Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

did any one have a vag delivery witha 9+ baby?

I went in on my due date for testing since I didn't dialate ever....dd was weighing in at 10 lbs...so they scheduled a c section that night...they told me they don't delver babies that are weighing over 9 lbs...(dd weighed 8lbs 7oz)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: did any one have a vag delivery witha 9+ baby?

• Ds was 8lbs 15oz and damnt that counts!!!  I was really lucky and had no tearing either, my midwife was awesome and did all sorts of massage on my ladyparts with oil while I was pushing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did.  My DS was 10lb 7 oz at birth (15 inch head) and was a vag delivery.  I did end up with a not so nice 4th degree tear and some permanent damage--but I don't think that was due to his weight.  I only pushed for 21 minutes so maybe my body didn't gradually stretch.  

Due to the damage, my OB, a pelvic floor surgeon, and my biofeedback physical therapist has all pretty much told me that I need to have a c-section next time.  :(

• Loading the player...
  • Whatt??  I have not heard that before. DS was 9 lbs 5 oz and was a vag delivery.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom had my two brothers (9 lbs, 5 oz and 10 lbs. 3 oz) vaginally and one of my friends had a 10 lbs baby vaginally.  I have never heard of a doctor forcing someone to have a c-section because of the size of the baby.  Also, you have the right to disagree with your doctor.  Size of the baby alone is not reason enough to be forced to have a c-section.  If you want a VBAC, you can always try and if you aren't able to deliver vaginally due to the size, then you can have a c-section.  Ultrasounds can be off by a pound up or down so they aren't that accurate. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS was 9lbs 1 oz. And I think thats total BS! They dont know exactly how big a baby is before its born!
  • DS was 9lbs 12 oz with a big head and he was vag delivery.
  • Those measurements are notoriously wrong. I had DD vaginally...she 7 lbs 13 oz...almost 8 lbs. I am 4'11....think of the size of a 3rd grader. I asked my midwife if I was too small to deliver a pretty good size baby and they said they had seen women my size deliver 9lb babies before. You need to believe you can do it.
  • I didnt, but I know several who have. My 5'2" mother and my petite (thin) MIL were two of them. Both without epidurals, too.

Doesnt it seem strange that they scheduled you for a c-section for a "10 lb baby" and "no progress" ON your due date? Um...they do realize that babies dont have a magic calendar in there, and that they dont usually come out on the actual EDD? And that u/s measurements can be off by up to several lbs? And that women CAN and DO deliver 10 lb babies vaginally?

• yeah that's exactly what I was told...so we ended up having a c section....i wanted a vag delivery but when he said that I had gotten all nervouse just for the fact everything was happening so fast...and wasn't expecting that..i did ask about a vbac and he said no...he said only 2 hospitals do that in the state of florida...where I was living at the time....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Both of mine have been under 5 1/2 lbs... Im no help!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Both mine were 9 lb'ers
    imageimage
    Alivia Nichole Willow Nov. 9th 2007 @ 8:22pm 9 lbs 4 oz 20.5"
    Ian Robert March. 5th 2010 @ 6:41pm 9 lbs 1 oz 20.5"

Our blog http://rappfamilyof4.blogspot.com/

• Both of mine were 9 pounders.
    imageimage
    Alivia Nichole Willow Nov. 9th 2007 @ 8:22pm 9 lbs 4 oz 20.5"
    Ian Robert March. 5th 2010 @ 6:41pm 9 lbs 1 oz 20.5"

Our blog http://rappfamilyof4.blogspot.com/

• mine was a 9 pounder, 4.4 ounces.  no major complications...perhaps your doc was worried about your pelvis/had other concerns?  i can understand why you agreed...it's hard to do on-the spot research, and your doc is your medical advisor, after all.

btw, i had 0 dilation as well, and was induced at 41 weeks, 1 day because i was starting to have large amounts of protein in my urine.

• imagewombat 3:

I did.  My DS was 10lb 7 oz at birth (15 inch head) and was a vag delivery.  I did end up with a not so nice 4th degree tear and some permanent damage--but I don't think that was due to his weight.  I only pushed for 21 minutes so maybe my body didn't gradually stretch.  

Due to the damage, my OB, a pelvic floor surgeon, and my biofeedback physical therapist has all pretty much told me that I need to have a c-section next time.  :(

Yep, this is my story too.

I had two measurements done during my 3rd trimester, because both DH and I were large babies.  I think, if I remember correctly, the last measurement was at 36w and he measured 6lbs., when he came out at 40w,5days, he was 9lbs 4oz.

Measurements aren't always 100% correct, and maybe they are trying to prevent a tear.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My two were 9 lbs 3.5 oz, and 9 lbs 2.5 oz respectively....both vaginal deliveries.

• Henry was 9 lbs. 6.5 oz. and I had him vaginally. I tore but it wasn't terrible- the hemis were waaaay worse than anythign that happened to my vag.

Also, those u/s to determine weight are waaaaay screwy.  I had one a few days before I had him because my OB suspected he was big and they wanted to check- they offer C-sections to women with over 9 lbs babies but don't "force" them.  The u/s tech said he was about 7-7.5 lbs.  So yeah, they were only about 2 lbs. off...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DD#1 was 9lbs 5oz.  They said that she would be around 8 lbs which I was scared of. How silly of me.   I delievered her vag without a problem.  I did have an epi though so I bet that helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first was 9lb 7oz.  I had some tearing and he broke his clavicle on the way out.  Given that history, my OB recommended a c/s for #2.  He said it was totally up to me and didn't push me to have the c/s.  He also said that he normally doesn't recommend c/s just for big baby unless there are other extenuating circumstances.
    Bianca image.
  • imagejessNdean:
    yeah that's exactly what I was told...so we ended up having a c section....i wanted a vag delivery but when he said that I had gotten all nervouse just for the fact everything was happening so fast...and wasn't expecting that..i did ask about a vbac and he said no...he said only 2 hospitals do that in the state of florida...where I was living at the time....

Sorry that it sounds like you got screwed out of a vag birth...my DD was 9lb 8 oz and she popped right out (but then I'm 5'9 with a boyish built)

You CAN have a VBAC but really need to find an OB and hospital that will work with you.

I work for one of the biggest health systems in NC and it bugs me to see people get screwed out of their options by healthcare "professionals" because they don't speak up. Next time- if something doesn't sound right, get a second opinion, research, ask questions- do everything in your power to be OK with the final decision. Sometimes you will still not get your way- but at least you will know that there was nothing else available and that you made the best decision possible.

• My Co-workers friend just popped out an 11 lb baby this week!
  • DS was measuring between 9lbs 7oz and 10lbs 7oz.  My doc wanted to do a CS because he was worried that DS would get stuck or dislocate a shoulder.  He really scared me so we did a CS.  DS was 9lbs 14oz.  We are TTC #2 and doc said I can try for a VBAC.  Heres hoping! I wish I had been more informed when I had DS, although I'm not sure I'd do things differently.
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • The ultrasounds can be way off.  Mine not so much so when they told me she was 11lbs I said...ARE YOU SERIOUS? and nearly fainted. My OB gave me the choice to be induced or have a c-section.  I told him I wanted to do what was safest for my baby and he said that if I wanted I could be induced (they didn't want her to grow anymore) and if the labour didn't progress I could have a c-section.  I asked what the odds were it would be a c-section and he said high because of my build.  I opted to skip induction and hace a c-section and DD was actually 11lbs2oz. Because of my build there would have been no way I could have pushed her out. 

However there was a girl on the Canada board who was told her baby was in the 9lbs range (I think they might have told her smaller actually) she delivered him vaginally and her comment when she saw him was, "holy crap he's a toddler!"  he was bigger than my DD. 

• My DD was 9lbs 10oz and I made it through. I had to have an episiotomy, the doc used a vacuum and it was almost 6 hours of pushing but I pulled it off. Ultrasound weights can be way off so I wouldn't stress too much, and even if your baby ends up being big I'm sure you can do it! :)

• O was 9lb 9oz. I had an epidural and episiotomy. The recovery was excruciating! Honestly, I owe the vaginal birth to my doctor. I was exhausted and out of it and drugged and if he had suggested c-section I probably would have just nodded my head. He never mentioned a section until after the birth- he said that we narrowly avoided one.
  • My friend just had her second baby and she weighed 9lbs 8oz..her first was 9lbs 12oz, both vaginal deliveries and no tears the second time.  She was told the day she was induced with her 1st that the u/s estimated her at around 7.5 lbs, so it was way off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard! A woman locally just gave birth to a 13lb baby unmedicated and had minimal tearing. Both my sister and I were over 9lbs and my friend gave birth to a 10+ lb baby last year with no complications. My son was 5 1/2 lbs and I had a 2nd degree tear so I really think your doctor is a moron. Also, those measurements can be off by a lb or 2.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Ridiculous.  DS was 9.7
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD2 was 9.5 lbs. I pushed 20 mins and had a 2nd degree tear. Honestly, recovery with her was a breeze...but that's probably because she was my second. DD1 was 8.1 and I had a 2nd degree episiotomy and recovery was awful! The most painful part of DD2's recovery was, TMI, the hemis :/
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • DS was 9 lbs even. Delivery was fine. 

My girlfriend who is tiny had a 9lbs 7 ounce vag delivery and everything was fine. 

This is your second? I would definitely want to try regardless. Half the time they say they know the weight, but have absolutely no clue. They told me DS was suppose to be 7 lbs- NOT! :)  

• DD was 9lbs& 12.75oz, and I had her vaginally, with only a 1st degree tear, they did tell me at the sono she was about 8lbs which they were totally off. I was induced and 1week overdue though, hopeing this one (my second& a boy) is not quite as hefty as his big sister

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• First of all, estimating the size of your baby isn't always right.  They said my oldest was supposed to 9+ but he was 7.5!

Second, I think Drs who say things like that are trying to take the easy way out and don't want to be on call while the mom is in labor.  Pisses me off.

Many, many, many women have given birth to 9+ babies without incident.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I delivered a 10 lb 6.8 oz baby with no pain meds, with PIT, and had minor tearing...and his head was huge and his fist was next to his face (and that's where I tore...on the side).
  • My DD was 9 lbs 2 oz.  I pushed for 3 hours but did deliver her vaginally.  The problem was that she was turned sideways.  I had a 3rd degree tear but honestly think that my body was made to deliver her and could 100% do it. 

I was concerned with LO#2 but my midwife said they don't even think of a C Section unless they think he would be 10 pounds or more and even then, it would be my decision.  He ended up only being 8 pounds 8 oz and I pushed for like 20 mins.  (but did have a 2nd degree tear that time).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I know someone who is very very slender with a boy-ish figure and delivered a baby vaginally that was just shy of 11 lbs with no significant damage.  It can definitely be done!
    My first haircut!

Severe MFI - on to IVF w/ ICSI

IVF#1-2: BFN
    IVF#3: BFP! - 1/24: ET - 5d - 2 blasts - 2/02: Beta #1: 16.2 ...... 2/04: Beta #2: 35 ...... 2/09: Beta #3: 401.5 - I'm pregnant! - 2/13: u/s #1 - baby boy, due 10/12, born 10/16! ...... 8 lbs 0 oz, 22 inches! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I did not (DS was only 8 lbs, 13oz), but one of my friends just delivered a 10 lb, 3oz naturally!!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • Both my kids were just over 8lbs 8oz, so I don't qualify.  But my SIL's kids were over 9lbs, I think her third was over 10.

Weight estimates are chronically wrong.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I was induced at 41 weeks and was told at my NST/growth ultrasound at 40 weeks to expect a 7.5-8 lb baby.  DS was 9 lb even.  I gave birth vaginally.

That being said, I DID have a 4th degree tear AND an episiotomy.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • my sil had a 9.2 baby all natural and she was way over due (she always is this is her 4th )
  • my DD was 9lbs 6oz, vaginal birth. no complications, 2 tiny 1st degree tears. i had a long labor (20 hours) but only pushed for 26 minutes. our estimate wasn't too far off on my due date she measured at 8lbs 11oz, and she was born at 40w2d.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Dx PCOS 09/08 2000mg Met
    TTC #1 from 05/08-02/09 BFP 02/26/09
    DD Born 11/11/09
    Suprise Baby #2 on the way! EDD 8/16/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • My last one was 7.5 but DD was 9 pounds 10 ounces and Ds1 was 8 pounds 10 ounces.   All were vaginal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"