February 2011 Moms
Options

I have a cold, is taking Benadryl safe?

Ugh I started feeling awful last night. I am EBFing and not even thinking about it I took Benedryl last night. I have nursed twice and pumped twice since then, and have taken a total of 2 doses of benedryl. I just assumed it was safe because they told me when I was sick and pregnant I could take it, and also gave it to me in the hospital after labor due to an allergic reaction to morphine. Kellymom.com lists is as a L2 safer drug? Does anyone know if it is ok to take this while breastfeeding? I have googled and and getting conflicting answers site to site. Some said it can decrease milk supply- if so would I have seen this already with the 2 doses taken?

Anyone have any suggestions for other cold medicine that is safe? I have a headache, sore throat from slightly runny nose, etc.

Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I have a cold, is taking Benadryl safe?

• Options
    My LC said Benadryl, Sudafed and Clairitin are all okay. You can also take aleve, motrin etc while BF even though you cant while pregnant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I just started getting a head cold yesterday and I called my OB/GYN to speak to a nurse about what I can and cannot take because I am pumping.  The nurse said to stay away from Sudafed and those sorts of medicines because they can dry your supply up.  She said that if it is a last resort, to make sure to drink tons of liquids while you are taking the Sudafed. 

Se said to try a nasal spray first and see if that helps. Hope you feel better soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LC told me not to take any kind of decongestant for my cold because it can dry up your milk supply. I've had a cold for about 1.5 weeks and I'd love to take something! For my headache/sinus pain I've been taking ibuprofen and for my sore throat I've been drinking tea with honey and gargling with salt water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"