Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC & Anesthesia question...

I just started TTC this month, but also got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. I was told by my mother-in-law not to tell the dentist I might be pregnant because the anesthesia wouldn't hurt it at this point. I won't know for sure if I am pregnant until the 26th.I got the anesthesia,and was prescribed vicodin for the pain.I was feeling just fine afterwards,and it was a welcome relief that those pesky teeth were gone.But I can't help but worry if this is going to hinder my chances of conceiving this month. Also, is it too early to have morning sickness? I had a bout of vomiting this morning, but I don't know if its too early for that or not. I know its not the vicodin, I have taken that plenty in my lifetime. The last time I threw up was when I was 16 and had the stomach flu. I have a stomach of steel. Any thoughts on either of these? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: TTC & Anesthesia question...

• Options
    I've never had a situation that required anesthesia while TTC, but it is probably way too early for nausea, only speaking from personal experience.  With my only BFP, I was 7 days late and had just experienced some light nausea a few days before that (would have been 4 days late at that point.)  Do you chart CM & BBT?  Are you sure you timed sex with O that could even result in pg?  GL.

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I timed it with O,but I could always be wrong.I don't chart,but if I don't end up with a BFP either this month or next,then I plan on starting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unless you're using an OPK in place of charting (not always fool-proof though), it's difficult to tell when you O.  Before I started charting I just assumed I was O'ing when my phone period tracker app said I was, but it was a couple days off, which can make all the difference.  I had know idea when I got married what could affect conception chances (using lube like KY) or the fact that you want to have sex a few days before your O and up to for an increased chance of conception.  I've seen many ladies on here suggest a book "Taking Charge of Your Own Fertility," which could be very helpful.  If I don't conceive on my next cycle, I'm getting it!  Best of luck to you and yea for getting rid of pesky teeth you don't need! 

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options
    The only time I've had a procedure that may need anesthesia during TTC I out right refused to have it.  IMO, I think anytime you're in a situation like that it is best to talk to your doctor (or dentist) about it so that they are aware also. In the event something did go wrong, it may change how they treat you.  In my particular case I had to sign several waivers and the doctor had to 'approve' me to proceed without the anesthesia. In my case I was able suck up the pain from the procedure and deal with it, but I understand that's not the case for all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagetrjulian09:
    I just started TTC this month, but also got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. I was told by my mother-in-law not to tell the dentist I might be pregnant because the anesthesia wouldn't hurt it at this point. I won't know for sure if I am pregnant until the 26th.I got the anesthesia,and was prescribed vicodin for the pain.I was feeling just fine afterwards,and it was a welcome relief that those pesky teeth were gone.But I can't help but worry if this is going to hinder my chances of conceiving this month. Also, is it too early to have morning sickness? I had a bout of vomiting this morning, but I don't know if its too early for that or not. I know its not the vicodin, I have taken that plenty in my lifetime. The last time I threw up was when I was 16 and had the stomach flu. I have a stomach of steel. Any thoughts on either of these? 

coming from a health care professional (I work in the OR so I deal with anesthesia everyday)... why would you hold back the fact that you are TTC??? even if it won't effect your baby at this point, it is still good information to share with anyone who is taking care of you. It may also effect what they give you during and AFTER the procedure.

Also YES it could be the vicodin. Just because you've taken it before does not mean it wont effect you differently now.

just my pet peeves, but we are taking care of you and withholding information from us is not a good idea. Sorry to be a soapbox rant, but I don't know if people don't realize how important things are and why we do what we do. stepping down now.

• Options
    Have you had anesthesia before?  I believe it can cause nausea/vomiting as a side effect for some people (even if you don't always respond to it that way).
  • Options
    imageprplscrubs:

imagetrjulian09:

coming from a health care professional (I work in the OR so I deal with anesthesia everyday)... why would you hold back the fact that you are TTC??? even if it won't effect your baby at this point, it is still good information to share with anyone who is taking care of you. It may also effect what they give you during and AFTER the procedure.

Also YES it could be the vicodin. Just because you've taken it before does not mean it wont effect you differently now.

just my pet peeves, but we are taking care of you and withholding information from us is not a good idea. Sorry to be a soapbox rant, but I don't know if people don't realize how important things are and why we do what we do. stepping down now.

Amen! I am a HC provider as well & cannot stand when people seek my advice and don't tell me the whole story. The anesthesia will not affect TTC this month & the Vicodin & anesthesia can very well be making you sick today.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"