3rd Trimester

New Zealand SIDS statistics

I was reading an article in Pathways magazine and it was talking about the SIDS statistics in New Zealand. I'll just quote part of it:

"New statistics released by the NZ Ministry of Health show that the national rate of SIDS fell by 70% after an educational campaign in wrapping mattresses with special polyethelene covers was begun. The program began after research by a NZ scientist showed a link between SIDS and the toxic fumes emitted by mattresses"

...NZ began to publicize mattress-wrapping in 1994, with the practice widely adopted. Since then, the rate of deaths on unwrapped mattresses has continued to increase, while no deaths have been reported for babies sleeping on wrapped mattresses"

There are other articles online that talk about the "new" (to the US) research. It is not yet scientifically proven, but it is hasn't been proven false either. Looking at those statistics though, I think there is deffinately something to it! I thought this was really amazing and wanted to share it with everyone!

A couple links:

https://www.medical-library.net/content/view/528/41/

https://www.healthychild.com/toxic-sleep/has-the-cause-of-crib-death-sids-been-found/

Re: New Zealand SIDS statistics

• Thanks, I am going to look into this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for that info. I'll be looking into it before we buy a mattress for our crib. I was wondering if an organic mattress was worth it or not....might be to me.
  • Thank you for posting this!  I can say now that I'm very glad DD always refused to sleep in her crib.  No wonder they say that co-sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS when done safely and correctly.  We didn't plan to co sleep with DD, but I'm glad we did.  Next time I place an amazon order, you can bet one of these will be on it.
  • Before we all go wrapping our cribs with New Zealand plastic, I found this article too:

https://www.firstcandle.org/~candle/cms/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Toxic_Gas_Theory.pd

• I used a 2 year old mattress.  My neighbor didn't use her kids' crib... ever.  They bed-shared (and still do).  So, she gave me their crib and mattress.  The crib is in perfect condition and the mattress had plenty of time to get rid of whatever chemical funk it was holding.  
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Not sure if I buy it.....There could also be a correlation between parents that would put the effort into wrapping their baby's mattress and taking the effort to not use bumpers, put blankets or toys in the crib and also check the baby more frequently.  So, basically I think it is really hard to tell how accurate a study like this is when there are obviously other factors involved. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsfaz2be:
    Not sure if I buy it.....There could also be a correlation between parents that would put the effort into wrapping their baby's mattress and taking the effort to not use bumpers, put blankets or toys in the crib and also check the baby more frequently.  So, basically I think it is really hard to tell how accurate a study like this is when there are obviously other factors involved. 

I understand this thought process, but if there is strong evidence to suggest the toxic gas theory could be true, why not opt for the organic mattress? It obviously can't hurt your baby any more than a regular mattress so why not play it safe? Personally, I'll do anything to reduce the SIDS risk because heaven forbid it did happen to me, I'd beat myself up over everything I could have done differently.

I'm also a huge supporter of natural/organic/chemical free products anyway (for numerous reasons) so maybe I'm a little biased.

• imagemrsfaz2be:
    Not sure if I buy it.....There could also be a correlation between parents that would put the effort into wrapping their baby's mattress and taking the effort to not use bumpers, put blankets or toys in the crib and also check the baby more frequently.  So, basically I think it is really hard to tell how accurate a study like this is when there are obviously other factors involved. 

I understand that their could be other factors. I also realize that it has not yet been scientifically proven... I just have a hard time not seeing that there is really something to it when NO sids deaths have been reported from those using wrapped mattresses.I highly dount that every single parent who wrapped a mattress also followed every single other sids precautions. Especially when they almost exclusively recommend wrapping as the only precaution. It is deffinately something worth looking into. Especially for those (like myself) who can't afford dropping 300 bucks on an organic crib mattress.

• imageamy21tom:

imagemrsfaz2be:

I understand this thought process, but if there is strong evidence to suggest the toxic gas theory could be true, why not opt for the organic mattress? It obviously can't hurt your baby any more than a regular mattress so why not play it safe? Personally, I'll do anything to reduce the SIDS risk because heaven forbid it did happen to me, I'd beat myself up over everything I could have done differently.

I'm also a huge supporter of natural/organic/chemical free products anyway (for numerous reasons) so maybe I'm a little biased.

I felt that an organic mattress was worth it for DD and will do the same for baby.  For something that is used so often and for several years I felt that the extra cost was worth it. 

I have a this plastic mattress cover over DD's mattress as well to protect the mattress from leaks & throw up.  I'm not sure what it is made out of though but it completely encases the matress.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
    2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
    2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"