Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Overnights...

My baby girl will be 2 weeks shy of 1 year old when I leave her for her first overnight... I'm kinda nervous as it will be for 2 nights... Does anyone have any suggestions?  Or any stories where you thought they'd miss you and be frantic, but it turns out they were just fine?  Those are the ones I'd like to hear :)  She's hardly ever even been watched by anyone but me in her whole life.. I'm going to go up to visit my sister (who's gonna watch her) sometime before the trip so she's familiar with my sister's place... Maybe I should go up a couple of times... :-/ I'm so nervous!

Re: Overnights...

• Yes, definitely go a few times to get your DD used to your sister and her place.

I've left DD with my MIL a few overnights, and she usually takes her one day during the week. It's very hard at first. The first time I dropped her off, I wasn't even out of the driveway before I was in tears. Not that I didn't think MIL could care for her, but I was worried DD would wonder where I was and if I was coming back.

Your DD will be fine, I promise. It'll be much much harder on you than it will be on her.

And the best part? The big smiles I get when I pick her back up. She is so happy to see me, melts my heart.

GL!

• image AmandaP2008:

Yes, definitely go a few times to get your DD used to your sister and her place.

I've left DD with my MIL a few overnights, and she usually takes her one day during the week. It's very hard at first. The first time I dropped her off, I wasn't even out of the driveway before I was in tears. Not that I didn't think MIL could care for her, but I was worried DD would wonder where I was and if I was coming back.

Your DD will be fine, I promise. It'll be much much harder on you than it will be on her.

And the best part? The big smiles I get when I pick her back up. She is so happy to see me, melts my heart.

GL!

We had my mom stay with us a few times so Shawn and I could go on a date or our anniversary. That wasn't too hard bc Jeanne was at our house. Recently I had a class in Baton Rouge, and dropped her at my mom's to stay for a few nights. We have been there several times all together, but it was harder for me to leave her there instead of my house (of course). But she was fine. My mom was familiar with her "routine" and fav foods, toys, etc. My mom sent me pics and videos (via iPhone) every day. Jeanne was smiling so big when I picked her up, I joked that she would explode!

It's good for you to do over night trips away now than wait until 2-3 when they have always been by your side. That would be harder on both of you.

She will be fine. GL

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DH and I left our DD for two nights when she was about 6 1/2 months old.  I wasn't a happy camper when I left her with my parents (even though I knew she was in great hands) but DH and I needed some alone time (we were on edge with each other over ever little thing).  We went out of town (about 4 hours away) and we talked about her constantly.  We missed her A LOT!  She'll be so happy to see you when you get back.

Good luck!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Angel Baby -- BFP 12/28/10, EDD 09/07/11, D&C 02/28/11 -- I miss you everyday!

• I didn't leave DD1 overnight until she was almost 2, but with DD 2 I left her for an overnight at 5 months, and then again at 9 months.  She did great both times, didn't seem to even notice I was gone.  I wish I'd left DD1 overnight sooner.  It was really nice to be able to get away with Dh.
  • MIL took DS overnight when he was a month old and I had to have surgery.  He's been staying with her about once a month since then.  Like PP said, I don't think he even notices I'm gone.  He's always happy and sleeps just as well as he does at home, but is super happy to see me when I come pick him up.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards