2nd Trimester
Options

16 wks, can it still "sprout" a penis and scrotum???

I had an u/s today, and we saw the 3 lines quite a few times, absolutely zero boy parts, got a picture of it, but the u/s tech said it's still early and it could still end up being a boy, that it's could still "sprout" its boy parts.

HUH??? WTH? Really?

I really wanted to tell my daughter today she's getting a sister, but now I'm not confident!

Has this happened to anyone else, or was this lady just crazy?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 16 wks, can it still "sprout" a penis and scrotum???

• Options
    no. by 16 weeks, the sex is very clear. Especially since you saw the girl parts and not just an absence of boy parts. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    it is still early...you can't rely on a real answer until 18-22 weeks normally when your Anatomy Scan is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would say it's possible because it's still early, but if you clearly saw the 3 lines then it's probably still going to be a vagina in 4wks

Congrats :)  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Anatomically, it shouldn't "sprout" a penis after 16 weeks; your baby's sex organs should be fully developed.  In some cases, ultrasound techs can't be entirely sure of the sex at that point in pregnancy, but not because the baby's organs aren't developed.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    I had a surprise u/s today to check cervical length and since we are Team Green we let both the tech and OB know we did not want to know the sex. They both said it is really too early to be definitive and 18w+ is the window of opportunity. My OB went on to say that the sex organs can still resemble each other at 16w.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    id deff wait cause 16weeks is early to tell gender for sure!!!
  • Options
    The tech told me at 23 weeks I was 100% having a girl with DS. At 30 weeks, I was told he was 100% a boy. Even experienced techs can make mistakes. The parts are there, yes, but sometimes they can be mistaken.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The baby is not going to "sprout" genitalia at this point, but if he has a penis, it might pop out a little more.  Whether the sex guess at 16 weeks is accurate depends more on the skill of the tech who is doing the exam, and the angle and quality of pictures you are getting.  FWIW, an u/s at 16 weeks made it perfectly clear that DS was a boy, and that this baby is a girl. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I found out at 16 weeks with my daughter and there was 3 very distinct lines and no boy parts.
  • Options

imagekacelle:
    Anatomically, it shouldn't "sprout" a penis after 16 weeks; your baby's sex organs should be fully developed.  In some cases, ultrasound techs can't be entirely sure of the sex at that point in pregnancy, but not because the baby's organs aren't developed.

This! If your baby were a boy, I'd just assume that his exterior organs were not as prominent yet. But again, they are already formed by now one way or another, so nothing will randomly sprout! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ok, I'm not a doctor, but at 16w I saw the three lines and my doctor said we're having a girl.

And at 19w anatomy scan I saw the penis and scrotum and it's actually a boy. 

• Options
    Just because sex organs are developed by 16 weeks... doesn't mean they will be easy to see on a U/S 100% of the time.
    Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me it was a girl at the 12 week sonogram. And he was right! Smile
  • Options

Our perinatologist said ours was a girl at 15 weeks. I don"t think he would have said anything if he wasn't pretty sure.

That being said, there is a difference between seeing three lines and just not seeing a penis. I would be confident yours is a girl.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing sprouts. It's the opposite. Both sexes have a nub (penis like protusion). If it's a girl it gradually grows inward to form the clitoris. The three lines are the creases in the legs, and her center girl part (from what I have read). Sounds like a girl! GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I wouldnt trust a sex confirmation at 16w. For people who had an early declaration of the sex of their baby and it was re-confirmed at a later time... my only answer is you have a 50/50 chance of being correct. Those are decent odds. But I wouldnt put all of my marbles on it. I would book a follow up at 19 weeks. Then you can rest assured... I have known too many people who went and bought all kinds of things and then upon the birth of their child realized they were not a boy/ girl. U/S period is not 100%, sorry Im a skeptic... GL momma!

image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"