!! 

• Options
    We were also diagnosed with SUA (single umbilical artery) at our anatomy scan.  Since we had negative results for the quad screening and everything else on the ultrasound (they gave us a detailed 2nd ultrasound right away) looked normal they said it's an isolated incident and not a big deal.  We will have a NST at 30 weeks and one ultrasound a month to check for growth until he's born.  Right now he is in the 50th percentile for growth so we aren't concerned.  Try not to worry...from what I've read (even on the internet!) it doesn't mean there's something wrong with your baby.  Just try to eat a good diet, keep your BP down, and listen to your doctor.  Good luck!!
  • Options

I have two experiences with SUA:

1. DD had a SUA along with a chloroid plexus cyst, so two soft markers. The dr's were never really worried. I had a lot of u/s b/c I had twins, so I'm not sure if I had extra but the SUA was never brought up again after the fetal echo (which I demanded--the MFM didn't evn suggest it b/c he wasn't worried), although at every u/s they did spend extra time looking at her cord to make sure the remaining artery was working well. DD had no problems at all and was born at practically full term (36w4d, 37 week is full term for twins). She's small (39th percentile at 6 mos) but I think that's just her natural size.

2. I had an SUA (34 years ago). My mom's OB noted it in my delivery notes. I did have IUGR and stopped growing at 32 weeks and my mom delivered at 36w. However, that was many decades ago, and I'm a normal, healthy adult now.

My dr's told me that if they weren't reqiured to tell me, they'd prefer not even to mention the soft markers b/c so often they are nothing and just cause unnecessary worry.

• Options

DD had a two vessel cord.  I freaked out...I googled, etc. Dont do it- trust your doctor.

My daughter is perfect. They monitored her for IUGR (didnt have it- was born 7lbs, 6 oz), did a fetal echo- perfect.

Sge did just fine with her SUA. Good luck to you!

• Options
    Thank you ladies so much! I am feeling so much better about this.  Two weeks until the fetal echo to see more of what is going on.  Thankfully, there were no markers for chromosomal abnormalities, the doctor wants to look for congenital defects in the heart at his point. 
    imageimage My special EA/TEF fighter! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image
  • Options
    At our last ultrasound they said our little girl has a 2 vessel cord, at 19 weeks.  Naturally I am freaking out over this, but have kept myself from doing any internet searches because I know how vast and often untrue the information can be, nonetheless embellished to scare people.  I've questioned multiple doctors about the cord and none of them are raising any red flags regarding it.  Our regular OB just wants to track her growth every 2 weeks after our 24 week appointment.  He says that things look to be just fine, this is just something that can happen and not to worry over it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"