Parenting

Re: Someone needs to take Suri's paci

• Zomg!  Absolutely!
  • My DD is 2 1/4 and I am thinking it's time to wean her from it.

I can't believe that Suri still has one.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • That kid is going to be 5yrs old--time to ditch the paci! Atleast they have the $$ to cover that orthodontic bill from the damage that thing is doing to her mouth. Poor kid prob needs it to soothe herself with those wackos as parents.
  • Yikes!  We cold turkey took Carter's away about a month ago, so two and a half, and it sucked for a few days but now he's totally fine.
  • There was the same controversy over how long she had a bottle too, wasn't there? 

Yeah, 5 is crazy old for a paci. I've been semi-stressing over my 2-year-old still using one. 

• Lol Shiloh. And, yes, I think she was an extended bottle user.

• Yep, time for that binky to go!  We got rid of Ethan's when he was 18 months old--"bought" a toy at Target with them.  It was no big deal.
    Ethan George 11.4.06 Marcus Harvey 3.4.11
  • I'm sure it's a habit that's not easily broken, just like thumb sucking.  But I'd be telling my kid she could only have it in the  house.  Especially when you have paparazzi always taking your picture.

• That's ridiculous. E was almost 3 when we took his, and 5 is ridiculous.
  • It's hard for me to be terribly judgy when my almost 5 year old still sucks her thumb. 

But it's hilarious to see her with the paci when just a few weeks ago she was buying her nannies coffee at Starbucks.  LOL!!

Delaney Grace - 6/29/06
  • A thumb and a paci are two different things. You don't have to run out and buy a thumb. ;-)  I never understood thumb-sucking either though. Who wants a wrinkly, smelly thumb?

• Trust me... I'd love to end the thumb sucking thing... I just have to find the time to start working on it with her (i'll admit - I'm just plain lazy).  The good thing is that she only sucks her thumb when she's falling asleep... so it's not like I see it in her mouth all day long!
    Delaney Grace - 6/29/06
  • imageSMHWife:
    Trust me... I'd love to end the thumb sucking thing... I just have to find the time to start working on it with her (i'll admit - I'm just plain lazy).  The good thing is that she only sucks her thumb when she's falling asleep... so it's not like I see it in her mouth all day long!

I'm much less judgy about this and wasn't trying to give you a hard time. She'll outgrow it.

• No worries... I didn't think you were giving me a hard time... I was just trying to say that I hate the habit too!!!
    Delaney Grace - 6/29/06
  • imagelittlemermaid:

I'm sure it's a habit that's not easily broken, just like thumb sucking.  But I'd be telling my kid she could only have it in the  house.  Especially when you have paparazzi always taking your picture.

Frankly this would be the last reason I would use to wean a kid from a soothing activity, especially one generally as benign as using a pacifier.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I had a paci until I was around 5, I think because I remember it.  But only at night.
    imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • imagePMQ:
    Pacis and bottles...don't bother me a bit. To me it's like the FF vs BF debate...who cares what other people do?

Agreed!  (I think that might be twice in one year we have agreed.  I'm going to go pray for us now!)  :)

• The older she gets the harder it is to take.  Had I not gone on a business trip when dd was 2 she would probably still have hers.  DH is much stronger than I am when it comes to saying no!

My nephew had his forever.  He only had it at night, and he knew he was too old for it and hid it from everyone. I'm surprised she hasn't started to realize that at 5.

• eek!

I wonder how her speech skills are? My 18 mo old is a HARD CORE thumb sucker and I'm told it may be one of the reasons he will probably be starting therapy soon. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It does look strange to me to see a kid that old with a paci, especially since she's always dressed like an adult.  But I'll admit that Bennett still sleeps with a paci, and he turned 3 in November.  His dentist said it was no big deal.  Bennett's top teeth have shifted out a bit, but the dentist said that in his experience, once they stop using it the teeth shift back into place.  He also said that from an orthodontia standpoint, thumb sucking is way worse than the paci, since thumb sucking changes the shape of the palate.  Anyway, we're getting rid of it very soon, but I'm in the "to each their own" camp.  Who cares whether someone else lets their kid use a paci? 

• I just can't for the life of me see why a 5 yr old needs one. Yes, it's a "different strokes for different folks" kind of thing but it's like a kid coming home from school & poppin his mom's boob into his mouth. At some point, you've got to give that sh*t up. I'm the mean mom that took it (paci) away at 2.

• I've seen pics of her ordering and paying for drinks herself at Starbucks. Pretty sure, she's old enough to ditch the paci.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • That girl totally runs their household. Way too much self indulgence. Makes me want to jump on a couch or something.
  • I feel like I can't say anything, DD sucks her thumb & shares a birthday w/Suri. ?
  • Duh you guys, it all comes back to Scientology. They believe that children are capable of making their own decisions and will ultimately decide what is best for themselves. Hence pacifier at 5 and no winter coat in NYC in the dead of winter. Remember all those pics from last year? Katie Holmes is in full winter gear and Suri is in a sundress with bare legs and arms?

confession: I am REALLY judgemental of Scientologists and I think they are all crazy loons, my father is one and he is totally f'ed up.

Also why does Katie Holmes always look like she got 2 hours of sleep the night before? Girlfriend looks WORN OUT!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • love the oh don't worry about thumb sucking she will outgrow it but the paci has to go, un they are the SAME thing, sucking to soothe. I don't see why people get up in arms about this, but then again my 4 year old just got rid of hers for nighttime 4 months ago and it was the easiest thing ever, I plan to let J have one as long as he needs for sleep too. The only mistake i see is actually letting her out of the house with it as she is too old for that, but i would not let her suck her fingers out of the house either. It is like the sippy cup vs bottle thing, same damn thing.

• imageSMHWife:

It's hard for me to be terribly judgy when my almost 5 year old still sucks her thumb. 

I am in the same boat with my almost 5 year old and the thumb but the huge difference here is you can take a paci away but the thumb is connected and trust me, if I could have gotten my DD to stop sucking her thumb a long time ago, I would have.  The horrible tasting crap you put on the nail didn't even work!
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"