Pregnant after IF
Options

HAS ANYONE HAD A SUCCESSFUL IUI WITH LOW SPERM COUNT?

Hello everyone!  This is my first time posting to this website and am hoping for some feedback on any of your experiences :)  We saw a fertility doc in January and went through all the testing, I am 31 - my husband is 39 - neither of us have any children.  All of my testing came back normal (all bloodwork, urine, HSG and hysteroscopy) however my husband had 2 SAs, the first one came back very low at only 1 million, the 2nd one came back at 5 million.  All of his bloodwork and urine also came back normal with the exception of one of his hormone levels which was elevated, he sees a urologist to get this checked into further but not until April 6th :(   When he was a baby he had a hernia operation so we are not sure if this has something to do with his low count yet...the doc recommended IVF however we cannot afford it and our insurance does not cover it so we asked if we could try IUI before jumping into IVF since all of my testing came back normal, the doc said yes it's our choice so we are going to try a few rounds of IUI, I will know Friday after an ultrasound what day it will be done (it will be somewhere between 3/12-3/15).  Have any of you had a successful IUI when your partner had a low sperm count?  Do you have any recommendations for us?  He is doing all the wives tales trying to increase his count, I am praying we will beat the odds and one little swimmy will get through and work!  Thank you all for any feedback :)

Re: HAS ANYONE HAD A SUCCESSFUL IUI WITH LOW SPERM COUNT?

• Options

My husband had very low sperm count and I checked out perfectly fine. I am 26 and he is 30. We decided to try 1 round of IUI because we were paying for everything OOP too. After the 1st IUI failed we quickly decided that we didn't want to waste any more time or money on iui's, and moved straight to IVF. We were successful on our first IVF. Transferred 2 blastocysts and now we're pregnant with a singleton. I am so glad we did not continue with the iui's because I am pretty sure we wouldn't have had any luck with them.

I'm sure there are some people on here who have had success with iui and low sperm count, but unfortunately I am not one of them. I hope that's not the case for you. Best of luck to you guys!

Our 1st IVF miracle, Briggs Sterling, born via c-section due to IUGR and footling breech. 6.5.11. 5:51am. 5lbs 1.5oz.

The Sunny Side of Life Blog Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also meant to add that my hubby had hernia surgery when he was younger and he's always been told that it would NOT affect his fertility, however, I do not believe that. I strongly believe that his issues are directly related to the hernia issues he had as a child.
    Our 1st IVF miracle, Briggs Sterling, born via c-section due to IUGR and footling breech. 6.5.11. 5:51am. 5lbs 1.5oz.

The Sunny Side of Life Blog Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH, 33, had low sperm counts 1 at 6 mill, 1 at less than 1 mill. His was due to low testosterone. He took clomid and it improved his count. Thr next SA was 140 mill or so. Thr first IUI I took clomid too and it was a bust. We then took a cycle off due to a cyst. The next cycle we did the same exact thing but the IUI sperm had a low count so we BD that night and it worked. I was also going to try menopur and clomid with an IUI if I wasn't successful with the 2nd IUI. IVF was something my DH really didn't want to do so we were trying to exhaust everything else first. I hope the urologist has some good news for you. Good luck.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options
    Thanks!  The urologist did a full exam and found nothing structurally wrong with my hubby so at this point it's unexplained :(  I had my 3rd IUI last Wednesday 5/4 and started spotting yesterday afternoon, this did not happen during my first 2 IUIs so I am hoping this is implantation bleeding :)
  • Options
    Well unfortunately our 3rd IUI (pre-wash count was 16 million, post wash was 8 million) was a bust but the doc is confident this route will work since my hubby's sperm count has jumped so much with the vitamins he's taking the last few months, I am attempting #4 next week - fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"