The Eco-Friendly Family

I know there is a CD board now

But I like you ladies and I like this board. :)

Anyone who uses only prefolds--how many covers do you have? I am finding we go through 3-5 covers every day!!! E poops sooooooooooo often. And even if the poop doesn't get on the cover I feel like I *have* to change covers after a poop, I'm just grossed out by not changing the cover after a poop. 

Yesterday he pooped five times!!!! Twice before 8am!!!! (What are we feeding this kid??)

With coin-op basement laundry instead of in-apartment convenient laundry we tend to wash only twice/week.

This is insane. I need more covers.

Re: I know there is a CD board now

• Well, we don't use exclusively pfs, but that's most of what we use during the day, and except for maybe 3 diapers that we use mostly for school or outings in the diaper bag, the others are fitteds.  We only have 2 covers.  It is very rare that he gets the covers dirty - very rare.  He poops generally 2 - 3 times a day.  He also currently spends a fair amount of time nekkid or in undies, but that is fairly recent and we've only had the two covers for  months and months at this point.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I must have more than 10 covers and it's not enough! Am I being silly for changing the cover when there's no poop on it? Someone tell me. I really do not want to be sinking more money into diapering him when he is 2 1/2 and is going to potty learn soon (please, please, PLEASE)
  • We never had more than 3 covers (although we don't use pfs most of the time now).  I found that handwashing worked really well and that they dried by the next time I needed it, so never got any more even when I was annoyed certain days at the number of poops and resulting washes.
  • image iluvmadbiker:
    I must have more than 10 covers and it's not enough! Am I being silly for changing the cover when there's no poop on it? Someone tell me. I really do not want to be sinking more money into diapering him when he is 2 1/2 and is going to potty learn soon (please, please, PLEASE)

I wouldn't wash the cover if it didn't have poop on it (and obviously I don't, with 2).  We just air them out.  If you wanted, you could always spritz the PUL with some vinegar and wipe it out, but we don't even bother with that.  We just try to make sure they go through the wash every 3rd wash or so.  Never had an issue with them feeling unclean/stinky, etc.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Unless there's poop on the cover, or it starts to smell, I don't wash the cover.

• We have 5 covers and it works fine. If she doesn't get poop on the cover, I don't wash it. I let it air dry, or if she was super wet, I hand wash it and hang it up til the next change.