Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Lexapro while breastfeeding

I took lexapro before I was pregnant for a couple of years for anxiety.  When I got pregnant, it made me really sick so I went off of it.  I did surprisingly well without it.  Now LO is here and I am having the baby blues.  I know it is normal, I know it is expected, but it's thrown me for a loop.  I am so happy - I have the 3 most beautiful children in the world and a supportive husband...there is absolutely no reason for me to be upset, yet I find myself sitting and crying for absolutely no reason.  I am wondering if it is worth trying to get back on lexapro or if this will go away on its own after a short while.  My biggest concern is whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks to my baby who is nursing.  I am concerned for her now as well as how it would affect her when I wean her later on.  Does anyone have experience with this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lexapro while breastfeeding

• here is the lactmed data:

up to 20 mg daily produce low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months. Based on limited data, escitalopram appears to be preferable to racemic citalopram during breastfeeding because of the lower dosage and milk levels and general lack of adverse reactions in breastfed infants. Monitor the infant for drowsiness, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants and when using combinations of psychotropic drugs. 

https://www.infantrisk.com/content/antidepressant-usage-during-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding 

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~KHFWHQ:1

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • I've been taking a low dose of Xanax for anxiety for a week (LO is 2 weeks old).  I'm normally a nervous person but I've been really anxious since giving birth.  I was breastfeeding and pediatrician was not thrilled.  Turns out LO has a milk protein allergy so I've had to switch to FF anyway but peditrician did let me know that virtually all anti-anxiety medications are not great for breastfeeding.  I am actually going to speak to my doctor about switching to Lexapro or a higher dosage because it seems like the dosage I'm taking isn't really taking the edge off anymore.  I totally sympathize with your situation.  Baby blues or PPD whatever it is, it stinks!!
  • Loading the player...
  • There are other meds that are safe when nursing, like Zoloft. 

It's always worth it to take care of yourself. If you can't take care of yourself your not going to be able to take the best possible care of your baby.

Just b/c you have the blues doesn't mean that you don't love your kids or your husband or that you're not happy with your life. I personally wouldn't let it go assuming it's going to get better, esp since you have a history of this problem, but that's JMO.

You should talk to your dr.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had antepartum depression during my third trimester.  I tried to deal with it without taking meds, but it was just too awful.  I knew I would continue to take medication after the baby was born because I was then at higher risk for PPD as well.  I tried Zoloft since it's considered one of the safer, but it made me feel worse.  I then tried Celexa and it worked.  My lactation consultant, OB, and pediatrician were all fine with this choice for breastfeeding.  Haven't weaned totally yet but I don't anticipate any problems when I do, I think it's a pretty low amount that passes through the breastmilk, less significant than taking it while pregnant.  She is BF about 80% and FF 20%. 

How long have you had the baby blues?  My doctor indicated to definetely call them if it lasted longer than 3 weeks or felt like it was something more. 

• Thanks.  I'm such a wimp...DD is only 10 days old...so it hasn't been that long and I know that this just might need time to run its course.  I talked to my OB yesterday and he suggested I start up again and then we will discuss it further at my 6 week appt...but this ought to at least help me get over that hump.  Thanks, ladies...I appreciate your input!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"