3rd Trimester

let's get it started (naturally inducing labor)

I have been measuring weeks ahead consistantly, and at my growth scan on the 31st, i may just be told that I can begin attempting to naturally induce labor!

My friends have went on a SPREE of telling me their best methods.

I know that I will be getting a pedicure soon, granted I find a salon that will touch my very pregnant feet, and I have a birthing ball I will be using! I also want to attempt to pump, in hopes of stocking up any extra colostrum i can possibly get!

I have heard a few other things (besides stairs, sex, spicy food, etc.)

Red Raspberry pills being one. Wondering if any of you have tried this or any other type of herb/supplement that DID work? My friend took them as directed, and was still pitocin-induced, but only had a 4 hour labor!

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: let's get it started (naturally inducing labor)

• I would not really pump you only get so much colostrum. And the baby needs that right when the baby is born. So I would skip that and just rub your nipples and that kind of stuff.

But that is JMO

• I can't do another post like this again! Paging Biblionerd... didn't we just do this yesterday?

You're 34w6d- your earliest u/s is the most accurate and you can measure ahead all you want but that makes it a bigger baby, not an older one. An early u/s isn't going to be at least 3 weeks off in the dating.

Leave the damn baby alone! Do you know what it's like to have a 35 weeker in the hospital? It sucks! DD measured big too, and she was big for her age, but that didn't make her any more ready to be born. Baby's come when baby's are ready. There's no medical reason for you to induce your baby, natural or not. Give your child the best start you can by letting them develop as long as they can where they're supposed to- on the inside.

Also, if a practitioner tells you at 35 weeks that you can begin doing anything to induce your baby that person needs to have their medical license revoked!

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm

My baby has been measuring a couple of weeks ahead this last part of my pregnancy also. My growth scan at 34 weeks put her at 36 weeks. I'm still pregnant, and as uncomfortable as it is I know that labor will start when it's supposed to.

I don't think any natural induction method is going to work unless the baby is ready.

A friend of mine was sitting at  4cm and 75% effaced for several weeks. She tried everything in the book for self induction. Sex, PR oil, red raspberry tea, walking, and whatever else she could get her hands on. Yeah, she still ended up being induced at the hospital.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Pumping to get colostrum is the lamest thing I've heard on here lately, that says a lot. You have 3 other kids, you should know how breastfeeding works by now. 
  • Seriously. Don't try and jumpstart labor at 34 weeks! Like pp said, just because you're measuring ahead that doesn't mean your baby is older, just bigger. I definitely wouldn't start pumping if I were you because your baby needs that colostrum when it's born.
  • I agree with PP. Please let LO come on his/her own. I have been measuring ahead  but that can mean several different things and since I was charting I know my due date.

My MW ok'd me to start drinking red raspberry leaf tea and taking evening primrose oil at 35 weeks, but these do not induce labor.

• imageluvdv8:

I can't do another post like this again! Paging Biblionerd... didn't we just do this yesterday?

You're 34w6d- your earliest u/s is the most accurate and you can measure ahead all you want but that makes it a bigger baby, not an older one. An early u/s isn't going to be at least 3 weeks off in the dating.

Leave the damn baby alone! Do you know what it's like to have a 35 weeker in the hospital? It sucks! DD measured big too, and she was big for her age, but that didn't make her any more ready to be born. Baby's come when baby's are ready. There's no medical reason for you to induce your baby, natural or not. Give your child the best start you can by letting them develop as long as they can where they're supposed to- on the inside.

Also, if a practitioner tells you at 35 weeks that you can begin doing anything to induce your baby that person needs to have their medical license revoked!

Exactly.  We are all excited to meet our LO's, but it won't be worth it if we have to look at them through an incubator because they weren't ready.  Let your LO keep baking. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm having deja vu... is it Groundhog Day??

Ditto everyone- leave your baby alone, it is too early to be forcing him out. And measuring ahead doesn't necessarily mean your further along. *sigh*

imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• Her original post says that at her appt ON THE 31ST she may be told it's OK to start self-inducing labor... seems like she'll be 37 weeks then.

My Dr. and some nurses have said after 37 weeks, it's game on - none of those methods will really work unless your body is ready anyway, so after 37 weeks it seems like there's no harm in trying.  I'd definitely not use the pump, unless it's in the hospital and using it to speed labor at that point!

• imageMissMommyMac:
    Seriously. Don't try and jumpstart labor at 34 weeks! Like pp said, just because you're measuring ahead that doesn't mean your baby is older, just bigger.

I can't believe how difficult of a concept this is to grasp around here. Size does not equal full development. And measuring ahead of what? Ahead of standard baby size? I just don't get that.

FFS...leave your baby alone.  

• i have tried several methods and nothing has worked, i've just accepted the fact i will be medically induced tomorrow
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hmmm...lets see. Using ME as an example I'll show you how dang impossible it is to naturally induce.

ME: 4+cm dilated, 90% effaced, lost my mucous plug already!!!!

I was due 3/15 with my Third child. I've been using the following methods to "get the party started".

Membrane Sweeping a week ago

Yoga ball (everyday)

sex

nipple stimulation

castor oil

meditation/visualization/prayer

• imageMissMommyMac:
    Seriously. Don't try and jumpstart labor at 34 weeks! Like pp said, just because you're measuring ahead that doesn't mean your baby is older, just bigger. I definitely wouldn't start pumping if I were you because your baby needs that colostrum when it's born.

this.

Holy Moley...people please stop trying to induce early!  There is no need for it...and if there was your DOCTOR would do it for medical reasons only.

Just because my LO is measuring 2 weeks ahead does NOT mean he is 39 weeks along...it means he is a bit bigger than the norm.  Nothing more. 

And to start pumping early is ludicrous...baby needs that colostrum. 

EDIT: and from a past post you said you were only measuring a few days ahead....nothing to get excited about. 

• Meh...it won't work anyway. It'll just drive you crazy trying and will really cut back on your enjoyment of life in the next few weeks.
  • my bosses wife just delivered at thirty four weeks. his baby was only four lbs and will likely be in the nicu until may. is that something you wish on your unborn child. i hope just bc your baby is measuring ahead doesnt mean they are ready to come. and pumping for colostrum is the stupidiest thing i have heard. even if u pump you probably wont get anything anway.
  • Coming from someone who is on strict bed rest due to pre-term labor (at 33 weeks), please leave your baby alone. I don't care if it's measuring 42 weeks, savor the time your precious baby has to develop.

♥ mm/c 2/6/2010 ♥ lydia 4/28/2011 ♥ c/p 10/25/2011 ♥ edd 2/23/2012
  • and here I am sitting in L&D trying to keep baby in.... wow.
  • I'll probably start trying some of these things around 38 or 39 weeks.  I don't think they'll work if my body isn't gearing up for labor yet anyway--but if it is, maybe they will work and maybe not.  As a VBAC, I have limited options for inducing, and if the baby doesn't come out on his or her own, I'm probably looking at another c/s.  So yeah, I'll do whatever I can that's safe to avoid that.

There are some studies finding nipple stimulation is effective at helping induce labor.  It doesn't work for everyone (in fact, I tried it with my first pregnancy), but neither do Cytotec, Cervidil or Pitocin.   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are no words...
  • imagekdodge423:

If your doctor tells you that you can induce labor early due to a large baby, he's dumber than you are.

I love you dodge. Looooove you. 

♥ mm/c 2/6/2010 ♥ lydia 4/28/2011 ♥ c/p 10/25/2011 ♥ edd 2/23/2012
  • imagekdodge423:

If your doctor tells you that you can induce labor early due to a large baby, he's dumber than you are.

THANK YOU.

This is the dumbest post ever. Seriously. Keep that child in you. Why in the *** would you want to risk it? I lost all respect for you. 

• imagemandaree:

Hmm

My baby has been measuring a couple of weeks ahead this last part of my pregnancy also. My growth scan at 34 weeks put her at 36 weeks. I'm still pregnant, and as uncomfortable as it is I know that labor will start when it's supposed to.

I don't think any natural induction method is going to work unless the baby is ready.

A friend of mine was sitting at  4cm and 75% effaced for several weeks. She tried everything in the book for self induction. Sex, PR oil, red raspberry tea, walking, and whatever else she could get her hands on. Yeah, she still ended up being induced at the hospital.

This, totally. I was 4 cm dilated from 38 weeks to 41.5 weeks and had to be induced. I also "measured ahead" but my daughter was born 7 pounds, 10 ounces.  I tried EVERYTHING in the book short of blue and black cohosh and nothing worked. I tried castor oil (twice,) scrubbing floors, spicy food, evening primrose oil, stairs, walking, and a lot of sex. Sorry, unless you have a pitocin drip or amnio hook at home, you aren't going to be able to induce your own labor

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"