Eco-Friendly Family

Yet Another Reason to Produce Less Garbage & Trash:

Image: Garbage, snow on New York street

LINK

Let's count the recyclables in the wrong location, shall we?

GROSS!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Yet Another Reason to Produce Less Garbage & Trash:

• EW! At first I thought this was a pic from a third world country...WOW.

And just because recycling is available doesn't mean people use it or use it correctly. We have curbside collection and I routinely see our neighbors using their recycling can as a trash can with clearly non-recyclable things in them. It really irritates me to see that all the time. 

Maybe recycling should be required rather than optional? My BIL lives in Switzerland and they are required to sort their trash 7 different ways for recycling. If they don't there are heavy fines and trash service will stop for them. And they have to use special biodegradable (small) trash bags that cost something like $25 for 10 bags. So they are really discouraged from creating a lot of trash. Not saying we should do it all that way, but I think its a good idea and would love to live there :)

And how gross to have a trash collection backlog...ick ick ick

• imageproudarmywife08:
    And they have to use special biodegradable (small) trash bags that cost something like $25 for 10 bags. So they are really discouraged from creating a lot of trash. Not saying we should do it all that way, but I think its a good idea and would love to live there :)

Honestly, while I'm not one to want to raise what I pay for anything at this point in my life, sometimes I think that raising gas and trash collection prices is the only way to really change anything.  I think there are technically fines here if you don't sort out recyclables, but that doesn't stop people. 

Honestly, this area it is SO easy to recycle.  All trash providers have curbside recycling, most of them don't make you sort it out, they provide dumpster drop off areas for composting, they take (well, you drop off) leaves and small yard waste for free (which gets used in their composting) and a local grocery store has teamed up with the waste district to be drop off point for recycling plastic bags of all sorts.  Even a lot of the hazardous materials can be dropped off FOR FREE.  C'mon, people!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"