2nd Trimester

:( what does this mean / has this happend to you?

I went for my final ultra on friday. everything seemed fine while she was doing it. then the doctor came in and whisperd "is that a cist?" ultra tech said yes quickly and dismissively. then she had him look at the umbilical cord and seemed less then thrilled. He went on to say, I'll talk to you about all this in the office when you're done. we found out the sex so we went from completely enthralled to... wtf?

Basically there is a cist in the brain in a certain part called the choroid plexus which all the info i got was i may go away. and also in the umbilical cord there are only 2 blood cells instead of 3. he said "it could be good or bad, i see some women with this" basically he turned out to suck a lot because he gave me no info and was in a rush to run out of the room. i asked what could happen with the two and he gave me nothing except that we need to go this week for a level 2 ultra at a different hospital. i asked if i did something or can do something and he said nope, nothing you did or can stop. so what does this mean and should i be as worried as i am? has this happend to anyone? anyone delivered a healthy or "unhealthy" baby with this? help im scared.

yes... im ditching the uninformative doctor.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: :( what does this mean / has this happend to you?

• I am so sorry your Dr. was not more forthcoming.  I am assuming you had a choroid plexus cyst on the baby's brain. That, and the 2 vessel chord, are both "soft markers" for a chromosomal problem with the baby. If you had one or the other alone, there really would not be much of a reason to worry at all, as they are not normal, but not uncommon in pregnancies of healthy babies. The fact that you have two is MORE of a concern, but by no means a definitive sign that there is a problem. I think there is another mom on here who had the same two markers and her baby is fine.

They will do a more detailed u/s to check for other abnormalities, and you will most likely be offered an amnio. It all depends on your level of comfort with what they find/have found, and knowing now, or when baby is born, if things are OK. Keep in mind that you have a much, much, MUCH more likely chance that it is nothing.

Did you have a NT scan or any screenings done earlier in the pregnancy?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Yes i had 2 sets of bloodwork and a finger prick test and everything came back perfectly fine, which is why this came as a huge shock. hopefully wednesday everything else goes well when i have my level 2 ultra. that amniocentris test scares me. I just pray my baby is fine and healthy =/
  • I think it is a great sign that the early bw was normal. Sometimes these babies just aren't "textbook" but usually, it is all OK. We had terrible NT scan results, did a CVS and all was normal. I will keep your LO in my thoughts and prayers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • gummybear summed it up pretty well.  DD had 2 CPCs (the cysts that your baby has) but no other soft markers so with our good blood work, they told us after the level II u/s found nothing else that they recommended doing not doing an amnio but follow up in 3rd tri with another u/s to make sure everything was still developing fine.  The cysts resolved themselves and everything looked fine.  What is concerning  in your case is the finding of two markers-the cysts and 2 vessel cord.  We had a scare with DS too, but with him we were recommended to do an amnio which we did.  Again everything turned out OK. I have come to the conclusion we will never have a normal u/s free of markers, and while the markers can mean something they don't always. I will hope you have the same good fortune.  Good luck with your next u/s.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My baby has a 2 vessel cord also. I had to wait 3 weeks to find out more at my next ultrasound. At my second ultrasound they did an echocardiogram on the babies heart, because a heart defect is common with a 2 vessel cord. They also checked the kidneys as a defect in them is the next most common thing. Once we found out all of her organs were great they told me not to worry, but that they will monitor her for growth restriction for the rest of the pregnancy. Most babies with a two vessel cord turn out just fine, especially when your screenings came back good. Try not to worry too much. I know that is very hard to do.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gummy and pp had great info! I have to say i really appreciate these type of great answers. So nice to have such informative bumpies around.

OP, im so sorry you are going through this. I will be looking for an update. When do you go for your next US? Did you say you are switching drs?

I personally might wait to switch just to see how he deals withe info from the 2nd US. However, unless you are completely unhappy with him and this isn't the first occurrence I would totally give him the boot. 

• what a stinky dr! I am so sorry. I know nothing about this condition or anyone who has had it. google is a great resource... but take all stories and information with a grain of salt.
  • OP, I'm glad I came across your post. My little girl has the exact same two things. We found out at our 18 week anatomy scan. However, our doctors explained things much better than yours. The CPC's (choroid plexus cysts) are fairly commong (about 1% or more of babies have them) and by themselves probably wouldn't mean anything. They are considered a "soft marker" for Trisomy 18 (which is pretty rare and usually obvious on an ultrasound).

The two-vessel umbilical cord or SUA (single umbilical artery) is also fairly common and on its own usually doesn't cause problems, although baby will have to be monitored more closely for growth. It is also a "soft marker" for a chromosome problem (Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18, etc). What our doctor told us was that if our little girl had only one of these two things, he wouldn't worry at all. With both, it raises the concern, but odds are still very much in your favor that your baby is fine! We went back at 22 weeks for a fetal echocardiagram, which looked good. However, the CPC's still hadn't gone away (they do many, many times) and the doctor again highly recommended an amniocentesis.

We went ahead with the amniocentesis, which tells you definitely if your baby has chromosome problems. We were also very nervous and hesitant about it, but we had two doctors we trust highly suggest it. We ended up doing it...the procedure went well and we got our results back yesterday that she is perfectly healthy! I'm not saying you will have to do an amnio, just wanted to tell you our experience. We were trying to wait until her birth, but it got very stressful and we thought it was better for her if we knew ahead of time about any problems so that we could line up the best care. Especially if it had been Trisomy 18, we felt that we needed to know to have the best care lined up. Trisomy 18 usually has many more markers show up though, so please don't google that and freak out about it.

Make sure you go see a perinatologist and ask lots of questions! We were at a perinatologist the whole time and they specialize in this stuff. They explained things very well and we really felt like they had our best interest at heart. That's why we followed their advice- we trusted them. Find a doctor you trust, especially when you are dealing with things like this. And for what it's worth, amnios are considered pretty safe these days. Yes, they have to tell you that there's a risk, but it's small. For us, the risk of her having a chromosome problem was higher than the risk from amniocentesis. My bloodwork came back great too (1/10,000 chance of chromosome problems), but when they see "markers" it does raise the concern. My doctor wouldn't really give me specific numbers, but it was around 1 to 2 % chance of a problem. Please don't worry, as the odds are very much still in your favor that LO is fine! Feel free to PM because I literally know EXACTLY what you're going through and how scary it is.

DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • well we did go for our level 2 ultra, and more markers came up. we got set up for another apointment to check on things a month later which will be next month. we're praying everything goes well and our little baby is going to be fine, but it was scary knowing that there was many more things than just the 2 we initially were told about. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, its nice to hear people care when they don't even know you. I will not being going through with any amniocentises test weather i am highly suggested or not. its just not something my husband and i are interested in. we'd rather wait with the risk of not knowing for sure, than to possibly lose a healthy or even unhealthy baby that we love so much. so as far as that goes it will be a short few months until we see our baby and know for sure, but otherwise we will continue to checkup on her. Thank you again Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards