Breastfeeding

Medela Harmony - lost suction...

Hello ladies - any of you who have the Harmony, did it ever lose suction?

I've tried it several times today and there is no suction! Just out of the blue this morning, it stopped working. I took the silicone membrane off and removed the stem/o-ring, wiped it off, and put it back together. Nothing was torn or cracked that I could see, but it still has no suction.

Anyone have this problem? And did Medela send spare parts to you? I've only had it for 2 months, I don't feel like it should already stop working... and I certainly don't feel like I should have to buy new parts (even though it's only $6 for a new valve/o-ring, I'm thinking with shipping it will be closer to $12.) Am I lame for whining about that?

Also, what do you do in the meantime if you are waiting for parts? I mean, I pump every morning and night, I nurse in between, but I just don't want to hurt my supply (which is already having a hard time staying up).

Thanks to anyone with advice. :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Medela Harmony - lost suction...

• my only thought would be that the little white membrane deal is either damaged or not on correctly - that's usually what it was on mine, but that was the pump-in-style -- I have the harmony but I rarely used it since the double is so much easier. if you need to order parts, you might be able to rent a pump from either a hospital or from a specialty store.

if you are, by any chance, in the LA area I'd say head over to the Pump Station (or even go on their website - it's got lots of tips) and have them take a look at it.

or call a La Leche League leader www.llli.org who might be of some assistance.

• I haven't used my Harmony in a long time, but I did have problems with losing suction from time to time.  Hopefully this makes sense - when you pull the handle off of the pump there's a yellow oval-shaped piece underneath the larger clear oval piece.  This yellow piece would somehow get turned left or right instead of being straight up and down.  Twisting it so that it was straight up and down would fix the problem for me.

If this isn't the problem and you end up having to wait for parts I would suggest hand expressing.  I think there are videos on kellymom and youtube.

GL!

• image smj2301:

I haven't used my Harmony in a long time, but I did have problems with losing suction from time to time.  Hopefully this makes sense - when you pull the handle off of the pump there's a yellow oval-shaped piece underneath the larger clear oval piece.  This yellow piece would somehow get turned left or right instead of being straight up and down.  Twisting it so that it was straight up and down would fix the problem for me.

If this isn't the problem and you end up having to wait for parts I would suggest hand expressing.  I think there are videos on kellymom and youtube.

GL!

Oh goodness! I'm going to try this. When I pulled it apart, it was crooked and I put it right back together crooked too. Thank you!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Medela has a troubleshooting section for the Harmony and it has a section on loss of suction. Hope that helps!

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breast-pumps/help/157/harmony-breastpump

• Turns out that hard disc thing was rotated and didn't match up with the little indents in the silicon thing. Thanks ladies!! Lifesavers. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thank you!!!
    I registered with this website just to let you know that you totally saved me! Turning the yellow oval under the handle fixed my Medela harmony suction problem, and saved me from replacing the whole thing. SO glad you posted your experience. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards