December 2010 Moms

? on 2mo shots

Our state gives an oral rotavirus vac and i just feel like i dont want her to get this one.Am i paranoid? and if i dont want, do i call before the appointment and tell them we arent giving it to her at this time???

Re: ? on 2mo shots

• Ava got it. I feel like a bad mommy for not knowing why you might refuse it, but why wouldn't you want her to have it?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You can just tell them at the appointment that you don't want her getting that one. Why don't you want her to have that though?
  • Max got it and everything went fine with it. If you're having doubts about it, you could always call the office and talk to a nurse or doctor.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • the side affects for some have been horrible and she is so little(weight was low) this 'live' virus i am concerned with protecting her from rotavirus, yet if its a problem, why aren't all states giving it? i know the boys didnt have it.  i would give it when shes bigger. i have never felt i shouldnt give vacs, just this one. i don't think bad mommies give this one! shes just still so little i want her to be a little bigger if that makes sense.

• You can just tell them at the appointment, that's what I did yesterday.  There is a time limit on that vaccine though, so you can't decide when she's a year old that you want her to have it.  I just wanted to let you know :)
    image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really dont understand why people refuse certain vaccines. Obviously the pros outweigh the cons or else they wouldnt be giving them to your child. Do you really think that you know more about vaccines and diseases then researchers, scientists, and all other medical professionals? They have been giving vaccines for decades...is there anything wrong with us? We all had them Im sure.

Now, as far as the Rotavirus vaccine is concerned, yes, it hasnt been around for as long as other vaccines....BUT it is proven to protect babies and children against the rotovirus....which can be fatal. So...obviously the pros outweight the cons in this situation.

Thats my opinion. I know this can be a touchy subject so to each their own...but thats how I feel.

• My DS just got his yesterday and my first son also got it. Not a big deal to me. But if you want to skip it, certainly up to you! Just tell the doc to leave that one out at the appt.
  • image lindsayluong12:
    You can just tell them at the appointment, that's what I did yesterday.  There is a time limit on that vaccine though, so you can't decide when she's a year old that you want her to have it.  I just wanted to let you know :)

ok did you not get this one? I was thinking 4, 6, 9 mo, versus 2,4,6mo

• image mlbnyy2:

image lindsayluong12:
    You can just tell them at the appointment, that's what I did yesterday.  There is a time limit on that vaccine though, so you can't decide when she's a year old that you want her to have it.  I just wanted to let you know :)

ok did you not get this one? I was thinking 4, 6, 9 mo, versus 2,4,6mo

I did not get the Rotavirus.  I'm not sure if you can wait until 4 months to get it, it's a very small window.  You should definitely ask your doctor because I can't remember the exact time limit.  

image image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can't get the rotovirus vaccine after 8 months, it will not be effective after that point. I will be getting it for E b/c it was so important (and still is) for LP to not get it. Rotovirus is a horrible diarhea virus that can kill them if they get it and hospitalize them at the very least. I guess we have other circumstances b/c something like that would devestate LP's system and could cause major issues and long hospitalizations...not worth the risk to me. LP never had a problem with it, so E will get it Monday at her appt.

• image laura101:

I really dont understand why people refuse certain vaccines. Obviously the pros outweigh the cons or else they wouldnt be giving them to your child. Do you really think that you know more about vaccines and diseases then researchers, scientists, and all other medical professionals? They have been giving vaccines for decades...is there anything wrong with us? We all had them Im sure.

Now, as far as the Rotavirus vaccine is concerned, yes, it hasnt been around for as long as other vaccines....BUT it is proven to protect babies and children against the rotovirus....which can be fatal. So...obviously the pros outweight the cons in this situation.

Thats my opinion. I know this can be a touchy subject so to each their own...but thats how I feel.

Your right it is a touchy subject and I know 'they' know more than me when it comes to what children need. But if a vac is going to make my child that ill, I feel that the con far out weighs the pro of it. I have never refused any vacs for my boys and I have done the research on it.  BUT if my boys didn't get the vac then, why should my daughter get because I am in a new state? Just because something is new doesn't make it benefical for my child.  I don't think the severe stomach pains and diarrehea, fever and completely miserable feeling this vac can cause, is worth it. Not all experience this but she has had difficulty gaining weight and is petite.  I know that every disease is fatal I am not an idiot and would do anything to protect my children.  I can appreciate your opinion and I was asking those a question with regards how to approach with the peditricians office.
  • image mlbnyy2:
    image laura101:

I really dont understand why people refuse certain vaccines. Obviously the pros outweigh the cons or else they wouldnt be giving them to your child. Do you really think that you know more about vaccines and diseases then researchers, scientists, and all other medical professionals? They have been giving vaccines for decades...is there anything wrong with us? We all had them Im sure.

Your right it is a touchy subject and I know 'they' know more than me when it comes to what children need. But if a vac is going to make my child that ill, I feel that the con far out weighs the pro of it. I have never refused any vacs for my boys and I have done the research on it.  BUT if my boys didn't get the vac then, why should my daughter get because I am in a new state? Just because something is new doesn't make it benefical for my child.  I don't think the severe stomach pains and diarrehea, fever and completely miserable feeling this vac can cause, is worth it. Not all experience this but she has had difficulty gaining weight and is petite.  I know that every disease is fatal I am not an idiot and would do anything to protect my children.  I can appreciate your opinion and I was asking those a question with regards how to approach with the peditricians office.

The difficult part of this situation is... if it makes your child ill to get the vaccine, then you will regret getting it, but if you dont get the vaccine and your child gets the rotovirus then you will regret not getting the vaccine. I woud ask the doctors what percent of kids get ill from the vaccine and what pecent of kids get the virus.

If you do decide not to go through with it, I would just tell them your concerns..maybe you can get it later on when your baby gains some weight..or maybe not at all. It is up to you. Dont let them persuay you one way or the other.

• My pedi said you needed to start Rotivirus before 12 weeks.  If you're debating on getting it, double check with your pedi what's the latest you can start the Rotivirus series.

FWIW, I'm doing delayed vaccines with DS.  He'll have all of the vaccines he needs by the time he's ready to start KG and my pedi is very supportive of this schedule.  I'm not skipping any vaccines altogether though.  My niece is 7 and actually got Rotivirus (not the vaccine, but the actual illness) when she was around a year old.  My SIL said my niece was so sick and she passed it to SIL and my brother.  I don't think that vaccine was around back then, or at least SIL said she wasn't told to get it by pedi's office.  So, I really wanted to make sure DS got the vaccine after knowing what my niece went through.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image laura101:
    image mlbnyy2:
    image laura101:

The difficult part of this situation is... if it makes your child ill to get the vaccine, then you will regret getting it, but if you dont get the vaccine and your child gets the rotovirus then you will regret not getting the vaccine. I woud ask the doctors what percent of kids get ill from the vaccine and what pecent of kids get the virus.

If you do decide not to go through with it, I would just tell them your concerns..maybe you can get it later on when your baby gains some weight..or maybe not at all. It is up to you. Dont let them persuay you one way or the other.

Your not kidding, its so crazy that this being a 3rd child it would be easier and its not! the research shows that every child gets it by the age of 5. I just don't want to make the wrong decisionCrying We see the NP and she is an LC and she is GREAT.  So once I see what her weight is I will feel better and talk to her.  I didn't want to walk in say I didn't want something when its all planned for the visit.  Also as a BF baby her stools are very watery which concern me and she gets 4-6oz of formula a day. Her having 2 older brothers and me freaking about the handwashing I am just having difficulty and I am afraid the vac may trigger a bad reaction. I appreciate all the of the experiences you have all had, I still have until the 28thSurprise

• One issue that my pedi brought to our attention concerning rotavirus is that it is very common in the spring months and therefore the benefits of giving it outweighed the cons due to the fact that we are moving into the spring and Makenzie is still so young. 

Makenzie got her shots yesterday. She was super crabby last night and sleepy today but otherwise fine. 

I understand your concerns about her being so small though.  Like PP said just tell your pedi you don't want the vaccine.  We didn't give the hep b vaccine at the hospital.  I felt like the nurses and doctors didn't like the idea but whatever.  She got it yesterday along with everything else.  I preferred to have my pedi take care of everything.

But the truth is plain to see:She was sent to rescue me,I see who I wanna be, in my daughter's eyes

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Everyone has an opinion and to each their own, but that opinion doesn't make you right.

As for the Rotavirus, my pediatrician doesn't even administer the shot anymore because apparently it was recalled 3 times and he feels the side effects are too risky. Therefore my daughter will not be getting it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We dont skip or delay anything--we just do what is 'scheduled' for that visit...Ari got her 2 mo shots as well as the oral. My boys (almost 6 and 7) never got an oral vaccine--so I dont think it was around then--or at least not available at the pedis that we went to. After their shots, as babies, the most that happened was a low grade temp (under 100) and tenderness/fussiness. This, in my opinion, is FAR better than any of my kiddos getting any of the illnesses they are vaccinating against. After the age of 2ish--the hardest part was GIVING them the shots--after that, the stickers cured everything.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers